LivingSocial Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
LivingSocial President and CEO Gautam Thakar
Gautam Thakar

Pros
Cons
  • Very little appreciation for work/life balance in some departments (in 19 reviews)

• upper management does not care about the employees (in 25 reviews)

1. "Game over"

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

Laid back culture and environment.

Cons

All jobs are being moved to Chicago since acquisition

Advice to Management

Be honest.

2. "Not too bright"

I worked at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

Some nice people, great location, opens door to better places professionally

Cons

The employees aren't very bright (generally),and the management is even worse. Sorry, not sorry. The best employee was a fabulous gay guy and this other chick who appreciated good people.

Advice to Management

Hire based on merit, and fire according to individual contribution to the company's success (or lack thereof), rather than on favoritism.

"Sales Associate"

Pros

Teams are collaborative and small

Cons

no structure to career advancement

Advice to Management

more structure and plans more into the future

"Hopefully the company survives"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met and worked with some of the top performing sales people in the world who were not just coworkers, but family

Cons

New CEO taking company in a different direction. Has been a sinking ship, but hope it turns around

"Run for the hills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance. That's literally it. You can stuff your snacks in a sack, along with Spirit Week and Ice Cream socials. None of it matters if everything else is a hot mess

Cons

Where to start. LS has a long history of laying off great people only to rehire/promote less qualified people in the same positions mere months later. It's no wonder the company was in a tailspin.

Senior leadership is a bunch of people that stuck around long enough to get promoted. They are not people focused - they may have been good at their former jobs but that does not make someone a good people manager. Feels like they are just a bunch of parrots, repeating word for word what they hear from executives without any clear vision on how to support that or help the rest of us do our jobs.

Seeing a lot of feedback about HR and high school behavior, and I tend to agree. Environment feels very cliquey, with senior staff handpicking their favorites and blind to everyone else. If you're not one of their favorites, your voice, needs and opinions will go unheard. In a small office environment, sound carries. I had the misfortune of overhearing HR loudly complain about a former employee who had been laid off and had questions about the status of their departure. This person was so rude to the former employee, and it continued after the phone call was over when they loudly kept the complaint sessions going. It was disgusting and made me embarrassed to work at LivingSocial. Everybody has bad days at work and vents about their job, I get it, but maybe don't sit HR right next to everyone else if they cant keep their mouths shut with unprofessional comments. Even if the former employee was being rude, maybe give them a break? They just got laid off, and aren't you HUMAN RESOURCES?

It's very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel here. I trust that the executive team has a clear vision for the future of the company, but I'm not clear how that will impact anyone not working on new initiatives. My instincts tell me that we're just here long enough to help the shiny new toy stand on its own. Senior management needs to wake up and realize that everyone not in their inner circle feels completely unserved by them.

If you're applying to work here, you either literally just graduated from college or someone senior/executive knows you and brought you on. Buyer beware.

Advice to Management

Be better.

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. We work hard to create a culture where people can manage their personal and professional lives. And, I enjoyed Spirit Week, as well! But, I also ... More

"Too many dudebros, not enough business people"

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, low pressure environment

Cons

Low standards, no direction, the people in management positions are arts majors rather than MBA's.

Advice to Management

Hire MBA's, stop playing favorites and treat employees according to merit, not looks/personality.

"Just Not Right"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your in the click you're good! Good starter job for about a year. Good people.

Cons

Favoritism. Lack of direction. No HR support if you're not in the click. Lots of talk about how good things are getting but so many lies from the top it's hard to believe anything said. Be careful working here and don't plan to stay. Do not trust anyone in HR. I went to them and was later 'coached' about the issue from my boss. It felt wrong and I may join a few people in talking to a employment attorney.

Advice to Management

Fix the favoritism. Allow the employees a trusted avenue to talk about issues other than the Current HR team. Continue listen to the employees and to allow the employees the opportunity to help grow the business.

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take these issues very seriously, and we want to improve the situation. Employees are our biggest asset and everyone is valued for their ... More

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

Great benefits and people. c

Cons

Lack of direction and leadership from executive level.

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

LivingSocial is proud of our benefits package. We offer comprehensive healthcare, a generous PTO package (including sick leave), a 401k matching program, professional workshops, and a casual dress ... More

"Started out with such promise"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started working for LivingSocial almost three years ago, the company was full of positive energy and happy employees. Everyone worked hard as a team. There was also (sometimes) a full snack and soda apply, and the health benefits were awesome.

Cons

Everything went downhill after the new CEO Gautam took over. There were multiple layoffs, email support was taken down, and employees were required to take on mandatory overtime for months (which can get super tiring if you're taking back-to-back calls for 10 hours a day).

"Account Manager"

I worked at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

Great people and fantastic office location.

Cons

Management, business model, growth potential

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, think for yourself and do what's ethical.