LivingSocial Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 18, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very little appreciation for work/life balance in some departments (in 19 reviews)

• Communication on the upper management- employee level is not always good (in 25 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at LivingSocial almost 4 years, and while we've been through a lot of changes I still feel motivated and happy to come to work every day. Management has made major efforts to increase communication and transparency and to cater to employees needs and concerns. The new R+ product is really exciting and I think it's great to see the team rally around the new direction. It's an exciting time to be at LS! Some pros include a great office, casual environment, great benefits, and fun events and activities for everyone.

Cons

It's been hard to see the impact of the layoffs- great people have been let go over the years and that's never fun.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome communication. Thank you for always being approachable and making me feel like I'm a valued part of the team.!

2. "Running Living Social Events"

Former Employee - Experience Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Experience Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at LivingSocial part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun People
    Fun events
    Experience being a tour guide
    Experience dealing with event management
    Running bus tours was a pretty koosh job

Cons

Long hours spent on your feet
    Early mornings/ late nights for events

Advice to Management

This sector went out of business in the Seattle Market. It was fun while it lasted

"Bringing back the boom"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial (More than a year)

Pros

LivingSocial cares. You see a lot of old media, but working here has been the best move for my career and future. Through all of the changes, I have been given opportunities and new responsibilities I would never have been given before. If you asked me a few years ago if I would be where I am today, I couldn't have imagined it. The culture has taken a great turn from where it was, and I a feeling the team spirit in ways I haven't seen. The communication has been great and improving, transparency has been very apparent, and the senior team is very engaged with their teams now...way more than ever before. We have regular team standups, biweekly all hands, and regular emails from the company. Beyond day to day life, the work life balance is great. I have ability to work from home if I need to and the benefits and choices for healthcare are fantastic. The best thing about LS though is definitely the people. I love my team, my manager and my colleagues. Coming to work is fun. The turnaround has been amazing in the last 2 years.

Cons

Sometimes, I feel like I have taken on too much new responsibility. Exhaustion sets in every once in a while.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing back the boom. It feels good to see the management engaged and working with their teams everyday. I love having our leader sit with our department. The senior team is readily available always, and it's been great getting to know other departments. Spirit Week was so much fun---keep having events where we can get to know each other!

4. "Business development"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at LivingSocial (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home. Set your own hours. Work with local businesses. Corporate in DC and not where I live.

Cons

Micro manage a lot. Set goals that you can't reach

"Still a great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

Pros

The employees are motivated, the business is doing well and the pay and the benefits are great too! I've been there for almost 5 years and find it still challenging and an exciting place to work.

Cons

It's still a startup so it's not for everyone.

"Run for the hills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance. That's literally it. You can stuff your snacks in a sack, along with Spirit Week and Ice Cream socials. None of it matters if everything else is a hot mess

Cons

Where to start. LS has a long history of laying off great people only to rehire/promote less qualified people in the same positions mere months later. It's no wonder the company was in a tailspin.

Senior leadership is a bunch of people that stuck around long enough to get promoted. They are not people focused - they may have been good at their former jobs but that does not make someone a good people manager. Feels like they are just a bunch of parrots, repeating word for word what they hear from executives without any clear vision on how to support that or help the rest of us do our jobs.

Seeing a lot of feedback about HR and high school behavior, and I tend to agree. Environment feels very cliquey, with senior staff handpicking their favorites and blind to everyone else. If you're not one of their favorites, your voice, needs and opinions will go unheard. In a small office environment, sound carries. I had the misfortune of overhearing HR loudly complain about a former employee who had been laid off and had questions about the status of their departure. This person was so rude to the former employee, and it continued after the phone call was over when they loudly kept the complaint sessions going. It was disgusting and made me embarrassed to work at LivingSocial. Everybody has bad days at work and vents about their job, I get it, but maybe don't sit HR right next to everyone else if they cant keep their mouths shut with unprofessional comments. Even if the former employee was being rude, maybe give them a break? They just got laid off, and aren't you HUMAN RESOURCES?

It's very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel here. I trust that the executive team has a clear vision for the future of the company, but I'm not clear how that will impact anyone not working on new initiatives. My instincts tell me that we're just here long enough to help the shiny new toy stand on its own. Senior management needs to wake up and realize that everyone not in their inner circle feels completely unserved by them.

If you're applying to work here, you either literally just graduated from college or someone senior/executive knows you and brought you on. Buyer beware.

Advice to Management

Be better.

LivingSocial Response

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. We work hard to create a culture where people can manage their personal and professional lives. And, I enjoyed Spirit Week, as well! But, I also... More

"Too many dudebros, not enough business people"

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, low pressure environment

Cons

Low standards, no direction, the people in management positions are arts majors rather than MBA's.

Advice to Management

Hire MBA's, stop playing favorites and treat employees according to merit, not looks/personality.

"Just Not Right"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your in the click you're good! Good starter job for about a year. Good people.

Cons

Favoritism. Lack of direction. No HR support if you're not in the click. Lots of talk about how good things are getting but so many lies from the top it's hard to believe anything said. Be careful working here and don't plan to stay. Do not trust anyone in HR. I went to them and was later 'coached' about the issue from my boss. It felt wrong and I may join a few people in talking to a employment attorney.

Advice to Management

Fix the favoritism. Allow the employees a trusted avenue to talk about issues other than the Current HR team. Continue listen to the employees and to allow the employees the opportunity to help grow the business.

LivingSocial Response

Aug 18, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take these issues very seriously, and we want to improve the situation. Employees are our biggest asset and everyone is valued for their... More

"Started out with such promise"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started working for LivingSocial almost three years ago, the company was full of positive energy and happy employees. Everyone worked hard as a team. There was also (sometimes) a full snack and soda apply, and the health benefits were awesome.

Cons

Everything went downhill after the new CEO Gautam took over. There were multiple layoffs, email support was taken down, and employees were required to take on mandatory overtime for months (which can get super tiring if you're taking back-to-back calls for 10 hours a day).

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not your usual call center atmosphere. Light hearted and fun and treated employees well. Provided employees with free coffee/beverages and snacks.

Cons

Mandatory overtime during peak seasons. Business closed doors in Tucson. I would have continued to work there for quite some time.