Lloyd's Register Reviews | Glassdoor

Lloyd's Register CEO Alastair Marsh
Alastair Marsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • And finally, "business-line" senior management communication transparency is lacking (in 19 reviews)

• Inept middle management is allowed to thrive while lower level employees shoulder the burden of two to three people's jobs with no compensation (in 8 reviews)

1. "Surveyor"

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Industry Leader in the field.

Cons

Too much emphasis and pressure on the quantity of jobs and not quality of the job.

Advice to Management

Provide more support to employees in the way of simpler systems.

"LR's Greatest Asset"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

What do I see as Lloyd’s Register greatest asset? It would have to be Lloyds Register Human Resources. They have great employee engagement programs. The HR group is consistent in providing programs to the employees; from work programs, health related programs and even personal well-being related programs.

Their Manager Coffee Breaks are always well presented and informative, although unfortunately, not well attended. I don’t think many of the managers realize the level of commitment our HR team has and the gems of information they have to share with us.

I have never attended a poorly presented training class. They find ways to make safety, managing diverse employee populations and even commercial awareness engaging and applicable.

Our HR advisors are available, patient and great mentors! They work incredibly well together and are excellent at covering for each other so there is never an issue finding someone to help on those special occasions when extra input or another point of view is sought.

I have read on this site that they do not take harassment/discrimination claims very seriously. As a manager, this has not been my experience. I have witnessed their due diligence on more than one occasion and found the investigations/outcomes to be thorough, fair and appropriate.

The benefits are comparable or better than other major employers in the Houston area. They bring in presenters for special lunch and learns on personal finance, healthy eating and other great topics. They also go out of their way to find special discounts for employees for a variety of items and services.

Our location has offered free chair massages; know your numbers clinics, yoga classes and numerous other health challenges to motivate staff. We’ve had office-wide BINGO days, International food days, department-to-department trick-or-treating and costume contests. Whatever they do - they do with creativity and enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, we are going thru a global transition implementing many new HR, Finance, and other software systems, so some hiccups/delays are surfacing and frustrations are pretty common right now.

Cons

For every positive, there is surely some negative since no company is 100% perfect.

I would have to echo those statements made on Glass Door – LR is a very male dominated company and advancement opportunities, especially for women, are minimal.

IT tools/equipment are old and slow and this seems to be perfectly acceptable. The amount of money that is wasted as staff wait on their computers to move from one screen/action to the next would likely be shocking if it were ever tabulated.

And finally, "business-line" senior management communication transparency is lacking – pick up any book you want on Leadership and this is always on the top 5 list. Most messages seem filtered, which makes you feel like they are trying to hide something; or very fluffy, a whole lot of words but no real meat.

"Great Pay BUT......... Politics and Backstabbing abound"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and amazing benefits. MOST of the people you work with are great. opportunities for advancement are good as the company has many different business streams.

Cons

Once you reach the mid to upper management level it is very much like a secret society. It reminds me of Survivor with all of the scheming and plotting going on.

Advice to Management

Eliminate 3/4 of the VP positions. Run the companies you buy like they were ran Before you bought them. Moduspec and West are prime examples of 2 successful companies LR bought and then ruined.

"A once great company that has lost its rudder"

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

Local office colleagues and culture
    Benefits
    Flexible working
    Exposure to global projects

Cons

Top heavy (execs/London) totally out of touch
    Bureaucratic
    Working staff has been laid bare, too much work and too few heads
    250 years of no change at all, now head-spinning change dictated from the ivory tower without regard for the affects on employees
    Insufficient communication, poor change management

Advice to Management

You charge your customers premium prices for a "Rolls Royce" product, yet the company is still bleeding money. Could it be due to more hires in the executive suite than in the ranks? Or perhaps because you continue to implement terrible technology which is outdated and not "fit for purpose" (JDE, BOS, SAP, Lync)? Or maybe the new strategy is more talk than walk. Where are the LR values in the current way we work? It's starting to look better from the outside looking into LR than the other way around.

"Sr. Technical Specialist"

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great people.

Cons

Constant lay offs and employees were not evaluated fairly.

"Excellent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Lloyd's Register (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent working environment very enjoyable

Cons

There are no negative aspects.

"engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Company is flexible with work hours. Sufficient vacation time. Seems to be taking good care of the employees.

Cons

There are no absolutely no perks. Growth opportunities are less. No program for developing careers of the employees. The human resources department lacks competency. They are not proactive in solving problems.

8. "My Short time at Lloyds"

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, Room to advance your technical skills. Peaceful work atmosphere.

Cons

Promotions don't come easy here.

"Interesting work but little room for carrer growth."

Current Employee - Marine Surveyor
    Current Employee - Marine Surveyor

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours when low working load. Learn new technical skills.

Cons

Limited ability to advance in the company. Overtime: 12 working hours before getting overtime - where I'm based.

Advice to Management

Listen to the recommendations made by workers who make money for the company.

10. "Proposal Specialist/ Contract Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment to work.

Cons

No cons to report.