Local Motors Reviews | Glassdoor

Local Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2019

2.3
Local Motors CEO John B. Rogers, Jr. (no image)
John B. Rogers, Jr.

"Remember It's A Start Up. Know what you're getting into. Educate yourself."

I have been working at Local Motors full-time

Pros

Lots to do, lots of changes, lots of inspiring, smart people work here. The leadership works insanely hard, although not many people recognize that.

Cons

Cons- team members (current and former) who are misinformed, gossipy, and overall negative like to spread the negative. They lack the education and ability to look above their pay grade and do not recognize that there is, in fact, a lot of strategy and hard work going on behind the scenes throughout the entire C-suite team (most never truly take a break and work far more than anyone can see and definitely don't... receive the appreciation they should).

Advice to Management

This advice is to those who have moved on or are considering finding a new job (as so many posts from former employees seem to imply is happening) talk to the RIGHT people. Talk to people who know the strategy. Accept the fact that you are in a start up and there are going to be a lot of changes, a lot of hard pushes and that we have an opportunity to do something great here. The recent refocus and restructuring may... not be the last of the changes. Can you accept that? If not, that's okay. This is a HARD job. But don't force your negative views onto the rest of the team and is ready to buckle down and get the work done. Management- It's okay to let your team know when there is struggle. They appreciate transparency and will respect you more if they feel they are in the know.

Local Motors2017-02-10
  2. "Fun, fast paced, aggressive timing"

Current Employee - Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Local Motors full-time

Pros

They value their employees, endless opportunities to work on a broad spectrum of tasks decent benefits. Leaders in 3D printed vehicles. Working on the edge of technology. Great place to learn a lot, in a short period of time.

Cons

Usual small company issues in a start up phase. Formal communication not always timely. Systems and methodologies change more frequently then longer established companies.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward. Consider 401k matching.

Local Motors2019-07-19

"Won't allow friends or family members to go to work there"

I worked at Local Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to keep getting other people's money and never make a profit

Cons

No communication from top and constantly changing near term goals that can never be achieved

Local Motors2019-06-12

"Improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxon Hill, MD

I worked at Local Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, pto, fun place, staff.

Cons

Company does not have a clear direction on where they want to go or product to make.

Local Motors2019-05-03

"Happy every day that I took the leap and moved on"

I worked at Local Motors full-time

Pros

Unlimited vacation for some members, good pay, brand is well known and mas made cool products in the past.

Cons

Boring products, a toxic management team, engineer bashing and an irresponsible HR department. Since moving on from Local Motors I have witnessed and enjoyed a new world of opportunity. I have learned that other companies value employees and the development of employees, hire nice, talented leaders as managers with years of experience and focus on developing products. Work gets done smoothly and effectively, work... is enjoyable and not something to dread. Local Motors problems center with the management of the company, they hire many egotistical managers that are new to automotive management and make decisions within the company without the advice of engineers. This leads to LM to develop buzzword products without releasing them in a workable state. Management made poor choices to acquire or develop hardware which led to under performance because decisions are based on how good the products look, not how they function or the real-world effectiveness. This way of operation has led to some long-term consequences for Local Motors and some of its employees. This company does not celebrate its engineers or development, they are viewed as replaceable entities and not assets. As a result, engineering has zero say in the development of products, receives very little help towards the development of products in terms of any resources. Engineers are lured in, chewed up and spit out. Every team seemed hostile toward engineering during my time at the company. HR defended themselves and the upper management. Certain upper employees were untouchable and could get away with anything they wanted including hostility, harassment, rumor spreading and general workplace bulling. HR was incompetent, always turned their backs and isolated themselves (literally by the way they arranged their desks) to concerned employees. Many lower level HR employees have moved on to better things. Luckily, the global automotive industry is small so word spreads quickly about particular employees, especially in the management side, to avoid. Many lower level employees that have moved on have helped develop some ground breaking products across many industries. It is only a matter of time before they flip the switch again to something completely different automotive buzzword to appease investors, go for another round of funding and repeat the process in its entirety. This process can only be stopped by removing upper management, decreasing the number of management positions and bring in a few talented leaders from the automotive industry.

Advice to Management

During my tenure I was unfortunately stuck in a period where there were too many chefs and a few Indians. There were so many employees and forms of management that they took lavish retreats leaving the company abandoned. It looks like some key members of upper management have been forced to move on, which is a good thing and it is showing, the company seems to be getting better.

Local Motors2019-04-18

"Changed in 3 years"

I worked at Local Motors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company was very employee friendly and the vast majority of the employees were as close as family. We did many non-work activities together during off work hours.

Cons

The main direction of the company changed randomly. When I started we were building the second generation of the rally fighter. During my employment we moved to 4 different main goal ideas and never reached any of them.

Local Motors2019-02-26

"It's not a start-up; they've been around for 10 years and they're still lost."

I worked at Local Motors full-time

Pros

The unlimited vacation is definitely a big perk. The people are awesome! I worked with some really good people who I'm still friends with and talk to after leaving.

Cons

The management has no idea what they're doing. They are in over their heads. Everyone who is in a managerial position has never been trained and don't have any prior experience for the positions they hold. Which explains why they keep on promising these insane deadlines and promises, due to their lack of knowledge. Local Motors has always over promised and under delivered no matter what we say. It's almost like they... don't learn from their previous mistakes. Also they refuse to listen to anyone who wants to help and improve. If you speak up to raise concern it's seen as an attack against the company or the CEO. I was told plenty of times to keep my mouth shut even though I was just asking to learn about the strategy that management had planned. Speaking of which you never get to see the plan for production, no matter how many times it was promised to be sent out or shown to the company for the last 2 years. You would expect more from a company that's been around for 10 years, not sure how it's survived this long! Thanks to our one and only "secret" investor.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees. They want to know the what's going on, but time and time again the employees have been lied to and mistreated. Stop with the bs, own up to what you have and maybe hire people who actually know what they're doing.

Local Motors2019-03-02

"Poor Organization"

I worked at Local Motors full-time

Pros

Great Team, very knowledgeable in the field

Cons

Management has unrealistic goals and time frames

Advice to Management

Engineers know more about materials than "managers"

Local Motors2018-03-26

"Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Local Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Surrounded by some amazing people

Cons

Job description didn’t match the reality of the job

Advice to Management

Don’t promise things you can’t deliver on.

Local Motors2017-11-04

"Still FAKING it. But not so fast."

Former Employee - Former Employee in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Local Motors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay isn't bad. They made a couple real products.

Cons

Read the other reviews and you will not believe that anyone with money to invest would spend it on such an unorganized company with no sensical plan to develop and manufacture a safe, working product. They have spent nothing on safety or quality & reliability testing. If they could produce the little busses, someone is likely to be injured or worse. The vast majority of the engineering and assembly staff is long... gone and the management staff is mostly made up of inexperienced opportunists that are way over their heads.

Advice to Management

Give back the investment funds that remain and get back to work at real companies that have a workable plan and obtainable goals.

Local Motors2017-11-06