Local Government Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Local Government Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2019

Found 17 reviews

2.9

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Phenomenal benefits - medical, dental, 401k with 10% company contribution Safe working environment, as in not intimidating Positive, friendly, team-oriented staff with a focus on serving the membership as opposed to the bottom line Supportive management (at least the department I work for) Lots of room for career advancement since the credit union is growing so quickly

Cons

Antiquated formal dress code...I don't work directly with members but I hear our public facing reps dress more casually (like the rest of the modern world) because our member base tends to mistrust people in suits and ties. So those of us who don't work with members are required to dress formally for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

Please drop the dress code. That is all.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2019-03-03

"Solid financially, but top heavy regarding structure"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and some good people working there.

Cons

Company is very top heavy with respect to the number of managers and VP's. I worked in a dept that only had 15 people, but we had 6 managers and VP's. So, 6 managers were managing 9 people.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2019-03-13
  3. "Great Career Starting Point"

I have been working at Local Government Federal Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, a focus on team building, always trying to have fun activities and treats, very flexible job environment

Cons

not much I can think of

Local Government Federal Credit Union2019-02-12

"Its a 8-5 mediocre paradise"

I worked at Local Government Federal Credit Union

Pros

You get a Paycheck, good benefits

Cons

Management basically is trained to make sure you get there at 8:30 and leave at 5:30. They'll look at your work and nod and move on. It's true a few employees were fired because of open door policy to HR. HR is a joke, stuffy environment, arbitrary dresscode, the above situation, etc.... some rules are set because of personal preference from upper management. Innovation is irrelevant and frowned upon, you get places by...

Advice to Management

Try to tailor the hiring process to find more mindless yes-men. Theres plenty of backwoods in NC, recruit more in those areas.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2018-11-22
  5. "It’s a pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, good benefits, a lot of nice people and many employees are dedicated to working hard for the good of the membership.

Cons

Not every manager is good at his or her job. Some need extra mgmt training. Very risk-averse organization means things move slowly. Relationship with SECU makes change a challenge.

Advice to Management

Weed out employees who arent focused on bringing value.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2018-10-30

"Marketing"

I worked at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They offer incredible benefits and pay. Their executive management are industry leaders and are passionate about the membership base. Headquarters is a collaborative and innovative space. LGFCU encourages a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

LGFCU has grown exponentially in the 5 years I was employed and has experienced many growing pains. I can only speak to my experience in the marketing department; as I am sure other departments have satisfactory work environments and management teams. In my opinion, LGFCU needs to routinely assess employees satisfaction with their direct management and HR teams. This will offer insight into the employees perspective...

Advice to Management

Launch an outside investigation and gather information on claims received regarding management, this should include VP /SVP levels. Ask the employees for their thoughts, experiences, and concerns. Implement procedures and guidelines for management teams to follow. Enforce consequences when those guidelines are broken. Encourage an environment of peace and collaboration. Guidelines should also be set for HR employees....

Local Government Federal Credit Union2018-10-12

"Run"

I have been working at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro is the fact that you receive a check.

Cons

Management staff sucks, HR is horrible, Brown nose employees

Advice to Management

Take a course on management

Local Government Federal Credit Union2018-01-12

"Review"

I worked at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Benefits were amazing. Time off was perfect.

Cons

If you weren't in with the in crowd, you didn't get anywhere. If you spoke up about concerns, you put a target on your back. People only watch out for like people.

Advice to Management

Understand the job and environment.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2017-11-30

"Vanilla company"

I worked at Local Government Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, low pressure, no after-hours work. This is a job you can leave at the door every night.

Cons

Cheap company. Employee functions are really low budget while member events are extravagant. Ridiculous dress code. Not very innovative organization, though it thinks it is. Some long term employees essentially show up and sit at a desk all day with no real purpose.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like the grownups they are, and they will respond accordingly.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2017-05-18

"Snakes in the grass."

Pros

Benefits (medical, dental, retirement) are over the top which is probably why a lot of folks keep putting up with the management circus.

Cons

The "open door policy" is just a facade to get you to express how you really feel. Once you make that mistake management will retaliate and ultimately may terminate you like they recently did to two employees who use the open door policy.

Advice to Management

Stop kidding yourself and trying to pretend that you are better than average. Create an employee Ombudsman that reports to the President, not HR. Fire everyone in HR and outsource the duties.

Local Government Federal Credit Union2017-05-19