Livefyre Reviews | Glassdoor

Livefyre Founder & CEO Jordan Kretchmer
Jordan Kretchmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "SDR"

Pros

The pay was competitive and there are a lot of smart people to learn from. The office vibe is fun and there's a fully stocked kitchen.

Cons

.They don't promote from within. You can get stuck in a role pretty easily. They also are probably not hiring directly anymore since the Adobe acquisition.

Advice to Management

.There was an acquisition. I doubt they are making any strategic decisions about the Livefyre business anymore

2. "Long term vision missing"

I worked at Livefyre (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees, wonderful atmosphere, culturally diverse, employee events were welcoming and different. Office space was large enough that you could get your work done without having a deskmate breathing on you, but not too quiet or cavernous.

Cons

Lack of long term vision. Seemed to be focused on each sale, each customer, each quarter. Then it was obvious the focus shifted to being acquired to the product, customers and mostly employees weren't considered or focused on at all.

Advice to Management

Management has changed to an entirely new company so there is no point in making any suggestions as it no longer exists.

3. "Great Company! Phenomenal people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Livefyre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredibly cool and fun product
    - Warm family(like) environment
    - Honest and direct communication between departments and management to staff
    - Stunning office, beautiful rooftop deck, close to all methods of transportation
    - Scrappy and positive outlook by team members
    - Kitchen rivals Whole Foods in its food, coffee and snack options

Cons

- Normal day to day start- up struggles, with too many things to do and not enough time in the day.
    - Needs a more concise plan for career paths and advancement

Advice to Management

It breaks my heart to read some of the scathing reviews. I have personally not had one day in the year and a half working at Livefyre when I didn't look forward to going to work, or did not have a least a few belly laughs with my co-workers. Reading the comments about our CEO, Jordan as a "sociopath" are beyond ridiculous and words that I find offensive. He's young, optimistic and cares deeply for his employees. Is every decision made perfect? Of course not. Does he claim ownership when that happens? Absolutely. All companies big or small have growing pains and hiccups. All. Of. Them. Take a moment to read the biography of Steve Jobs and the plethora of issues that Apple faced as well as some of the tyranical behavior Jobs exhibited. To call someone a sociopath is to imply a lack of empathy and ill will. I have not seen any of that from our exec team.
    My advice to management is the same advice I would give anyone. Try to be 10% better tomorrow than you were today and it's all an upward trajectory.

"The Rocketship still has plenty of fuel in it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amazing work environment hyper collaborative work space with amazing and smart people that are on the cutting edge. Management is all on the same page and synergizing to position this company to do many more great things! Livefyre is loaded and ready to grow into the next phase! Hang on to your seats!

Cons

Some of the perks are slightly below what other SaaS startups provide like unlimited PTO, etc. Would be nice to see the company step up and get in with everyone else when it comes to perks.

Advice to Management

Continue the upward trajectory, keep your employees involved with the growth of the company. Continue to think outside the box and keep thinking of ways to attract and retain top talent.

"Great team, great work, great company"

Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Livefyre (More than a year)

Pros

When I was hired at Livefyre, I was making a big career direction. I was a bit apprehensive but after being here for over a year, I can honestly say that I have done the best work of my life and made the right decision. Livefyre has given me so many opportunities to excel in career goals such as working with international clients and traveling to those clients; working with high end brands that "get it" when it comes to internet/website/consumer marketing; expanding my skill set as a relationship manager both internally and externally; and lastly, just having a ton of fun with a group of people that make me want to come into work instead of finding it a chore. I feel listened to as a contributing member of my team. I also feel like they've offered me the compensation that I deserve for the work I've put in including added bonuses for overtime or going above and beyond my duties. The benefits are the best that I have had in my professional life. The company perks are fun and great. But most of all, it has been quite a fun, enriching year, and it was mostly certainly the right direction my career needed to take.

Cons

They are a start-up company in their adolescent phase which mean company direction, goals and standards can change rather abruptly. This truly is a start up company so a person needs to be flexible, amiable, and adaptable to change.
    This is also a company that expects you to be vocal and persistent about the things you need. You need to be rather self-sufficient and willing to take the initiative. While everyone does work as a team, you need to be a self-starter to thrive here.

Advice to Management

Management has been great at working at improving one piece of business at a time; however, sometimes at the expense of another department. Understanding there is a lot of things to do in a rapidly growing and thriving startup, working on one piece of the business at a time can be costly to others. A better management of all divisions and their needs is the next growth step that needs to be taken.

