LiveText Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Christopher Kalmus

"Good Company, Strong Purpose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL

Pros

- Easy going and Friendly environment
    - Intelligent/Competent Personnel
    - Room for independent decision making

Cons

Depends on individual preferences, it is a smaller company but some people do not mind its size. So not necessarily a negative thing.

2. "Don't ignore these negative reviews!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at LiveText (More than a year)

Pros

- liked my coworkers and team
    - nice office decor
    - great food and break room
    - learned a lot

Cons

- one person is running the company. She is nice and fair at first, but then quickly shows her true colors.
    - I chose to ignore these negative reviews and regretted it the first day I started with the company. The reviews are no joke!

Advice to Management

- change out the one person that everyone on these reviews is referring too.

"Pay attention to the person behind the curtain"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at LiveText full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Location
    - innovative despite the company culture

Cons

- Organizational culture is unethical-- dominated by one person in leadership.
    - No room for growth.
    - No clear structure of leadership.

Advice to Management

Please reassign those in control of making decisions about personnel as well as how company goals are met. Such a great vision and mission! Find someone who can make that happen for the greater good of everyone who works hard to represent you.

"Its remarkable how poorly this company is managed"

Pros

-Great location, very accessible from the city or suburbs
    -Well-stocked snack room
    -Most rank-&-file employees are very cool
    -If you're in Sales, congratulations: you've got it made
    -Terrific holiday parties

Cons

The product itself is quite terrible. Working in Development, Support, or Implementation is a nightmare due to the constant problems that arise. The Sales team routinely makes lofty promises to clients, and the rest of the company is left scrambling to satisfy these promises. Micromanaging is rampant. The "Boss" plays heavy favorites. If you're not in her inner circle, seek employment elsewhere, as your growth in this company will be limited. Don't get too attached to your coworkers, as turnover is frequent.

Working at this company can be summarized by this example: rather than make actual changes to improve employee morale, the management of this company posted several phony reviews to Glassdoor in an attempt to boost the average rating of this company. How pathetic.

Advice to Management

Focus on producing a fundamentally sound product. Take a clue from the high employee turnover and make some changes.

"Oh the tangled web we weave"

Former Employee - Coordinator in La Grange, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in La Grange, IL

I worked at LiveText full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office is walking distance from the train, nice location near retail shops and awesome restaurants. Free soda and breakfast. Occasional happy hour.

Cons

Micromanagement at its best. It's a shame that ONE person controls the show and every brainwashed person just falls inline. They've let go so many talented people and I for one couldn't stand it any longer. You don't want to work for a company that keeps you from getting paid. Lack of communication is high and shouting matches goes on in one particular office. Who can work like that!

Advice to Management

Please recognize the bad seed at the company. She's bringing the company down. Get a hold of the high turnover rate or you'll never keep a honest hardworking employee!

"Has Potential"

Current Employee - Consultant in La Grange, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in La Grange, IL

I have been working at LiveText full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy how breakfast is set up by the admin. She takes pride in her work and we love it. Super easy access to the train station. I have no issues getting to/from the city.

Cons

What I don't like about this company is the simply reason there's NO ROOM for growth. I've been in the same position for a while and I need to be challenged by doing something else. Yes Sr Management can take a lesson in how to properly manage people. To be completely honest, do not consider working here if you're looking for growth and to be challenged. You won't find it here. Also performance reviews are never done on time. How can I measure how well I'm doing or improve if no one communicates with me? Please improve your processes quickly. I'm definitely not happy here, which is unfortunate since I was referred

Advice to Management

Please see the above. Take a few manage to courses to help improve. It'll do every one justice and some good.

8. "Un-biased experience from a non-terminated employee"

Current Employee - IT Admin in La Grange, IL
    Current Employee - IT Admin in La Grange, IL

Pros

- Easy Going Staff
    - Relaxed, non-stressful work environment
    - No Micro -management
    - Innovative, ambitious developments towards business and software
    - Wonderful benefits and understanding HR representative for company

Cons

- Non applied to department or position held by reviewer

"Reflecting on my experiences..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL

I have been working at LiveText full-time

Pros

It seems that people voice their opinions most frequently when they feel strongly about something – negative or positive – although I would venture to say the negative are often heard loudest. With that said, I decided to take a few minutes to voice my opinion in this post – rest assured, it being unsolicited and not coerced. This post is not intended to disrespect any of the previous opinions expressed here; I hear them; I respect them; and I wish nothing but success to any former employees because I considered the work we've done together good. These are simply my own views and own experiences in the workplace.

Like others have said here, some days at LiveText are challenging; work can be hard; work can be last minute; work can change quickly; and people can be difficult. Are these situations unique to this company…? My opinion and experiences tell me no. I have worked in full-time roles for three other organizations, some in education, and all have proven to be extremely challenging in many different ways.

At LiveText, whether it is expressed or not, you are expected to demonstrate your abilities and skills with the resources on hand. It is important to show through attitude and action that you are able to take on anything, learn anything, fill in gaps, and perform your own duties – challenging? Yes!

My best days have been the days where I know that this hard work has better supported a customer who needed help…better supported a fellow employee who seemed overloaded or frustrated…better supported a company that really, truly does aspire to help others learn. It’s when you take this attitude at your job, for a prolonged period of time, that you start to see yourself, your place, and the others around you change – I know, sounds a bit fluffy, but I find myself a testament to this.

