LivingSocial Reviews | Glassdoor

LivingSocial President and CEO Gautam Thakar
Gautam Thakar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communication on the upper management- employee level is not always good (in 25 reviews)

• Never managed to nail a successful structure for senior management, not through lack of trying (in 22 reviews)

1. "It was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial (Less than a year)

Pros

i liked the people. they were great.

Cons

They ran out of money and had to sell to Groupon.

2. "Smart People"

Former Employee - Senior Partner Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Partner Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by talented people who make working worthwhile.

Cons

Communication pre-acquisition was poor. No security.

Advice to Management

NA

"Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Easy communication with management. A lot of opportunities to move around within the company.

Cons

I really can't think of any at the moment. It was sad when our office closed in Tucson.

4. "Senior Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The culture & team. Outstanding team and has proven to do incredible things with less.

Cons

Unstable financial environment.
    Bad financial decisions throughout 2012-2014 led to the downfall of LivingSocial.

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northeast, NY

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It really did have a lot of potential, and the culture was amazing and fun and filled with bright people.

Cons

There was too much opportunity and we were forced to expand too fast. This caused constraints on our focus and we couldn't get it done.

Advice to Management

Well, theres not much left of management, they were acquired by groupon. i am happy that many friendships were made, and the ride was amazing.

"Challenging but fulfilling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial (More than a year)

Pros

LivingSocial being small company offers the opportunity to waar multiple hats and learn different aspects of the business. I have been with LS for a while and enjoy my work here. I like the work environment and the inherent respect and appreciation people have for each other. I love the transparency across the board.

Cons

On the other side of being a small company means that the priorities appear to change quite frequently and you need to be able to take it in your stride and adapt.

Advice to Management

Continue the level of transparency and openness since it is a refreshing change from other places that I have worked at.

"Fun and Challenging"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: I started in non-profit and transitioned into for-profit and eventually ended up at Livingsocial. LivingSocial compared to many of my past jobs is such an adventure, not only is the office awesome - but I've learned so much about how a Tech StartUp on the east coast can really hold it's own.

Also, not only do I work with very intelligent and motivated people, I have a chance to take on challenges and adapt to change. I love the benefits and the employee engagement. I feel that employees matter and I feel there are so many ways to acknowledge accomplishments, for example there are screens all over the office displaying people's accomplishments and milestones (employees can recognize one another and this is something employees really do embrace). I feel that communication and transparency has become more of a thing in the past year. We have meetings with our teams and the entire company on a regular basis. We have a lot of fundraisers for the community. I feel that there are a lot of opportunities for employees to voice their opinions and ask questions. For an ambitious person who wants to grow in their career this is perfect opportunity.

Cons

Cons: No job is perfect and no company gets it right all the time but I think my overall experience at LS has been great. Since I joined there have been a few changes in our headcount as well as company structure but I feel that can be expected anywhere. It's never easy to adapt to change especially when you have to say goodbye to what you are use to and people you know. The executives have changed a lot since I first started, and with that comes a lot of new ideas - I think if a person is open to those ideas or is smart enough to make their opinions heard constructively there is nothing but a brighter future for them at LS. I still keep in touch with my friends who have left and many of them do not feel the grass is greener. People have also returned - so I think that says a lot.

Advice to Management

I think employees do not always speak up or speak out because there is a sense of instability within the organization. My claim to fame here is that I always felt that my manager was willing to listen and my ideas did not fall on deaf ears. I think that we need to reiterate that to employees. Speaking up does not put you in a bad light but in fact shows that you care enough to say what is wrong and smart enough to offer possible solutions.

I myself am to shy to speak up at times, especially in front of everyone, but then when someone else asks the same question - it gives me a sense of comfort to know I'm not the only one that wanted to know that. Maybe management can anticipate what employees are wondering. Maybe we can ask employees questions and see if they really understand the company's vision. Just a suggestion.

LivingSocial Response

Sep 1, 2016 – SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Employees like you, who share your ideas, solutions and speak up, make it easier for us to find ways to improve. I like your idea of asking... More

"Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I've had a lot of opportunities to move jobs internally, take on responsibilities outside of my "official" job scope that have helped me broaden my knowledge and skills, and work closely with senior leadership, which has helped me see the higher-level, more strategic context behind the decisions made.

After 5+ years, I still enjoy coming into the office everyday thanks to both the work I do and the people I work with, which is something I can't say for other jobs I've had or from friends about their jobs.

Cons

You need to be able to adapt to change pretty quickly since the work is fast-paced and the products and future plan are still evolving.

I also understand why the we scaled back to be mostly domestic, but I sometimes miss working for a larger-scale, global company.

Advice to Management

Continue the transparent communication.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at LivingSocial almost 4 years, and while we've been through a lot of changes I still feel motivated and happy to come to work every day. Management has made major efforts to increase communication and transparency and to cater to employees needs and concerns. The new R+ product is really exciting and I think it's great to see the team rally around the new direction. It's an exciting time to be at LS! Some pros include a great office, casual environment, great benefits, and fun events and activities for everyone.

Cons

It's been hard to see the impact of the layoffs- great people have been let go over the years and that's never fun.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome communication. Thank you for always being approachable and making me feel like I'm a valued part of the team.!

"Inside Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is beginning to see a lot of growth again. It's great to work in an atmosphere where there is open communication between the managers and associates.

Cons

The weekly company meetings could be a little more detailed. Also, more open lines of company growth and profitability would be nice.

Advice to Management

I would like to have more team bonding.

LivingSocial Response

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

Thanks for your comments. We’re glad you appreciate the commitment we’ve made to open communication. The bi-weekly standups have been a great way to share timely information about what’s going on... More