"Did not realize companies this terrible could get funding"

Pros

beer and nice furniture.
    the office building has a cool roof.

Cons

any company that pays it's employees not to quit, has a CEO that awkwardly pleads the staff to counter-act any negative glassdoor reviews with positive ones, gives over the top accolades to a mediocre set of 'founding members' - you're doing it wrong.

it was all smoke and mirrors, the amount of money they spent on furniture vs. development of any actual product and the CEO and all upper management waxing poetic on how world-changing their products are which essentially amount to nothing more than an interactive comment section and twitter aggregate engine - you know you're with a group of frat bro execs with over inflated egos and extremely unrealistic views of where they stand in the totem pole of 'silicon valley' - detritus-level.

if you think this review is overly harsh or an exaggeration, just wait until you're sitting in one of the circus show company-wide meetings.

Advice to Management

get off your high horse, it would be in your best interest to have more realistic views of what the company's product actually is, and the never-ending hoorah party of the company's extremely average 'founding members' can be toned down a bit. (if they were actually spectacular achievers, than yes it would be a well-worthy celebration. considering it's a meaningless circuitous never-ending pat on the back for the exec team, a total waste of time)

"It's a job"

I worked at Livefyre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Livefyre always had potential. Jordan has a great vision for the company. You get to work with some of the best/largest companies and there are still some really smart, warm and hardworking people. You end up bonding, like only survivors can, over the craziness that is Livefyre.

If you are proactive, self-motivated and don't need a lot of direction, you can still learn a lot.

If you come from a company that is more corporate or lacked deep culture, Livefyre won't be that bad, given you're in the right department and working under certain managers.

If you like drinking and parties and drinking and hanging out and drinking, this is your place.

Cons

Livefyre doesn't make its customers or employees a true priority. This is evident in the product and the product roadmap. Long-awaited features or bug fixes that both customers and employees have requested over several quarters are put aside for other projects or partnerships that only show value in the short-term, generate buzz, or are for one customer we're desperately trying to keep happy so they don't leave us. Product rollouts usually feel incomplete or lack true perspective from a user's point of view.

Starting in late summer, employees from all departments, new and old, have left Livefyre. Some teams are running on fumes. Management will get up and say that these people left for "better opportunities" or even "we wanted them to leave," but in reality it's mostly due to a combination of frustrations such as: lack of resources, opposing priorities, the inability to hire and properly staff, weak leadership, uncompetitive salaries, denial of raises or promotions, being overworked while others coast, favoritism, rampant company indifference, the list goes on. Even the most hardworking, longest-tenured or most loyal employees were treated poorly. When people do leave, they run the risk of being bad-mouthed or their contributions minimized.

Some managers and exec are extremely self-centered and don't even know it. They put personal growth and their own pet projects or agendas ahead of their team or lack sincerity and empathy. There is a lot of managing up at Livefyre and this can end up taking most of your time and energy.

If it's any indication, at last check, the HR team was a total of 1. There's no development or mentorship and the benefits most people really care about such as healthcare, 401k and PTO are subpar.

Advice to Management

If you're not going to just get the company sold already, get back to focusing on your customers and employees.

"Great in the Beginning..."

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Livefyre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 'worker bees' of the company were amazing, hard working individuals. Creative. Thoughtful. Caring. Beautiful place to work. Comfort. Great places to allow for focused work. Great food that is healthy and not junk. Fun events through out the year. The customers/clients of Livefyre are some of the largest companies in the world, and the chance to work with them is fantastic. Great benefits. Very dynamic platform, with lots of use cases and potential.

Cons

At the time of my departure, most of executive team is detached from the rest of company. There are a few Execs that really care. They seem to be making change in their departments and working to help others... but the change was slow or not occurring.

Advice to Management

Consider each employees as an asset and not expendable with the idea that you can hire someone to replace them. Loosing talent, knowledge, and passion is costly. Each person that leaves should be reflected upon and when feedback is provided, take it seriously instead of dismissing dozens of employees leaving. People care about Livefyre and they want to be treated fairly.

9. "Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great Company to work. Everyone is so energetic!

Cons

The company is expanding so fast that you dont know everyone in the company.

"CEO is a delusional sociopath."

I worked at Livefyre full-time

Pros

lots of booze and parties.

Cons

the ceo is way too confident in his own abilities, of which are questionable
    huge turnover due to said ceo. he has said some of the meanest and most hurtful things i've ever heard come out of someone's mouth. has made a lot of people cry.
    loads of gossip within the office.

Advice to Management

get rid of JK, if it's not too late.