Liz Claiborne Reviews | Glassdoor

Liz Claiborne Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • When Bill McComb came on board everything changed (in 3 reviews)

• Company is no longer in business (in 3 reviews)

1. "It's hard to review such a large company since each division has its own pros and cons."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have very decent and competitive benefits including unlimited sick days for corporate salaried employees. Competitive salaries and summer hours.

Cons

Since the day I started both of the divisions I was working for were poorly managed and losing money. They do not work on personal and career development at all. Because of that the managers are never reviewed by subordinates and are often unprofessional. HR was never pleasant to deal with, but I'm sure they are the same at every large corporation.

Advice to Management

Require corporate associates to anonymously and confidentially review their managers. Teach your corporate managers how to properly manage!

2. "Overall unorganized, but the location at which I worked was phenomenal... everyone felt like family and took pride!"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Osage Beach, MO
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Osage Beach, MO

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong directions
    Loyal customer base
    Decent pay for hourly supervisors

Cons

Difficult to promote up in the company
    Retail work hours... difficult to maintain a work-life balance
    Lack of appealing benefits

Advice to Management

Integrity is key

3. "This was my first job after I graduated from college. It was a great training ground for the fashion industry,"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time

Pros

Excellent industry training. Many places to move within the company. Strong business relationships. Bought new, exciting brands like Juicy Couture into the mix. Sample sales!

Cons

Brand became watered- down. Too many Liz-brands that didn't differentiate enough from each other.

Advice to Management

The LIZ brand is still powerful but there is a strong need to redefine it or re-invent it for today's market.

5. "great when I started...went downhill when Paul Charron left! and changing the name to Fifth & Pacific won't save them!"

Former Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator in North Bergen, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people, benefits, opportunities and just plain fun to go to work - at least at the time!

Cons

politics, HR BS, narrow vision within the company...but they did provide excellent international job growth opportunities...

Advice to Management

what made you think outsourcing would be, in the longterm, a cost savings? you ended up, for all intents and purposes, re-instituting DBA 'services' back in-house...thanks! HR (at least at that time) couldn't be trusted...one (or more) generalists left because they refused to be a part of the BS...and as with a lot of private sector companies - you played shell games with employees' job/job ...futures...AND got away with it

6. "Great people, not so much the company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Great benefits - 21 days PTO, unlimited sick days, summer hours
    - Amazing AMAZING people. Communication is very open and employees are constantly helping you out if you need. It is very laid back - I saw a review about how there was a lot of office gossip and chitchatting. From my point of view, yes there was gossip and chit chat, but that's expected! People know when they need to get down to business and they work hard. We were not slackers, at least not in my division. I learned so much during my time at Liz...

Cons

- Bad leadership (Bill McComb) and instability of company. Employees are jumping ship because they fear they aren't safe in the long term ...and who can blame them? With all the layoffs and change within the company, no one feels safe. Hopefully Liz (now 5th and Pacific...) will come around and make a comeback. But it has lost its spark, and its direction.

Advice to Management

get it together man!!

7. "The WORST place ever!"

Current Employee - Shipping Associate in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Shipping Associate in West Chester, OH

Pros

good benefits and vacation time

Cons

very unorganized and terrible leadership at the corporate office which would be why we are closing

"Rollercoaster ride of highs & lows due to frequent re-organization of company by sr. mgmt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent benefits - but only for those who are hired in NY- if you work for one of the divisions in LA, you may not receive the same package.
    In NY, 21 days of vacation out of the gate, frequent sample sales, matching 401K, good health insurance. Great group of people, many with long careers in the industry - good place to learn about the wholesale fashion business.
    Some of my very best, challenging & productive work years were spent there - I'm proud to be an alumni.

Cons

Liz Claiborne was founded as a company with forward-thinking respect for its employees & the core of that has survived on the corporate level - however, its brands have increasing autonomy - not all of them share the same values. It's a shame.

Advice to Management

Liz Claiborne has a legacy of delivering to its accounts well made, innovative product in a timely fashion - its wholesale backbone & team of experienced professionals are a valuable resource.

"Good"

Former Employee - Manager, Product Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Product Development in New York, NY

Pros

If you want to learn about product development process this is a good place.

Cons

Not a focused company, constant changing of direction.

Advice to Management

If you downsize emplyees you should not ban them from being hired by other divisions of the company-that is disgraceful.

10. "This company is being run to the ground"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NJ

Pros

Lots of perks. Sample sales, summer hours, 21 vacation days

Cons

Upper management is horrible at communicating when big changes take place. Employees find out most of the changes through press releases on the internet. They keep selling all the brands. I would be surprised if they are still in business in a year.

11. "It was a good company to work with"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in North Bergen, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in North Bergen, NJ

Pros

Good vacation package and summer hours
    Casual dress code
    Friendly people
    Work load was OK

Cons

Senior management have their favorites
    Not career advancement

Advice to Management

The Senior management should trust the managers under them. The senior management have their hand tied and it looks like the middle management has no power.