Live365 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
N. Mark Lam

1. "Too Bad It Had To End"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance, collegiate company culture (in some depts), nice location, interesting combination of traditional radio and the web

Cons

Company was too dependent on royalty rates staying the same. Advertising revenue never offset enough of the costs of operations. Premium listening fees a little too high.

Advice to Management

Find a way to mitigate some of the royalty costs while still offering compelling content.

2. "(Dis)fun(ctional) while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Appealing concept (give anyone an internet connection a chance to broadcast their own radio channel), great co-workers, free snacks, reasonable hours.

Cons

Business doomed by always rising costs (royatlies and licensing), and slowly declining revenue despite much effort by everyone to come up with ways to make money. Frugal company made other companies looked more appealing to work at (aging equipment, rare company outings). Operating structure for company with multiple revenue streams and few resources not handled good, made unhealthy competition between deparments and project leaders (lying about potential revenue, timelines). There was a few years of multiple leadership changes that wiped out company bank accont.

Advice to Management

Great Brand Name, would be nice to sell to someone that can try something new with it

3. "Hard to see the company shut its door"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment, Being a junior level QA engineer, I had the freedom to director level in Dev team. I really enjoyed working there

Cons

Very old technology, the investors or the CEO never accepted to change to new technology

5. "The epitome of poor management"

Former Employee - Middle Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team of people! The team was dedicated and wanted to win.We were family.

Cons

There was no vision, no leadership. The people that were selected to be the CEO of the company were incompetent. They had no idea of the power of the digital space that we were operating in. They didn't even use the product and really had no idea what the company did. They would impose stupid work guidelines and make unrealistic demands on staff members. The work environment could best be described as toxic. There was a lot of yelling, finger-pointing and blaming. It was always a blessing when the CEO was not in the office because of back problems or because he was flying around the world spending the company's money on his own whims. The company did not close down because of higher licensing costs, but rather to the mismanagement of the company's funds.

Advice to Management

Too late, because the company has closed.

6. "Puff, the company is gone"

Former Employee - Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely patient investor and nice office view.

Cons

Lack of business direction and afraid of revenue commitment on business proposals.

Advice to Management

CEO should do his job

"Company Laid Off Everybody"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great building with fantastic CS and Sales co-workers.

Cons

Well.. We all just got laid off so there is that... What led to one of the first and premier online radio companies to fold? Lack of vision, paranoia, horrendous CEO leadership -- just to name a few.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Wish I believed there was more potential."

Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Live365 (Less than a year)

Pros

At the time I worked there, half of the team assembled was really awesome. Truly great people with excellent ideas on the content, product, BD, and sales side.

Cons

The tech side is a disaster. Absolutely ZERO transparency and outdated technology.

Upper management is very old school and uses fear to enforce company policies. Perhaps this has changed, but in 2014, you were required at one point to list your hours at your desk. If you hadn't arrived within your designated start time, you were subject to a call from HR.

If you had a dentist appointment during your lunch and arrived back 30 minutes late, it came out of your PTO.

At one point, all of my coworkers were looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Time to embrace the new workplace trends and technology. Also, be nicer to your employees. Hopefully this has changed with the new CEO.

"Executive Sales"

Current Employee - Senior SalesExecutive in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior SalesExecutive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Live365 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are an exception amount of Pros at Live365 if you plan on never going anywhere in life. If you like a company that never knows what direction their going in. Another Pro if you like working with employees that have been fired for sexual harassment, then you definitely want to work here. If you like working for under what you are worth, well this is the place for you. Live365 is great at ambulance chasing so I found out my 2nd week there.
    Now the management as others have said is Yes, a total joke for a stale 15 year start up that has more problems with SoundExchange it's a wonder they are still trying to sell the same broken equipment. What got me to go to work everyday? Well the hopefulness of getting a raise. You can make more as a Lyft driver with no headaches.

Cons

Too many to list other than a very corrupt company that discriminates.

Advice to Management

To Current Management - Please just do us all a favor and walk away. You do more damage when your working.

10. "Feeling Anxious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Live365 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not in SF, free parking, nice building!

Cons

Uncertainty in the workplace is not a good feeling.

11. "I have hope for this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work there are great and the office space and views are amazing!

Cons

There are some long term employees that are stuck in a rut and a very antiquated way of doing things and they really need to go. Young fresh blood is not taken very seriously, things move at a snails pace and the tech team is using old everything. I'm hopeful as they have new management now and maybe things will be better.

Advice to Management

Those people who have been there for ages that you think are the best are the issue with the company.