Location Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gagan Singh

1. "Great company going through lots of change"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management is approachable, communicative, and competent for the most part
    - Work-life balance is unlike any other company where I've worked - it's okay to take a couple days off to care for your sick kid or work from home to deal with personal/home things (I haven't done this but it's pretty common in the office)
    - Phalanx Fridays: different teams present on what they're working on, a great way to expand your knowledge outside of your area of expertise and perhaps have a deeper appreciation for how your work fits into the greater company goals
    - Dogs in the office!

Cons

With the Avast acquisition, change was/is inevitable. There has been significant turnover as a result, and it's a critical time for the company to retain and (continue to) recruit quality people. From what I've seen, management is taking an active role in addressing this by getting to know its people on a more personal level, upping recruitment efforts, and, in some areas, allowing us to be part of the change (e.g., taking into account our collective opinion on benefits).

Pay is about on par with the market, if not slightly lower. But, I feel like the culture around professional growth and promoting talent mobility make up for the slightly lower salary.

This company takes takes calculated risks with its products, which is a good thing to remain competitive in the market. Unfortunately, with shifting priorities from the carriers, ideas with potential get put on hold or dropped completely.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Continue hiring great people who see the long-term company goals and want to be here to make that happen.

"Ok"

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

East bay location, scenery view of the bay

Cons

No remote work, no parental leave beyond what is a law, lunch only one day a week, regularly empty fridge (no water even, and to find fruits is a rare surprise), no 401K matching

Advice to Management

Tasso's departure was a bummer, as well as the departure of many of the very best employees in 2016.

"Strong culture even in times of change."

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Straight up - this is a great place to work. Location Labs has an excellent culture and the employees are well taken care of. The people here are diverse, talented, scrappy, and inclusive. When I started here, I had no tech experience and I was welcomed with open arms and felt as though I could approach anyone, even the CEO and VPs, with my basic questions. Although there has been a lot of change since being acquired by Avast, the work environment is still enjoyable.

We’re in a new office with a killer view of San Francisco, right next to the freeway (super easy for commuting from East Bay and SF and scoping out the traffic situation from a bird’s eye view), and convenient, free parking. Also, we have dogs! I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve heard friends say that we’re so lucky we’re able to have dogs in our office and they’re absolutely right. Dogs make every day better.

The pups are great but the people are even greater. I legitimately enjoy spending time with my coworkers, both in the office and in real life. We work hard but also let loose with quarterly events (winter party, farm to table event, rafting trip, other sorts of outings…) and share our interests through SO many clubs (gaming club, outdoor club, badminton club, bowling team, etc etc etc).

My advice for people reading this is that every job/life situation is what you make of it. We believe that initiative drives meritocracy so if you work hard for it, your team will support you in upward movement. No one is going to try to stop you from achieving anything here…LL loves to promote from within. Our retention rate is above average for the tech world and most of the time when people leave LL it is because they’ve come upon an awesome opportunity that is more in line with their personal passions. Even if we’re sad to see them go, we totally support them in their next chapter.

Also, we work in technology – there’s constantly new issues that we’re working around and occasional uncertainty is certain. We value underdog grit and are always looking for new coworkers to bring into the team to help tackle problems cohesively.

This place definitely isn’t perfect and I honestly don’t plan on staying here forever, but this is a phenomenal company with loads of potential. I also advise taking negative reviews with a grain of salt and if the positive reviews speak to you, come check us out. We’re pretty neat.

Cons

Have you ever heard of a decently-sized company with 100% employee satisfaction? I’m going to confidently guess no. Every place has one issue or another. Location Labs has gone through a lot of changes over the years but even in a new office with new leaders, we keep on keepin’ on. These changes aren’t entirely to everyone’s approval, and that’s fine. That’s normal.

Our current office space is a bit lacking when it comes to communal areas and places to sit, BUT people spoke up and now that’s going to be addressed by turning a large open storage space (which was previous planned to be a large board room, storage, staircase) into a big, open kitchen and collaborative space. We’re still adjusting to the changes brought about by our new parent company, but it’s been said multiple times that feedback is welcomed and I actually do believe it would be taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Management needs to put more effort into keeping the “phalanx feel” alive and well. Be it more mid-day activities or competitions or some other cool idea of sorts – I feel like we need to encourage interaction and collaboration between teams to keep the overall Location Labs phalanx strong. LL has such a solid foundation and we’ve have built a really respectable company, so let’s keep it up.

