LiveOps Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Keith Leimbach

Pros
  • It is important to note that LiveOps has both employees (me) and self-employed agents that work from home (in 129 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, some lines have minimum time required to work but not all (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • There can be unpredictable call volume at times (in 36 reviews)

• hard to stay motivated when talk time is low as you are paid by (in 27 reviews)

"Not worth your time"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA

Pros

The flexibility of the work schedule, can work from home,set your own schedule, they pay on time. Would amke a good part time job for a stay at home mom just looking make afew extra shopping bucks.

Cons

Too many reps and not enough time slots. Could not get enough hours to survive, not for someone trying to support thier family.

Advice to Management

Better employment managment. hire from within for supervisor jobs. People who have been there can lead the team with those skills learned.

"Until there's a big change in leadership I'd counsel prospective employees to read the hand-writing on the wall - run."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Good exposure to a number of different industries and customers. Nice facility location. Good people with some interesting skill-sets. Progressive visions for changing work.

Cons

Inability of senior management to execute and listen to feedback from underlings. Management-style is NOT progressive although it attempts to function like other Silicon Valley companies (no peer reviews/360 reviews, no project feedback and post-mortems) - as a result, a command & control top-down management style is pervasive resulting in a lot of internal politics and in-fighting and little support & resources for underlings who are supposed to get the job done. Favoritism for many promotions is given to hiring outside instead of developing leadership from the inside.

Advice to Management

Learn how to listen, then execute to the feedback that you're hearing from the front lines. Institute peer reviewing and project continuous-improvement initiatives. Creating new resourcing strategy for alignment of projects instead of a "letting the chips fall as they may" approach. Bottom-line:
    1)create better integrity with employees - a lack of trust is currently pervasive throughout the company culture
    2)walk the talk - to bring progressive value to the marketplace a company has to be really progressive on the inside
    3)create better opportunities for employee development with lateral transfers, promoting from within if you want to boost employee loyalty.

"Can't endure it any longer -- I'm out of here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Very social environment, people (the lower tiers) seem to genuinely care about each other. Reasonable ability to work from home. Interesting concept (the telephony + web is very challenging). Company is pre-IPO and profitable.

Cons

Constant, flailing re-orgs (You'd think it was the Death Wobble, except they've been at it for years).

Annoying under-hiring of key teams, others seem to be arbitrarily bloated.

Very stingy with resources -- there is NO staging/testing environment (often poorly tested projects make it to production).

Major frustration with lack of ownership of older projects (something breaks, but the original developers no longer work there and nobody wants to touch it for fear of breaking it).

Extremely frustrating, seemingly arbitrary roadblocks in Operations often hold up projects much more than necessary.

As talent leaves (which is happening more and more), lots of the back-fills have been "bargain" hires.

Upper management has become an old-boys club from eBay (good luck getting anywhere if you're not in their club).

Advice to Management

Fill out key teams (bring back the talent levels, not more bargains). Overhaul marketing leadership. Focus on painful projects like code overhauls and core technology upgrades, not dreaming up some next great thing with a 2-year horizon. Stop with the over-priced "big name" executive management hires and find people that want to get their hands dirty.

"This Company Sucks!"

Current Employee - Agent (Independent Contractor) in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Agent (Independent Contractor) in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

You can work whenever you want
    Answer infommercial calls from home.

