LivePerson Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
LivePerson Chairman and CEO Robert P. LoCascio
Robert P. LoCascio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Promising future, great people, great technologies (in 35 reviews)

• work life balance is good, good product that you can stand behind (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Production problems happen around the clock, which is very frustrating and spoils your work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Due to high turnover, these folks are rarely around, thus leading to challenging deployments to manage (in 7 reviews)

"Good but could VASTLY IMPROVE"

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some nice people are there
    - SOME work flexibility
    - SOME autonomy
    - Free lunch Fridays
    - Casual dress
    - Very little micromanagement depending upon the team

Cons

Pay is way too low; raises are not given at a decent rate
    Promotions are not given on merit
    Mid-size company
    Open Office
    More work drama than should be
    Low performance in the market

Advice to Management

I would invest more in talent. The reason the company is not performing is because the talent and priorities are not maintained. People who should be let go are kept and that hurts employee moral. Also, have some higher standards that are quantitative that people should meet and hold them accountable and reward those who surpass it. Also, actually live up to the values of Be an Owner, not just say the words.

"Ok"

I have been working at LivePerson full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Good pay

Cons

No room for growth
    Bad management

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, free snacks and occasional meals

Cons

LivePerson lost its culture years ago. Constant turnover and unstable leadership has caused many employees to feel stressed and not excited to go to work anymore. Top talent has been leaving at a rapid pace. CEO has a tendency to fire top talent inexplicably, too.

LivePerson is responding to these reviews, imploring others to check out their website...I implore you to check out the stock price, analyst reports, and ask around the industry about the reputation LivePerson now has.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror before pointing fingers at those that are working very long hours for you. Stop with the smoke & mirrors and own up to past mis-steps while developing a solid plan going forward. Too many rumors, too much uncertainty.

""OK" job with good pay"

Current Employee - VSA in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - VSA in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great atmosphere as a whole. Free snacks. Game tables as well and Free pizza Fridays. Pays well

Cons

I work in managed services. We are not able to participate in company events because of scheduling. We are constantly told what we are doing wrong with no advice on trying to fix. My manager constantly shows favoritism to a certain "group" of employees. This has been reported to our human resources numerous times. We all know the deal but she continues to do it.

I don't receive any sit downs to tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can approve on. I have to go to the other managers with questions because my manager is too busy talking to her "favorites" all day. I do not want to say it is a racial issue but she sure does make it seem that way.

I know this company can be better. I look forward to seeing if there will be changes to make our job easier and less stressful. It all starts with not showing favoritism and actually helping us keep our job and not just talk about it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad management. Invest more in training managers to develop employees.

"Making mistakes ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some amazing folks pass through, if you are lucky enough to work with one or two of them you can learn a lot!

Cons

If its early in your career, you are expected to not have a life and work, work, work.

The product is built for large enterprises, and feels that way. What it can do it quite amazing, but getting it to do it requires a whole team of consultants. Very poor support and/or customer care. This is dangerous when competitors do it well. Moving to messaging is the right move, but its WAY late, and LP does not move quickly.

Typical white guys at the top — this is NYC but its not a diverse company, and there is not much discussion about trying to make it one. This will cost them if it hasn't already.

Erratic behavior from the top makes for an uncomfortable work environment. Lots of gossip.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes rather than blitzing past them thinking no one will notice.

LivePerson Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Global People Group

I agree, we do have a lot of amazing people within LivePerson! I'm not sure when you left LivePerson, but we have unprecedented momentum and provided the platform for the first enterprise-ready... More

"The Company of the Future! (And Always Will Be...)"

Pros

Culture: Very inspiring, connected culture program - from onboarding to employee engagement. I know it was one of the reasons I joined.
    Environment: Unique, trendy office spaces, with lots of snacks, free lunch on Friday (mostly pizza), an an in office gym with daily yoga or fitness classes.
    People: Commited, helpful, smart coworkers who undoubtedly will become your friends (unless you're lame or just a jerk). And alumni stay connected and care about people, culture, and company
    Product: Easy to use and deploy technology, and an amazing creative team to promote it
    Management: The founder/CEO is a long-time tech leader and has a great "overcoming adversity" story

Sounds too good to be true? It is...

Cons

Culture: That culture I spoke of is lived by a few, but faked by senior management. It's a "do as I say, not as I do" kinda place. In lieu of a great company, they've designed a unique culture as a differentiator. Sometimes it does feel genuine, but often you can feel how artificial it truly is. Sad.
    Environment: Again, some aspects of the office are just for show, like a hammock that no one has used for more than 10 seconds. Again, these are carrots to give people in lieu of better pay or rewarding work.
    People: There are a sizable number of people who know how to work the system and really don't do anything. Maybe this is a Pro for some people, but if you're one of the people actually working, it's a morale killer. The result is extremely high turnover, where the hardworking, ambitious people leave, and clever, yet lazy people stay (no offense, I commend you all on your ability to navigate the system with as little effort as possible, but come on - you know I'm right)
    Product: The product has be eclipsed by competitors and is way behind on getting very basic features. It's also now so niche, that it's hard to get people to pay a premium for such a small scope of functionality. Looks cool though. Wish it did more stuff.
    Management: Micromangement and nepotism is rampant. If you work on a project the CEO is interested in, your life will be hell, you'll never do it the way he wants it, and you should basically count your days in the company. Also, there is no transparency, so gossip serves as the only effective means of communication.
    The company is truly bipolar, and can go from an amazingly positive to a frighteningly negative atmosphere in an instant. Fun!

