Littler Mendelson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Tom Bender & Jeremy Roth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are truly experts in the field of labor and employment law" (in 5 reviews)

• "I've seen that in a lot of big companies, and law firms in general I noticed tend to throw a lot of parties" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is a very corporate law firm" (in 16 reviews)

• "This company believes there's NO talent in Kansas City - but they moved their Global Service Center to" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Attorney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly specialized, skilled and professional attorneys, promotes diversity, excellent client base, excellent support and leveraging of technology.

Cons

Just the rigors of the practice of law. This is a very supportive place to practice

2. "Associate Attorney"

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time

Pros

Good diversity, team atmosphere, knowledgeable mentors

Cons

Overall experience depends on the Managing Shareholder of your office

3. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager In IT Department in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager In IT Department in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Littler for over 9 years now. I started as an analyst and was promoted multiple times, now I'm a senior manager. I'm living proof that the sky is the limit at Littler Mendelson. My favorite aspects of working here have been the opportunity for advancement, the ability to work on new and exciting projects, and the amount of autonomy given when working on said projects.

Also, we recently located to Kansas City, MO and the new office and people there are great!

Cons

Since we've moved our corporate HQ to Kansas City, I have to travel there a lot, but I get a lot of airline miles out of it so it's actually kind of nice.

4. "Nothing but good things to say, but every office is different"

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for Littler since 2013 and have nothing but good things to say. But, they have over 50 offices and I'm sure every office is different. It's hard to evaluate from Glassdoor reviews given that so many of these reviews are anonymous and you don't know what office they are referring to. I don't work at the Global Services Center in Kansas City, but I do work with dozens of people who are located there. They are all happy in their positions and love working at that location. But, again, there are many departments and two or three hundred people working there, so some departments might be as bad as some of these reviews. All I know is the 3 departments I work with, all the people are very happy.

For me, work life balance is amazing. The work is challenging and moves quickly. If you do a good job, you're treated well.

Cons

The worst I can say is that the raises are average. They're usually around cost of living, but the annual bonus helps. Vacation time is average as well.

Some of the software/systems are antiquated, but they're working fast to become a cutting-edge systems firm.

Advice to Management

Find ways to make raises a little better. And, maybe think about better parental leave.

5. "Have never regretted coming here - great place"

Current Employee - Staff Member
    Current Employee - Staff Member

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at quite a few law firms, and while all have their pros and cons, I'm the happiest at Littler than I've been at any firm. It's still a job (there's a reason we get paid to come to work, after all!) but the work I do is satisfying, and the people are among the best I've ever worked with, both in terms of work quality and personality.

Cons

I don't know that this is a "con" but the firm is growing fast, and the pace can be pretty fast. So far people have been very respectful of me and my colleagues balancing work with our lives, but just know you will be expected to produce and produce fast. So if that doesn't work for you, this might not be your professional home.

Advice to Management

I appreciate your level of transparency with everyone at the firm - staff and attorneys. I am a staff member and that level of respect for staff is not common at law firms the size of Littler. Know that your staff in corporate and in the practice offices is a powerful resource in driving change - we are often more open to it and more ready to make change than the Shareholders because we have less invested (literally) in the current state. So leverage us to help you.

I do think you need to look at paid parental leave for staff below the manager level. I'm a manager and I wish my staff had the same benefit. Other than that, keep up the good work.

6. "Legal Secretary"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time

Pros

Good benefits, strong team environment, good resources for information.

Cons

No advancement opportunities for secretaries.

"Not what you would think ..."

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time

Pros

Offices are in prime locations - expensive rent. Which I'm not so sure is important but it's a Fact - their offices are generally in prime real estate locations and they spend a lot of money on marketing as well. Oh and booze - they always have big parties, and hapoy hours, etc...
    - even in a weak econony - which I'm not so sure is good (I don't drink) but it probably makes the lawyers happy because they mostly drink heavy. So maybe all the parties are good for them. And they also use company funds to buy personal items for themselves like expensive Non-alcoholic beverages that are not routinely ordered by the office manager, and in Fact are banned from other staff (meaning if other staff ordered it or drank any they'd get in trouble). This is Evidently what's important to Littler: expensive real esate, clever manipulative marketing, and booze. They spemd a lot of money on that. But as you can clearly see from the reviews - they're not spending money on recruiting good leaders and paying above market salaries. But they'll overpay for booze, marketing, and real estate. While all the employees on here - even the ones giving it 5 stars indicate pay is below what the market rate is.

Cons

Lawyers are not attracted to the firms b/c they have a passion for Human rights or social justice - they're Bullies and liars. They shove a gag order down your throat - and make employees sign an agreement that you can't sue the firm. If it's such a great place to work you should ENCOURAGE people to voice their concerns and have a meaningful conversation and work to focus on the area of law you say you do.

Needless to say - I have No reason to be convinced this biglaw firm really gives a hoot about providing a Non toxic work environment. I have No Evidence to support this. And they have leadership problems. The managers are racist and you really wouldn't want me to repeat the things I've heard and seen here ...
    Very ugly people.

And that's putting it kindly.

They don't even deserve 1 star! That's generous.

Advice to Management

Be the company you SAY you are. Don't shove gag orders down people's throats. If it's such a great place to work - why have employees sign an agreement not to talk about what's it's like to work there as a condition of accepting employment. Obviously people whom have a passion for Human Rights might be attracted to this focus. But Littler is HARDLY the standard. And that's putting it kindly.

8. "Associate"

I worked at Littler Mendelson full-time

Pros

Well-organized and provides great support to attorneys, allowing you to be more efficient and to spend less non-billable time on administrative functions. I felt like everyone was treated with respect, and especially for a company that size, I was impressed with how open and welcoming leadership was equally to partners, associates, and staff.

Cons

It is a very corporate law firm.

9. "FTA"

I have been working at Littler Mendelson full-time

Pros

Flexibility, work from Home, interesting Work.

Cons

None none none none none

10. "Firm provides many opportunities for development"

I worked at Littler Mendelson full-time

Pros

The firm values development and invests in opportunities for training for new associates. The firm also values diversity and supports community projects of its attorneys.

Cons

Similar challenges that one finds in any law firm.