LivePerson Reviews | Glassdoor

LivePerson Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • LivePerson has an amazing culture and great people (in 33 reviews)

• work life balance is good, good product that you can stand behind (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is unrealistic (in 5 reviews)

• Due to high turnover, these folks are rarely around, thus leading to challenging deployments to manage (in 7 reviews)

"A good place to work if you are not ambitious"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LivePerson really does have an amazing culture. The people are mostly very friendly and kind, and you will make great friends here. The offices are beautiful, the snacks are more than decent, and the People group has put a lot of effort into making LivePerson a "hip" place to work. Work-life balance here is also excellent most of the time.

Cons

The product is awful. There is a huge disconnect between the product development team and everyone else, and they are very difficult to work with (not least because of the time difference). There will be very little room to grow in your career here. If you have no desire to move up in your career, this will be a good place for you. Compensation is not even close to market rate, but benefits are decent.

Advice to Management

Make better software. Reign the CEO in.

"Implementation Manager"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work to life balance, able to work remote

Cons

no higher level advancement unless your in an office.

Advice to Management

you have great remote people with tons of experience, don't just promote others because of their geographic relation to an office. Give remote employees better opportunities.

"Great people, misguided company"

Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

The environment has since changed but, years prior, it was a fun, fulfilling place to work; It's been years since I've worked there but I still maintain great friendships from there. The biggest pro is the office is really cool and they have a keg.

Cons

To continue from my "pro", the environment is no longer one what it used to be. Its so bad that they are using photos from when I worked there (and from their former location) in ads for current job postings. There was almost no internal promotion in many of the departments, the company laid off 3 pregnant employees during my time there (which I'm sure is illegal) and it felt like the company objective changed all the time; the CEO would leave for months at a time and come back and expect everyone to drop what they were doing and go with the new line.

Advice to Management

The stock price has been in the tank for years which would signal to anyone that there's time for some big changes on the board and executive management but they never change - they let the CEO do whatever and as long as that happens, they will continue to stay stagnant.

"Feedback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at LivePerson (More than a year)

Pros

good employee engagement and collaboration

Cons

No cons to mention for company

6. "Nice Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Work/life balance
    -Benefits
    -People!
    -Vision
    -Job Stability
    -Pride
    -Flexibility
    -Culture
    -Overall great place to work!

Cons

-Lack of teamwork between teams/people - I worked with a different group on every account and sat in an office next to people I didn't work with. Employees who work together need to bond, but it's difficult to even identify who needs to bond with whom when everyone is all over the place.

-More adept employees are 'leaned' on. I can't tell you how many times my phone would ring and it would be a less empowered colleague asking for help. Sometimes it would just a be a newer employee but often it was someone lacking competence in a particular area OR someone whose job description did not give him or her decision making abilities.

Advice to Management

Overall I honestly think they're doing a good job and I'm grateful for my time there!! Also unlike other posters, I always appreciated the CEO for being a visionary with pursuits beyond $$$. The CEO set the tone for a very humane company culture.

Some suggestions:

-As per above, improve teamwork by real team building - people who work together should play together to build rapport. Bonding with people you don't even work with is great, but it is most important to meet and bond with those you work with. Also hotel room sharing is a little lame - there are so many other ways to save money.

-LivePerson is "just a job," albeit a nice one, to a lot of the employees. People who have been there for years, or decades, may claim otherwise but I could always tell the truth through their tones of voice. Their lack of ambition is contagious and thus has a ripple effect on morale, creativity, and employee retention. I can't think of a great solution, my bad, but it definitely requires some brainstorming. Maybe find the old-timers who are still growing and learning as people, then model their behavior. Also pushing hard skill development should be considered. Learning hard skills gives employees pride in who they are as people.

-Hire exec &c mgrs externally and find a way to make it work. LP went through a period of hiring top positions externally and then, after a few failures, gave up because the people didn't understand the company. Bad idea! My advice is to figure out why those hires didn't work and do it differently next time! I worry the place is becoming stale with all the 'life-ers" running the show.

-Lastly, on a positive note, keep the culture that incorporates work/life balance, general sanity, and good benefits. None of that should change! If you want to improve it you should offer an education reimbursement.

Aug 10, 2016 – Global People Group

Thank you for taking the time to deliver such a thoughtful review of your 5+ years at LivePerson. As you know, we put a lot of effort into making LP a great place to work and a place people want to ... More

"Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Roselle, IL

I worked at LivePerson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work life balance, great people, great culture.

Cons

Struggling business, no clear direction, constantly changing to react to market without a strong business strategy. Decisions made on instincts based on past experiences instead of solid data and understanding of customers and marketplace. You can only shoot from the hip and switch gears for so long and so often before the business starts to collapse.

Advice to Management

Use data and numbers to make solid decisions and retain and gain customers strategically. Shooting at everything to see what sticks doesn't work. Betting on future technology is great, but not with current situation.

"Going downhill and losing heart."

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at LivePerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some of the best human beings and smartest people I’ve ever worked with have been part of this company. It is easy to meet people that will quickly become family and lifelong friends.
    - Employees live up to the mantra of “ownership” and “helping others”. People generally really do care, and it contributes to a great work environment.
    - The company has gorgeous, cheerful, and thoughtfully designed office spaces worldwide.
    - There is passion felt from top-down for what the company is doing — it’s followed by skepticism, to be fair though.