Cons

Caveat Emptor!
    1. It cost 50.00 to pay them for a background check
    2. You can work whenever you want however, It's very hard to click on the days and times that you want to work because on Thurs the schedule is released and thousands of suckers across the country are all waiting for it, so while you click on certains times to work on for ex: Monday by the time you finish clicking all the time slots for Monday al the slots for Tues, Weds Thurs and Fri are gone! There are always Sat and Sunday slots available
    3. You only get paid for the time you TALK! So if you aren't being transmitted any calls and you sit there for 2 hours you only get paid for the calls you answered. It pays .25 per minute for most calls.
    4. They are Unforgiving you will use a script that has a slew of extra add ons to offer the customer you are graded on this attached to your empoyee number in percents. The less add ons you sell the more you suck! Then you get less calls routed to your line! Right now I have been logged in for 2 hours 20 minutes and I am at a 94% out of 100% rank and I have 27 minutes of talk time which equals about 5.00 if i get lucky!
    5. They are also unforgiving if you have a computer glitch! Say you logon and suddenly your internet goes out perhaps it's your cable companies fault and not yours well then Liveops will not forgive you if you signed up to work and can't log on. Stuff happens! Well, they will knock down your percent everyone starts with 100% say you go down to 95% wel, guess what? You will get one call per hour and two if you are lucky! The only way to get it to go back up to 100% is to work fifty, 30 minute time slots and if you only work part-time it could take you 3-6 months to get your percent back to 100%
    So you can be signed on for 4 hours and earn 3.00 an hour and this is common!
    6. Taxes- liveops doesnt take them out of your pay therfore, it is up to you to file a 1099 in order to pay if you earn 600.00 or more per year
    7. All those people bragging about how much they earn are working non-stop. Trust me they are working maybe 10-12 hours per day.

Liveops the TRUTH- it's a form of slavery they are getting away with Murder, low wages and unfair practices, it's only a matter of time before they will get a huge class action lawsuit

Advice to Management

Try to be more consiferate of the people answering the phones at home. Being unforgiving because we have a computer glitch is Cruel! How would you like it if everytime you had computer trouble at work you didnt get paid for it?

"Communication.. they lack Big Time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

You get to choose your hours/days... kinda.. more about this in "cons"

Cons

They are vultures when it comes to picking blocks to work. More agents than blocks. Hard to get more then just a few per day.

They penalize you for computer problems, eventho, there are hundreds of other agents experiencing the exact same problems. They take "lines" away from you, with no notice, and unless you ask, not explanation. When you do ask, you are "punished" further, with more lines being removed and less calls routed your way.

You sit, waiting to take calls ( you are only paid for "talk time") and wait, and wait... few if any come your way. When you send them a pb (email) they don't answer, or use one of their generic response, which will have nothing to do with your question.

As several previous folks posted liveops needs to: 1) learn how to treat people 2) communicate 2a) do it honestly, 3) use common sense, 4) be professional, just to name a few.

They keep hiring, after all, it cost them nothing... you pay for everything. So many on the phones, takes calls away from the seasoned agent being able to take calls.. which is what generates the money.

Advice to Management

Stop being afraid... give a direct answer to a direct question. Stop with the canned answers already.

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Contractor in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

You don't go to work, when you wake up your at work. You don't need to budget for fuel or clothing, you can work in your PJs.

Cons

Working from home is great, if it pays, Live ops doesn't pay. You will likely do it for years before you can get to a level that makes it worthwhile. Most likely, you will sit and stare at the monitor, and get nothing for it. When you are available for work eight hours but only get paid for three or four hours...well you do the math. Then of course, getting eight hours a day is next to impossible.

It appears that all it is, is a system where a company can have vast resources of available people, but the company has virtually no risk, and almost no expense, for the resource. Employment as a contractor has all the negative aspects of any other job and none of the benefits.

Advice to Management

You have a good thing going, but law suits and states refusing you to operate in that state will continue if you can't do something about making the pay equitable.

"Lots of SMART people got out, and many more will follow if things don't get better soon."

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at LiveOps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home
    Decent Medical Package
    Matching 401K

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, cliques, low morale, disorganization, little direction, constant fires that need to be dealt with, layoffs every quarter, constant changes to supposedly make things better, but they end up only adding to the workload, unprofessional and uneducated managers (I have a degree, and my supervisor does not. I'm actually not even sure how she even has a job at all actually), no hope of advancement, no job security, horrible communication, lack of clear goals, office politics and gossip.

