LivingSocial Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 14, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communication on the upper management- employee level is not always good (in 25 reviews)

• Never managed to nail a successful structure for senior management, not through lack of trying (in 22 reviews)

1. "Merchant Services"

Former Employee - Merchant Service Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchant Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

upper management does not care about the employees

Advice to Management

Stop laying off the best people

2. "Definitely a growing experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast paced environment with a lot of intelligent people.
    - Snacks and flexible (i.e. most managers were fine with team members working remotely a few days a week)
    - Ton of room for professional growth (most team's promoted from within)

Cons

- Lack of focus and direction from senior management
    - Decisions made based on guidance from board and not actual data from consumers
    - Layoffs at least once a year

Advice to Management

Listen to your consumers more

3. "Issues with workplace transition"

Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New ideas on how the workplace should function

Cons

Translating the process from a major city (DC) into a smaller city (Tucson did not work. The work force was not the same caliber and created issues.

Advice to Management

Listen to season Manager when they try to explain the differences in the environments

4. "Was a good ride while it lasted."

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good energized staff. Good territories to build up markets. Great product to sell to merchants.

Cons

The downfall of the original CEO. Changes in the comp plan, Moved towards a "points" based comp plan.

Advice to Management

Its not that serious, It was just a job. Look where it got all of us.

"Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at LivingSocial (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and co-workers were fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

Cons

always changing, tough competition and layoffs

Advice to Management

Listen to customers, employees and have been communication

6. "Copywriter"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super, super talented team with engaged managers. The work was miserable but the skills I learned have helped me in ways I would have never guessed. It was essentially an one-year extension of college, but eventually paid off.

Cons

Very bureaucratic and obviously volatile. Was laid off in 2014 but found another job within a month.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a little -- the Titanic is sinking whether you want to admit it or not.

"Challenging but fulfilling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial (More than a year)

Pros

LivingSocial being small company offers the opportunity to waar multiple hats and learn different aspects of the business. I have been with LS for a while and enjoy my work here. I like the work environment and the inherent respect and appreciation people have for each other. I love the transparency across the board.

Cons

On the other side of being a small company means that the priorities appear to change quite frequently and you need to be able to take it in your stride and adapt.

Advice to Management

Continue the level of transparency and openness since it is a refreshing change from other places that I have worked at.

"Fun and Challenging"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: I started in non-profit and transitioned into for-profit and eventually ended up at Livingsocial. LivingSocial compared to many of my past jobs is such an adventure, not only is the office awesome - but I've learned so much about how a Tech StartUp on the east coast can really hold it's own.

Also, not only do I work with very intelligent and motivated people, I have a chance to take on challenges and adapt to change. I love the benefits and the employee engagement. I feel that employees matter and I feel there are so many ways to acknowledge accomplishments, for example there are screens all over the office displaying people's accomplishments and milestones (employees can recognize one another and this is something employees really do embrace). I feel that communication and transparency has become more of a thing in the past year. We have meetings with our teams and the entire company on a regular basis. We have a lot of fundraisers for the community. I feel that there are a lot of opportunities for employees to voice their opinions and ask questions. For an ambitious person who wants to grow in their career this is perfect opportunity.

Cons

Cons: No job is perfect and no company gets it right all the time but I think my overall experience at LS has been great. Since I joined there have been a few changes in our headcount as well as company structure but I feel that can be expected anywhere. It's never easy to adapt to change especially when you have to say goodbye to what you are use to and people you know. The executives have changed a lot since I first started, and with that comes a lot of new ideas - I think if a person is open to those ideas or is smart enough to make their opinions heard constructively there is nothing but a brighter future for them at LS. I still keep in touch with my friends who have left and many of them do not feel the grass is greener. People have also returned - so I think that says a lot.

Advice to Management

I think employees do not always speak up or speak out because there is a sense of instability within the organization. My claim to fame here is that I always felt that my manager was willing to listen and my ideas did not fall on deaf ears. I think that we need to reiterate that to employees. Speaking up does not put you in a bad light but in fact shows that you care enough to say what is wrong and smart enough to offer possible solutions.

I myself am to shy to speak up at times, especially in front of everyone, but then when someone else asks the same question - it gives me a sense of comfort to know I'm not the only one that wanted to know that. Maybe management can anticipate what employees are wondering. Maybe we can ask employees questions and see if they really understand the company's vision. Just a suggestion.

LivingSocial Response

Sep 1, 2016 – SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Employees like you, who share your ideas, solutions and speak up, make it easier for us to find ways to improve. I like your idea of asking... More

"Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I've had a lot of opportunities to move jobs internally, take on responsibilities outside of my "official" job scope that have helped me broaden my knowledge and skills, and work closely with senior leadership, which has helped me see the higher-level, more strategic context behind the decisions made.

After 5+ years, I still enjoy coming into the office everyday thanks to both the work I do and the people I work with, which is something I can't say for other jobs I've had or from friends about their jobs.

Cons

You need to be able to adapt to change pretty quickly since the work is fast-paced and the products and future plan are still evolving.

I also understand why the we scaled back to be mostly domestic, but I sometimes miss working for a larger-scale, global company.

Advice to Management

Continue the transparent communication.

"Inside Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is beginning to see a lot of growth again. It's great to work in an atmosphere where there is open communication between the managers and associates.

Cons

The weekly company meetings could be a little more detailed. Also, more open lines of company growth and profitability would be nice.

Advice to Management

I would like to have more team bonding.

LivingSocial Response

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

Thanks for your comments. We’re glad you appreciate the commitment we’ve made to open communication. The bi-weekly standups have been a great way to share timely information about what’s going on... More