Living Spaces Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Living Spaces CEO Grover Geiselman
Grover Geiselman

Pros
  • Great benefits and they provide lunch on weekends and holidays (in 12 reviews)

• They provided free lunch on the weekends (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Although being non commission, there are some leaders who push numbers like they are on commission (in 8 reviews)

• There is no commission involved at working here but they sometimes treat it like there is (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Living Spaces part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Living Spaces is a company that wants you to grow for yourself and understands your own needs. They'll help you with your ambitions like it's their own. Competitive pay and a job like no other really pushes you to prove to yourself all of the great work you can do!

Cons

Although being non commission, there are some leaders who push numbers like they are on commission. Living Spaces wants to do thing for customers not to them, but some employment just want a high number in their sales.

Advice to Management

Keep positive people in management and don't make numbers everything, They are a big part of any company, but not if it drives members away.

2. "Worst job I've ever had!"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in La Mirada, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in La Mirada, CA

I worked at Living Spaces full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get free lunches on weekends

Cons

Stressful environment and they work off a point system. So if you get sick or your family beware they will fire you for it. The customer's get such horrible quality of product you are threatened and yelled at daily. Very stressful environment. Management doesn't care about their staff. Human resources is a joke. If you get harassed or threatened by other employees they do nothing about it but will write you and the others up for bringing it up to management.

Advice to Management

Might as well find another job. You all are horrible people

"Part,Part Time"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Living Spaces part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered Lunches/Dinners on Sat & Sun
    (3) Free Shirts and/or (1) sweater,coat
    Free Parking
    Vending machines,lockers with lock,bathrooms in break room
    Paid Weekly-Direct Pay

Cons

Non-Commission Sales with a complete competitive Commission environment.
    Lofty sales goals rarely achieved by anyone. Bonus based on store sales not individual achievements .
    Broken furniture on sales floor.
    Walkie-talkie in ear entire time you are on the floor with constant . Must call out all customer engagements on floor into walkie rating customers a "buyer or a liar"
    1/2 hr lunch breaks
    part time considered 6-30+ hours
    Lack of communication by managers, one employee given new information,one given nothing.

5. "Not a bad job"

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Specialist in Downey, CA
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Specialist in Downey, CA

I worked at Living Spaces full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job if you need money and want to work day, evening, holidays and weekends.

Cons

Your shift is not permanent, you'll probably need to work day, evening, holidays and weekends

Advice to Management

More organization in management is needed.

"Run"

Current Employee - Guest Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Living Spaces full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch provided each weekend. Great fellow team members. Great commercials and nice stores.

Cons

Guest Services Department is dark, dingy and smells bad. Employees are treated like cattle. Due to the poor management of the rest of the company this department receives tremendous abuse from customers. From verbal abuse to threats of violence due to the customer's level of frustration. Working environment is very poor. All deliveries are done via a 3rd party company. These vendors take a lot of grief because no quality control is done before items are put on their trucks. Company professes core values but fails to follow them particularly when it comes to their staff. Company also claims to offer monthly bonuses but because executive team does not know how to budget for a call center, the bonus can be achieved. Essentially setting the team up to fail to achieve getting the bonus. HR team is negative and refers to call center team as "those people." They definitely do things to people and not for people, which is one of their touted core values. Once the sale has been made, things fall apart. Special order some are taking a long time and no one knows why.

Advice to Management

If you don't have the answers partner with someone who does. You cannot just focus on revenue. You need to have the infrastructure to support the growth. Guest Services is comprised of PEOPLE who work hard and take abuse all day due to you lack of vision and care. This people deserve a better work environment and better treatment from the company. Instead, the are an afterthought. This was made very clear in the recent AX system upgrade. What a mess. It would also be nice to see some diversity in executive management and perhaps might bring in a fresh perspective. After the sales has the made, things turn into a hot mess. Also there is no visibility to what is going on in the purchasing process and the special order process. Worst if all, no one seems to care.