I’ve been with the company for about 8 years. Personality wise, I am self aware enough to know that I am a pessimist. I expect the worst to happen, plan for it, and hope deep down it turns out okay. I have also found this not to be conducive to growing in a small company. I started in small role, at LiveText, within a department that was totally new for the company, and is still quite young. With that, I saw that if I supported the company in even the smallest ways at the start, I could grow here. But I needed to adjust my attitude to be able to do this. I vowed to do that. So, I answered the phone when I heard it ringing; I’ve set up for office parties/lunches; I’ve made travel arrangements; I’ve picked up and set out the breakfasts the company provides; I’ve organized inventory, cleaned the dishes, and filled in administrative gaps in other departments – all of this outside of my own department, never asked for, and not a part of my initial job description.

Sure, I had some meltdowns, attitude issues, and difficult times along the way. I’m human. I even left four years in, but to explore higher education more deeply in a role with an institution. I did these things not for a pat on the back but because that’s what I remember my college career center taught us as graduates. In fact, I still remember what my college career center advisor told my senior Intern-Advantage group… ‘To find success as you start out at a company, guys it’s going to be important to remember this piece of advice: never take an attitude of entitlement; you’re only letting yourself down.’

As I gained experiences elsewhere, I soon found where I belonged. I mean, when you find your free-time hobbies to include reading industry articles, blogs, and listservs, you probably know where you should be. Within 8 months, I returned back to LiveText in a new role and over the years have grown in different roles that have afforded various experiences, challenges, and also professional growth, privileges, and increased responsibilities. Again, there have been times that were very challenging, but from these experiences, I’ve learned a lot, been able to apply it to future challenges, and figured out how to better navigate the difficulties sometimes inherent in a small corporate environment.

Are more improvements needed? Of course. I believe wholeheartedly that the company will continue to do so. It may be a slow road, but I know it is being paved as we speak. But also be assured, it’s not a place where staff members’ consistently poor attitudes, eye rolling, or inflated expectations of what his/her role entails are helpful. Like I said, I learned this early on. Not every piece of work I did was going to be liked. And I was going to have to find ways within myself to be better.

A former boss at a previous organization, whom I still consider a mentor, taught me much, and continue to hold in the highest of regards, once told me this…You are a good worker; you’re faster than most and the quality is always high. Have confidence in yourself. But remember, never consider yourself more important than the next candidate in line. You must always drink the 'kool-aid'. That boss was right. My loyalties belonged elsewhere. I ended up leaving that organization but only because I longed for the taste of a different flavor.

I simply intend to post to share my own views, experiences, and what I have learned over the years. And if it were allowed on this site, I'd choose not to be anonymous.

Cons

Please see the above entry

"You're wasting your time."

I worked at LiveText full-time

Pros

Breakfast every morning & modern office. Location is great for metra commuters and parking isn't too bad for those who wants to drive to work.

Cons

I would be lying if I said everything about this place is a joke because I have met some pretty great people (hence the one star rating) but one thing we all had in common, we disliked working here. It's by far, the worst place I have ever worked for and definitely regret making the decision to join the company. I went ahead and accepted an offer despite the fact that everyone here has been warning everyone looking to accept an offer. Everyone I know has left the company while working here and even after leaving, people are still reaching out to tell me that they have left or planning to leave. I mean, it's not hard to feel bad leaving a company with such awful management, or more like a one woman show. If you decide to work here, you have been warned, you'll only make it out alive if you decide to suck up to one person and one person only. It doesn't matter if you do your job well and make new friends, you will hate it there. Don't work here if you are looking for growth, opportunity, and learning environment. You will be wasting your time.

Advice to Management

Listen to workers and not just one person... then maybe turnover rate will decrease.

"The Potential To Be Amazing... The Execution of Endless Failure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL

I worked at LiveText full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LiveText provides employees with a selection of organic, non-GMO, artisanal, locally-sourced delectables every morning in their state-of-the-art company kitchen. They also offer an open game room, where employees are encouraged to enjoy a game of ping-pong, or enjoy a delightful melange of assorted savory and sweet treats... when the days are too grim. In addition, the company spares no expense every year to provide carefully designed custom greeting cards; ensuring that each employee takes into account the quintessential effervescent taste of the company leadership.

Cons

In spite of the cacophony of edible and visual treats... LiveText is a company in dire straights. Behind the closed doors comes closed minds; where good ideas are often debated into oblivion by an out-of-touch collective of higher education hangers-on. Clout and style take precedence over rationality and sober-minded business practices. Teams are often not given the necessary power to own their departments – instead being relegated to grunt work and never-ending micromanagement.

The company adheres to no singular vision or marketing plan. Product development stagnates, as it's spread across several outsourced teams. Internal development efforts are often an endless cycle of "putting out fires" in the outdated platform.

Ultimately, the company is mired in passive aggression and "gut-feeling" directives. When the bright minds who are hired into the company make light of obvious problems, they are rarely if ever listened to. The leadership values insubstantial and impractical flights of fancy – like a literal addiction to providing lanyards in promotions. The company promotes a vision to help people "pursue their potential", but the words mostly ring hollow; as only a handful of employees have lasted at the company for more than a year or two. High turnover is often overlooked as individual issues... or are disavowed completely.

But the writing is on the wall (and across several of the reviews below). LiveText is a place that gives the appearance of a progressive software company. But the leadership is too busy bickering and planning to see the forest for the trees.

Advice to Management

Bring middle-management into higher management meetings. Do a conspicuous and honest assessment of business practices, financial appropriation, and development/product timelines. In short: step down, get out of the way of the true visionaries hiding within the staff, and make a concerned effort to truly allow the assembled staff to pursue their potential. Set realistic but aggressive goals... for EVERY single employee (leadership included).