Advice to Management

Figure out where the company is going and communicate the plan to all of the employees, not just CA employees and Directors, make every employee feel valued, compensate employees more, encourage more interaction between employees in the office and those who work remotely so remote people don't feel so completely cut off and looked down upon. Realize that most of the "Community" department is really unhappy because they feel overworked, unappreciated, and underpaid and are actively seeking employment elsewhere. I don't know one person who is happy. Also, bring back the opportunity to ask anonymous questions at All Hands meetings. Everyone is afraid to ask questions now (if they are actually even given the opportunity).

"Legit company that sells products that are a scam."

Current Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at LiveOps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liveops is definitely a legit company. I've worked for them for about 2 years and have never had a problem with pay. Liveops indiscriminately sells products and does customer service for many different companies.

Live ops sales products for some legit companies like Pizza Hut and 1-800 FLOWERS. (See cons.)

You can get back to back calls during their busy season if you prove you're reliable and a good sales person.

Cons

Liveops does what the company they're selling or doing customer service for hires them to do. So the customer service rep (you) ends up selling a LOT of VERY questionable products and working as an accomplice in many underhanded sales methods. For example, you will be selling books by people who have gone to jail for being con men and giving out fake customer service numbers to customers.

The pay can be ridiculously low. Liveops pays by the minute of talk time.

You can get very few calls during their non-busy seasons and if you arent' the best sales person. I mean like 2 two minute calls an hour. Real talk.

Advice to Management

Yall know what I'm talking about.

"BIGGEST SCAMMERS ON THE PLANET"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at LiveOps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I CAN'T THINK OF ANY

Cons

They make you believe you can make money with them, so you take a huge number of exams, get insurance licenses in three states and I even added another one. I passed the oral exam and written exams and was pretty excited to go on my first call. After my first day of calling, I got a report that said I didn't meet my commitments, which was a total lie, because I was on the phone the whole time. Their report says I logged off, which I never logged off during my commitment. This happened every day for a week and I never could get anyone to help me. I finally got a nice lady that told me my modem was not the right one, so I went out and spent more money on a Static IP line to make sure Live Ops wasn't logging me off somehow, when in fact I was online. Even after I had the Static IP line installed, it was still giving me a report that said I wasn't making my commitments and my performance was bad. I even sent them copies of reports that showed them I was online the whole time, and they still wouldn't listen and told me some bs about that being the total time I was on the phone but I had logged off, which I never did. Well duh, so how can they say I'm not online, when it shows that I was online? There's nobody to talk to there, no live human, and agents can't talk to the IT person, so there's absolutely no help available. So, whatever you do, please do not get hooked into believing this company is legit because it is far from the truth. A few times I was on the phone I got no calls at all and one day I got one call and made $.85. You can sit there for hours with no calls. It's a shame that people get scammed into working for a company like this when we are all out there struggling to make a living.

Advice to Management

You need to provide real help to your agents and have a phone number to an IT person, and a phone number for live help, that is, if you care. An agent cannot get help from anyone there. The only help I got was a danged report from the person I sent an email to, which I could look up myself. I got no help whatsoever from anyone so I had to quit so I could make a living. Plus, how could we approve of the CEO when we can't even see who that person is. Your system apparently kept logging me off and I had no idea it di, because my phone panel read "available." So how can a person know if they are logged off on your end, when my end says I'm not?

"Unethical churning of human beings, poor treatment by Liveops"

Pros

flexibility of hours, no more than that

Cons

terminated suddenly, no excuse given except for vague reference to a phone call. They charged me with "upselling", when their was only ONE product to be offered. They did not need a real reason to terminate, they fabricated a reason. I asked for redress or an explanation, none was given. I have worked as an agent and manager in the insurance industry for almost two decades. NEVER have I been treated so disrespectfully than by liveops....RUN, don't walk away from this company

Advice to Management

Know this: I will spend a considerable amount of time criticizing your unethical treatment of agent contractors....You are detestable and despicable in your treatment of agents that have excellent metrics.......You haven't heard the last of me............