LiveCareer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Don't just go through positive reviews on Glassdoor, many good reviews posted by HR team (in 3 reviews)

• Technology they are using very old and not going to adopt anything new because it can create problem for old employees (in 3 reviews)

"Love It Here"

I have been working at LiveCareer full-time

Pros

Everyone gets along -- real communal atmosphere

Cons

Space crunch -- trying to alleviate that

"Missed Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LiveCareer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are an interesting mix of very smart and talented people. The success that the company's founders have built is impressive from a category that you could think of running a business in.

Startup energy

A good level of after hours bonding with staff. Potential for a great culture

Cons

Lack of innovation, Lack of incentivizing innovation and as a result, very conservative approach to the product development.

One of the bigger challenges with the company is that delicate balance between the DNA that the founders started the company with, taking chances in building innovation, is now morphine into A risk adverse substandard experience that everyone within the company seems blinded to.

Having looked at the analytics as well as the customer sentiment, it stands to reason why the company that can make a lot of money month over month with upwards to 90% of the previous customers abandoning the product, would fail to find key venture funding for themselves.

It hurts me to save this because of the aforementioned fact that throughout the company there are incredibly smart people. I think, however, culturally, that mix of people who come from other companies used to running things there certain way produces a type of friction that leads to what other reviews have described as disorganization and inefficient processes.

One of the challenges comes from the imbalance between striving for business profits, an essential activity for any company, without the clear-cut values and ethics. It leads to everyone in director level positions to become various forms of car salesman and tends to force them to lie and obscure the reality in order to me their numbers and sales goals.

At the time I was working with the company, the bulk of the company was made up of less seasoned individuals. Although I'm sure that their talents were evident, the gap between very senior leadership and much of the staff having 2 to 3 years of experience was evident.

Advice to Management

I would simply ask the owners and management to remember my and others parting interviews. Much of that advice has been shared.

"Top Management is Out of Touch with Product + People"

I have been working at LiveCareer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I work with is very talented, approachable, and friendly. If you want to build your skills, this is a great place to work/or start your career - since there's room for growth. Office is centrally located. Work-Life balance is amazing. Unlimited PTO is a great perk.

Cons

Top management (CEO, CMO, VPs and Directors) are out of touch with the product - only concerned with revenue creation even if it means to compromise the user experience. Huge business ethics issues. Top management doesn't have knowledge in the industry. Recently, there is a surge in hiring that bears nepotism. Employees don't have a saying in decisions and directions to the business - lack of transparency, vision, communication, and accountability.

Advice to Management

Promote high performers and smart people who are in the bottom - don't bring in "friends" from your previous work to the top management. It looks bad. Lots of smart people are wondering where this business is going - w/ all the bad decisions and terrible business model. Communicate more efficiently. Respect your own people. There's a lot of wasted talent in the floor.

"Director"

I have been working at LiveCareer full-time

Pros

Can't think of anything. Worst job ever. See cons below.

Cons

Incompetent, nasty management. They fired half of the employees in 2013 and the exec in charge bragged about it. The business model is very sketchy and users of the resume builder don't realize how much will be charged to their credit cards on a monthly basis.

5. "Like playing for the Oakland A's"

Pros

Underdog with big wins and lot's of potential.

Open to experimentation.

No fear of being let-go.

No silly talk of tech industry.

Lot's of hands on experience and exposure.

Friendly employees. No a-holes. Upper management is pleasant and intelligent.

Cons

Employees don't respect the product. Subscription product with business ethics issues.

Communication and camaraderie between departments can be challenging.

Not engineering friendly.

Advice to Management

Hire more people with technical skils

"Disorganized, unethical, limited (non-existant) business model"

I worked at LiveCareer (Less than a year)

Pros

The location is convenient
    Some talented employees but they are undervalued; bros-club

Cons

lack of innovation
    undervalued employees
    unfair salary allocation
    non-existent management team

Advice to Management

innovate and listen to great ideas; stop perpetuating a business model that doesn't work for you. Finding different ways to swindle people is just demoralizing. Focus on growth and creating a product/service that is of value.

"Summer Marketing Internship"

I worked at LiveCareer full-time

Pros

-Close knit, friendly company culture
    -Collaborative environment
    -Managers and coworkers were willing to teach and pass on knowledge and skills to newer employees
    -Management/Company values happiness/work-life balance of employees

Cons

-Poor inter-departmental communication
    -Little structure within the internship program
    -Limited scope of projects
    -Internship was largely composed of repetitive, menial tasks

Advice to Management

My overall experience in LiveCareer's internship program was excellent. I learned a great deal throughout my internship and felt like valued member of my team. However, I found it difficult at many times to effectively complete my projects due to the lack of inter-departmental communication.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LiveCareer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing teams and execellent place to start learning to manage and take initiatives. Lots of food and amazing work environment

Cons

It's a growing company. So as they keep hiring they must expand to more spacious place soon

"Avoid Working Here!"

Pros

Good Benefits- healthcare, dental, and vision fully paid for
    Remodeled Office
    AnyPerks

Cons

-Don't believe the positive reviews on Glassdoor- they ask current employees to write reviews to remove the negative comments from showing up first in search.
    -Located right on the border of the Tenderloin- many sketchy individuals right outside the office door.
    -Things change without clear communication.
    -Implementation from start to finish takes longer than it should
    -Instead of Innovating, they constantly copy their competitors or other SaaS companies
    -Micromanaging Co-Workers
    -Lots of legacy employees
    -Prefer sticking to how things worked in the past as opposed to innovating and thinking outside the box
    -Plan for nighttime calls to sync up with the overseas engineering team in India
    -Lots of back and forth between the teams in NY/SF with Engineering team in India

10. "Rewarding place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working for LiveCareer has been a rewarding experience! I highly recommend LC as an employer. I love the company and especially the people. The company treats their employees really well and leadership genuinely cares about them and their well being as people not just employees. The work is rewarding and fun and the work/life balance is unbeatable. They offer a flexible work schedule and the company just announced Unlimited Paid Vacation. They also pay for 100% of employees health benefits.

This is a great company to be a part of. The people that work at LC care about the company. And on top of that LC is succeeding/highly profitable. Love working here!

Cons

The company is growing like crazy. We are maxing out on space but they have acquired the floor beneath us to expand and the work is in progress.