"Does NOT care about employees! GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

they give you lunch on weekends and snack sized candy bars when you write a $5,000 ticket! whoohoo! (sarcasm here)

Cons

No COMMISSION! NO raise! ( I wrote over $2.5 million in less than 2 years!) , bonus is a joke!
    refused my raise request.

Advice to Management

management, look in the mirror, team is only as good as leadership. Leads stop drinking on the clock!

8. "Hard work but amazing benefits"

Former Employee - Brand Manager
    Former Employee - Brand Manager

I worked at Living Spaces full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company offers the BEST benefits and honestly values their employees. They work you hard but definitely reward you for it. You won't make it with this company if you're a slacker. Grover (CEO) really cares about his company as a whole.. including his employees which is extremely refreshing.

Cons

I personally ended up with a GM who seemed like she had a personal vendetta against me and didn't respect me which led to me leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on management and keep out the "bad seeds".

"Run away!! If the interview process seems easy it's for a reason.."

Former Employee - Product Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Living Spaces part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job I guess.

Cons

Terrible stress, unhealthy enviroment, , constant chatter on ear pieces, non stop horrible treatment. Employees (LEADS) got away with drinking on the job, sexual harassment, inappropriate behavior, rude behavior..I could go on forever. This place wore down my mental health and self esteem in just a few short months from the stress and terrible treatment.

Advice to Management

Start actually standing up to this company and stop playing favorites. Stop allowing inappropriate behavior and disrespectful behavior from employees to each other. This company is doomed because everyone quits so quickly when they realize what they've gotten into.

"Team member"

I worked at Living Spaces part-time

Pros

My co-workers were great people to get to know and great people to work with. Learning how to work for Living Spaces was easy and many of my coworkers were extremely helpful. They provided free lunch on the weekends.

Cons

However...while my coworkers were great; management wasn't very consistent. There were some great managers and other managers that weren't so great. Some of the managers were very degrading in the way they spoke to employees. There is also an inconsistent practice of policies towards employees. There's a lot of favoritism going on here.

And while they stress that it's supposed to be a pressure-free environment...there's a lot of pressure to sell, sell, and SELL. A lot of animosity is created between employees because of this pressure from management.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent and listen to your employees

"Worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Living Spaces full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro about this company is that it offers free lunch on the weekends. They do offer benefits to full-time employees but seriously your job is always on the line so how great can that really be?

Cons

I still get nightmares of this place. It was the worst retail store I have ever worked for. You make no commission but must work brutally to make your daily and hourly sales or else your job is on the line. They give you about 2-3 months to get positive numbers and if you don't-you don't make the cut. The environment is extremely cutthroat. People steal sales and the managers for the most part look the other way. Even sales leads do it but because they are up the manager's butts they wont even get a slap on the wrist. However, if your personality isn't liked by the managers than consider your job over. The managers sit up front in their little information booth talking badly about everyone on the sales floor-they'll talk about peoples personal lives and how they look. If you're somewhat cool with them, they'll share all this information and jokes with you. In order to make it to the top at this company you have to be selfish, rude and a kiss butt. Seriously, this company rates a negative 1 on the ethics values. They also make you watch endless videos to "train" you but really they are trying to brainwash you into believing you're are working for the best company around-don't do much training on actual products-which is what people on the sales floor are suppose to be, "production specialists". This is a money hungry company and will do whatever it takes to make a buck. They push the sales team to push customers into applying for credit to spend more money they don't have. If you're close to making a sale but don't the managers will be down your throat asking why you didn't pull out all the stops-offering credit, offering a lease to own option if they don't get approved for credit, call in sales leads to pressure the customer to close the deal, etc. seriously this place sucks and if you read Yelp reviews they don't treat customers the best or deliver on their promises. I had so many customers come in to complain about delivery, customer service over the phone, product quality and our VIP service we push onto customers which is a joke of a protection on products. Not a great place to work and you go home feeling horrible about how you sold your time to this ungrateful and greedy company.

Advice to Management

I can't wait to see this company fail! and I hope you find a way to make this company more ethical.