Local Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Local Corporation CEO Fred Thiel
Fred Thiel
1 Rating

1. "Great team fairly unstable"

Former Employee - Data Quality Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Data Quality Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great people to work with here and learn from. Great work life balance. Loving the tech i get to work on.

Cons

The cubes are pretty ugly. The company has been struggling for a little while now, and the future is uncertain.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers and get out of the failing business model. Focus on a product that creates value for the users not just a dollar.

2. "Great company to work for. The people are bright and understand the market for their Media Services and Products."

Former Contractor - Senior Recruiter/Staffing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Recruiter/Staffing Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation as a contractor

Pros

They occupy a great office space and have created a very nice environment to work in. They are very friendly and professional. They brought in Turkey lunch on Thanksgiving day and we had a mini Thanksgiving with the whole Local team. While there they bought 6 other companies and I helped with that transition and recruited for the now conglomerate company. They have the keurig coffee and tea maker in all the break rooms for free. I really liked my Direct Report Manager She was great to work for. Als o everyone in the HR dept and all other departments were really upbeat. A lot of smiles at Local.com.

Cons

They did offer free snacks and free soda and waters from the vending machines in the break rooms. But when we moved to a larger office space, they set things up differently. We had to pay a fee/put money in the vending machines. But the snacks and drinks had much lower prices than market prices/regular vending machines. So not too much of a Con.

"Worked at Local for 2+ years."

Former Employee - Tele Sales in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Tele Sales in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local Corporation has strong work-life balance and benefits. There are good opportunities for advancement. Many of the technical and sales folks are well qualified and professional.

Cons

The Executive Management Team is improving, but has lacked professionalism at the COO role. The company's "co-operatition"model with the major search engines puts the company in a fraught and vulnerable position.

Advice to Management

Suggest ensuring that productivity, diligence and integrity are the factors for advancement; the new CEO is apparently inclined towards a meritocracy, which would be a step forward.

"Telesales"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive employee culture, great product, very happy to come to work in the morning.

Cons

The sales department was laid off without notice.

Advice to Management

Give the employees a chance to improve their performance if it is not up to snuff.

"Truly enjoy my job at Local Corporation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Local Corporation for 2.5 years and love what I do and who I work with. I feel I'm treated with respect, appreciated for the work that I do and that I'm a valued employee. The pay is great, the people I work with are fabulous and the perks Local provides create a fun environment. Movie day, indoor mini golf, Dave and Buster nights...Local understands that employees are an integral part of the company and that we sometimes need and deserve to let loose!

Cons

There were layoffs in the past (as most companies go through) and though it's never easy, especially saying goodbye to great people and friends, sometimes it is necessary for the overall success of the company.

"Really good people and a company that has ethics & integrity"

Current Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I enjoy the people I work with
    - Competitive pay
    - Good leadership in the Inside Sales Department
    - Good company functions
    - Food, drinks, lunch, special events
    - Ethical sales strategies (compared to other internet marketing companies)
    - Always bettering products & new products
    - Performance determines opportunity

Cons

- layoffs
    - more growth opportunity
    - pay could always be better
    - they do hire some idiots (who complain on sites like this when they get fired)

Advice to Management

Some people in management are not the best people for the job. Its a tough world, but only the strong survive and the weak need to see the door. Reward the those who strive for excellence, work hard, and have the insight and competence to make this company growth stronger. Reward the people who working to make this company better!

"Local.com for a Senior Software Engineer's View"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

Friendly environment, nice team to work with, successful rapidly growing company. Wages are generally competitive, and stock options are good (but not great).

Cons

The principle shortcoming is the lack of opportunity for advancement. This is partly due to the small size of the technical staff, but it is also due to the policy of only filling technical management slots from outside. In the 4 years I was there this has never varied, though some positions were occupied by technical types when I hired in (but they quickly vanished).

A junior programmer might be promoted to senior, but a senior has no where to go. Increases in responsibilities are not reflected in title or salary changes.

Similarly, wage adjustments have lagged inflation even though inflation has been low. So my salary at exit was less than hire in, even though I did excellent work.

Technical management turnover has also been a problem, with several outsiders hired in, and then let go, with resulting inconsistent performance reviews and evaluations for the technical staff. This is frustrating.

Also - despite the fact that all of the crucial internal business systems run on Linux, management refuses to hire any Linux trained people for infrastructure! There are all only Windows certified/trained! This drops all of the real Linux sys admin work on to the developers.

Advice to Management

More consideration for the skills of the senior staff, and opportunities for genuine advancement are needed. Keeping salaries up-to-date and offering real increases (not sub-inflation "merit" increases) for superior performance should be the rule. Serious attention to retention of key staff is needed.

8. "Vice President"

I worked at Local Corporation full-time

Pros

Great team and Good People
    New CEO is innovative and forward thinking

Cons

Legacy business weak
    Over-reliance on Google and Yahoo

Advice to Management

Invest in future
    Empower the team

9. "Dynamic environment"

Pros

Very intelligent and friendly people. No random people work there, everyone weight on their place and is super capable. I learned a lot from the people I worked with.

Cons

I felt I had very little control on general business decisions or power to make improvments.

"Exciting opportunities on the horizon - a good time to be at Local Corporation"

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The online landscape changes constantly and as a result workflow changes focus often - which keeps things exciting and challenging. I constantly feel like I'm learning and continuing to grow.

There are also fun perks like summer hours, a really fun holiday party and a summer picnic.

Pay is competitive and benefits are good.

Cons

There is a tendency to be spread too thin here. More help in my department would be nice at times.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on unique products that will set Local apart from the rest of the pack. Make sure we focus on quality over quantity.