Localytics "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Localytics Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 15, 2017

3.7
Localytics CEO Jude McColgan (no image)
Jude McColgan
Pros
Cons
  • "Had an amazing exec team when the company was young including (WP and BS - for those that know them)(in 3 reviews)

• "Employee growth does not exist at Localytics(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Love this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super talented people who are passionate about their job. Great tech space to be in with incredible opportunities. - Transparent management to the top - Awesome work/life balance - Top talent - Great career opportunities - Flexible on things and great ability to make adjustments - Great cross-department collaboration - Great office space/location - mmmm snacks & killer beers on tap

Cons

All companies have problems but this place is light on the cons in my opinion. To be honest I hate to even list things since IMHO they aren't anything different than other places.

Advice to Management

I've seen lots of change over the last 2+ years and the culture at this place has always been a top priority. Don't loose sight of this as we continue to grow and evolve.

Localytics2017-06-15

"I can honestly say I love my job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The opportunity is yours for the taking here. Come in, work hard and prove yourself and the sky's the limit -Minimal red tape. Localytics is extremely agile and if you have a good idea you can pitch it and run with it -Autonomy to do your work. You feel empowered to make decisions and test out new things. There are very few micro-managers (at least on my team) -No startup is perfect at this, but the exec team... tries to be really transparent -Flexible and excellent work/life balance. As long as you get your work done and continue to perform at a high level Localytics is really laid back about WFH and vacation time (there's unlimited vacation which is cool) -The people make Localytics what it is. They're incredibly smart and talented but also fun. Just great people in general who like to work hard/play hard -We've been know to throw a good party (or 10)

Cons

-It's a startup. You're along for the ride. If you can't handle that it can be a bumpy one at times, I'd advise you not to work at any startup. -Some teams have some managerial issues to work out

Advice to Management

Keep the culture the way it is today where everyone can be open, honest, and have a little fun. It's what makes Localytics a great place to work. Make sure teams feel empowered to run with new ideas or challenge the status quo. Occasionally, it seems like we do things based on a hunch and not data. Also - Sift out the few bad managers who are causing employee churn.

Localytics2017-05-18

"Not as bad as it looks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Engineering peers are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with -Everyone is focused on improvement of the product and our processes -Technical/infrastructural debt is understood and working it down is planned into roadmap -Stay pretty close to the bleeding edge on technologies, especially within the AWS ecosystem -Lots of opportunities to learn a lot and grow quickly and get experience with services at... scale. Your interest level is your only ceiling, unlike some software jobs that just need warm bodies to make web form #1001 -The flexible work/life balance is in the right place, the company does not value grinding you into dust with hard hours and has the respect to trust you to manage your productivity -Financials are discussed and transparent to the team during various levels of company meetings held multiple times a month

Cons

-Poor growth planning in 2015 severely damaged the company reputation. Hiring too quickly and without enough organization forced a layoff in January that was unfortunately timed with the ebbing of VC funding in the industry. The fallout from this has ruined employer reputation for hiring the new employees we need to keep the company rolling forward. Look at the ratings trend on this site, the rating was amazing... until January and it was tanked by the layoffs. -Organization around employee growth like career paths, performance reviews, and such never got implemented, which is odd for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Keep working to restore the organization's reputation so we can start hiring talented people again. Also keep a close eye on attrition as it can quickly become a feedback loop if not careful.

Localytics2016-09-11

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Localytics full-time

Pros

Localytics is a very ambitious startup, expecting alot of growth with alot of demands on employees. They host many events for employees but that also distracts from work/life balance as outings and after work events are usually considered mandatory.

Cons

Overall, there is a lack of experienced managers and leadership. Management places extraordinary demands on employees with vague expectations. As a result there has been a great deal of employee attrition recently. All employees sit in a large loud open space, and how many hours you spend at your desk will be closely watched. Before considering how much options could be worth, demand a signing bonus upfront to... make sure there is a commitment on the other side before joining.

Advice to Management

Management has a very arrogant approach, focusing on appearance over results. They expect to be the largest tech company on the east coast within three years. Management should make more effort listening to employees needs in the short term before focusing on long term growth.

Localytics2016-01-08