Advice to Management

If you had read any of these, things would have changed. But they haven't. So you haven't. So here goes.
    Management responsibility: What's best for the business? Making Rob famous or making money? Stop wasting money on useless consumer marketing campaigns and focus on where you can get revenue. From businesses!
    Corporate strategy: Ever hear of Stripe? They're not a household name, but provide much of the payment infrastructure for lots of big digital players (look 'em up). LivePerson should be "Stripe for Messaging", providing the backbone of the messaging world. About 15 former employees have suggested this, but instead, you try to be the "Savior of Consumers" or something. In the meantime, Twilio has taken that idea and ran with it. And made lots of money. It's not too late dummies.
    Leadership: As a shareholder, I think it's time for a change. Rob wants his company to live forever, but it's not his company anymore. It's the shareholders' company, and should have probably been sold 10 years ago. I don't trust him to be objective if that opportunity comes up again, so the board should put someone in that position that can run the company without the emotional attachment. Sorry - I know it's your baby, but it's true.
    I should probably become a consultant so you can pay me a quarter million to take 6 months to find all these things, but consider this the best free advice you ever got. (You're welcome)

"Great people, misguided company"

Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

The environment has since changed but, years prior, it was a fun, fulfilling place to work; It's been years since I've worked there but I still maintain great friendships from there. The biggest pro is the office is really cool and they have a keg.

Cons

To continue from my "pro", the environment is no longer one what it used to be. Its so bad that they are using photos from when I worked there (and from their former location) in ads for current job postings. There was almost no internal promotion in many of the departments, the company laid off 3 pregnant employees during my time there (which I'm sure is illegal) and it felt like the company objective changed all the time; the CEO would leave for months at a time and come back and expect everyone to drop what they were doing and go with the new line.

Advice to Management

The stock price has been in the tank for years which would signal to anyone that there's time for some big changes on the board and executive management but they never change - they let the CEO do whatever and as long as that happens, they will continue to stay stagnant.

"Feedback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at LivePerson (More than a year)

Pros

good employee engagement and collaboration

Cons

No cons to mention for company

"Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Roselle, IL

I worked at LivePerson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work life balance, great people, great culture.

Cons

Struggling business, no clear direction, constantly changing to react to market without a strong business strategy. Decisions made on instincts based on past experiences instead of solid data and understanding of customers and marketplace. You can only shoot from the hip and switch gears for so long and so often before the business starts to collapse.

Advice to Management

Use data and numbers to make solid decisions and retain and gain customers strategically. Shooting at everything to see what sticks doesn't work. Betting on future technology is great, but not with current situation.

"Going downhill and losing heart."

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some of the best human beings and smartest people I’ve ever worked with have been part of this company. It is easy to meet people that will quickly become family and lifelong friends.
    - Employees live up to the mantra of “ownership” and “helping others”. People generally really do care, and it contributes to a great work environment.
    - The company has gorgeous, cheerful, and thoughtfully designed office spaces worldwide.
    - There is passion felt from top-down for what the company is doing — it’s followed by skepticism, to be fair though.

Cons

There is a constant shift in strategy and executives clearly lack a clear sense of direction. As executors, employees are asked to constantly reprioritize and backtrack on messaging w/ customers, which is embarrassing.

The CEO is obsessed w/ creating “the next big thing” platform but lacks a realistic sense of what his customers really need. This leaves the product — beloved by many core customers — neglected in favor of a budding product that is heavily oversold and can’t be used by these same customers because of feature deficiencies. There is very little accountability here and client-facing employees suffer the brunt.

The CEO also very clearly has favorites within the company and so long as you are on the right side of the fence, you are “safe”, but only for so long. Job security is driven too much by alliances and the whim of the CEO or another executive who has his ear. Many good people have been forced out of the company because of such drama, and it all makes LP a terrifying place to work at times because you can never be quite sure where you’ll be the next day.

Sales team can be challenging to work with and have little respect for other teams, in favor of reaching their goals. Collaborating w/ teams in TLV can be challenging as well.

Lack of efficiency in the workplace. For some reason there is a heavy culture of being on the phone ALL the time. Conversations that should take 30 min can drag on for over an hour. Product engineering takes FAR too long to deliver on features — sometimes years — and there is very little influence that PS has on this, which is insanely frustrating for customers. For a technology company that says it’s trying to disrupt the marketplace….well, that’s never going to happen at the pace you’re producing.

Advice to Management

- Please keep your employees and ALL customers top-of-mind. Stop abusing these relationships
    - Listen to your employees who know your customers. Value that customer-knowledge and take it into consideration before making product decisions that will affect your customers' loyaities.
    - Please step back and think about what you want to be, and decide on a CLEAR path of what you want LP to be. Understand that there is a vast gap of product needs between SMB & Enterprise, and deal w/ it.

LivePerson Response

Aug 2, 2016 – Global People Group

I agree that we have some of the best and the brightest working for us at LivePerson! We appreciate the feedback that employees live our core values, as it sets the foundation for how we work with... More