Cons

There is a constant shift in strategy and executives clearly lack a clear sense of direction. As executors, employees are asked to constantly reprioritize and backtrack on messaging w/ customers, which is embarrassing.

The CEO is obsessed w/ creating “the next big thing” platform but lacks a realistic sense of what his customers really need. This leaves the product — beloved by many core customers — neglected in favor of a budding product that is heavily oversold and can’t be used by these same customers because of feature deficiencies. There is very little accountability here and client-facing employees suffer the brunt.

The CEO also very clearly has favorites within the company and so long as you are on the right side of the fence, you are “safe”, but only for so long. Job security is driven too much by alliances and the whim of the CEO or another executive who has his ear. Many good people have been forced out of the company because of such drama, and it all makes LP a terrifying place to work at times because you can never be quite sure where you’ll be the next day.

Sales team can be challenging to work with and have little respect for other teams, in favor of reaching their goals. Collaborating w/ teams in TLV can be challenging as well.

Lack of efficiency in the workplace. For some reason there is a heavy culture of being on the phone ALL the time. Conversations that should take 30 min can drag on for over an hour. Product engineering takes FAR too long to deliver on features — sometimes years — and there is very little influence that PS has on this, which is insanely frustrating for customers. For a technology company that says it’s trying to disrupt the marketplace….well, that’s never going to happen at the pace you’re producing.

Advice to Management

- Please keep your employees and ALL customers top-of-mind. Stop abusing these relationships
    - Listen to your employees who know your customers. Value that customer-knowledge and take it into consideration before making product decisions that will affect your customers' loyaities.
    - Please step back and think about what you want to be, and decide on a CLEAR path of what you want LP to be. Understand that there is a vast gap of product needs between SMB & Enterprise, and deal w/ it.

Aug 2, 2016 – Global People Group

I agree that we have some of the best and the brightest working for us at LivePerson! We appreciate the feedback that employees live our core values, as it sets the foundation for how we work with ... More

"Good to be home"

Current Employee - Tech Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech Support in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined LivePerson technical support less than a year ago, start was hectic, but very soon I found that employees at LP are generally very motivated and friendly to work with. The company is stable and mature, yet empower people for creativity of a startup. Support management is professional and approachable, head of support brought a constructive environment,push for career development and really care for customer experience.

All in all, a great place to advance your career.

Cons

Majority of technical resources in Tel Aviv cause nightmares. Very hard to consult with technical resources which sometime cause a delay with customers tickets, need more technical resources that work in the office.

Salaries are below market - I think the company can do a better job in recognizing the huge pressure of support team and the value they bring to the company, else people will leave.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. company is on ther right track

Aug 2, 2016 – Global People Group

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for this insight into what it's like to work at LP. I'm thrilled that you are finding LivePerson to be a great place to grow as a professional and that ... More

"Outdated company that is unwilling to innovate until it's too late. Think Blackberry RIM"

Current Employee - Sales in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Working remote is a big plus and the benefits were decent. Outside of that there are not many pros to working here unfortunately.

Cons

It's not worth working here. Their product offerings are severely dated, and instead of focusing time and energy on finding ways to improve upon the product, they focus on buzz-word selling strategies and dated sales tactics. Competitors literally have the same features for much less, and free in some cases. Yes, they were the first to introduce live chat to the automotive industry many years ago, but they have since fail to innovate and are desperately trying to play catch up. There's a sense of "well we were the first to do it, so we're the best" mentality from mid-management which hinders growth.

People rarely hit quota, and if achieved, you're told to simply "do it again" next month. There's no appreciation of the time & effort that goes into simply getting a client on the phone, let alone to sign up for their expensive packages. Good ol' boys type of environment geared towards much older salesmen trying to adjust to a younger group of consumers.

Only work here if you need immediate income, otherwise search elsewhere as theres are much better companies to work in sales for.

Advice to Management

Focus less of shady sales tactics, and more on how to make your group of products more competitive. Enough of trying to find the "magic sauce"to sell to customers and focus on offering a solid suite of products. If not, then expect to continue to lose clients to competitors such as Active Engage, Gubagoo, and the FREE text component offered by Edmunds.

Sep 14, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the review. I am sorry that your views are so negative. This company continues to be the industry's technology innovator (most recently the first with an SMS text product) and has ... More

"Why do it to yourself?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Some great customers to work with
    Some great talent to work with
    Much of the technology would be stuff you want to work with
    Decent offices

Cons

Product often over sold (promise is often beyond capability)
    Key talent (they guys you look to for help) disappear
    Key talent (the guys you look to for help that are there) are too busy to help
    Be prepared to accept blame if you are in service or support positions
    Product in transition - hope it gets there soon - supporting old and new is not fun

Advice to Management

There are many good tech companies people with talent can work. Get your act together before nobody wants to work there.

May 25, 2016 – Global People Group

I appreciate the time you spent contributing to LivePerson's success and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. As I hope you noticed during your time with the company, we heavily ... More