In my opinion, our new “leader” (he’s not CEO so I’m not entirely sure how to refer to him) hasn’t made a huge effort to get to know his people. The former CEO, Tasso, knew everyone by name and remembered an incredible amount of detail about each person. Our new leader has been around for a while now but I feel like there should have been a bit more time put into getting to know our people and our company. That would be step one in handling the “us (LL) vs them (Avast)” feeling that can come about after an acquisition.

"Dont walk but run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Location Labs (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Friday
    Decent benefit package

Cons

Nepotism run amok - Its encouraged to hire friends above all else. The end result is incompetence at nearly all levels. There is even a "family graph" that depicts how deep the nepotism runs in the company outside the CEO's office. There is a particularly large "professional" ultimate frisbee bro contingent here which the company is dominated by. The company's current profile picture on Glassdoor even depicts this fact.

Most of the people with influence or power in this organization have been at this company for +10 years and lack understanding of industry standards or practices. They only know the LL way and are unwilling to change or let go.

The hiring practices led by an incompetent HR staff continually results in bad hires and the company has a terrible turnover rate.

No tangible career growth here across the board. Updating someone's title does not equate to career growth.

Advice to Management

Quit your current hiring practices. Many of you need to be replaced with people who have real industry experience that can move this company forward. Quit preaching about how valuable culture is and how you want to improve it and actually DO something about it. Quit making interns fluff your Glassdoor rating, its pathetic.

Location Labs Response

Aug 27, 2016 – COO

Thanks for the feedback, which we always take seriously. I apologize that we failed you, but here’s what we are shooting for... Please Bring in Great People You Know: We absolutely use referrals ... More

"Cult"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Location Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like to play in kindergarten, this is the place to be.
    Easy work, casual dressing, snacks etc, basically a rat house(i didn't mean frathouse)

Cons

Ridiculous teams, poor management, double standards at every level, no career growth(technically), subtle racism, incompetent HR, lack of respect among teams

Advice to Management

Maybe join trump campaign, you all will look better there

"Great People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at location labs for two months now. This has been the best work culture i have been part of. I feel extremely valued as an employee. Everyone I work with is smart and motivated.

The software engineering process they have implemented is great at getting the most out of employees. I have grown and learned a tremendous amount in the last two months, and I can only see myself growing more in the coming future.

Cons

The company is growing quickly, so there are a lot of changes. This can be a positive in software engineering, but it can be difficult for new employees who are getting used to the system. The on-boarding process for new engineers (especially those with limited experience) could definitely be overhauled. A lot of being successful in a new company is learning from a great mentor. However, if that mentor is bogged down with work it can be difficult for them to spend the appropriate amount of time training a new hire.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great Place if You Are Great; Tougher if You Aren't"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It has been really interesting to read the reviews. I've been here for a long time and the reviews are pretty easy to parse: smart and action-oriented people really thrive here, at any level, and grow and are given more responsibility quickly. Less talented folks who expect to be carried through a system struggle and get angry about it because things are not given to them.

I started at Location Labs really junior (like part-time junior), even though I had worked at other big companies before. Location Labs was really different in one core respect: I've never worked at a place where great people are given so much room to grow and excel. There is no bureaucracy slowing you down. The Leadership team is really sharp and there aren't any politics. They all want to win together.

More recently, the company is trying to "grow up." Company values (awesome) are now painted on the wall and reinforced in company meetings where the CEO calls out people who have recently exemplified each one. The HR team has tripled in size and brought in some really talented and analytical people. Certain teams have rolled out "career growth ladders" and more are coming.

The Management team is also super honest and straight-shooting. Many of us were concerned about layoffs when Location Labs was acquired by AVG. Management said that layoffs would NOT happen and that the company would grow--and it has! The only people who have disappeared (for the most part) have been some folks who were struggling anyway... overall team size has grown and quality has improved.

Cons

The downside here is that the "systems" are not as strong as other large companies I have worked at. My perspective is that that is a good thing for smart people who are go-getters and problem solvers--there is no "system" in their way. However, it's not great for weaker employees or those who need to be handed things--they don't get carried along by any system like they do at some larger companies.

There is not a lot of training for managers in the middle and that needs to change if we are going to continue to grow at this pace. I see some younger folks who could grow faster than they are (IMO) if they had managers who were more dedicated to growing them.

Lastly, the future is a bit less clear than it used to be. We were just acquired but have not really worked very closely with AVG. Are we going to? How? I have some ideas...

Advice to Management

Work hard to over-communicate: the company is now pretty big and so communication doesn't come as naturally as it used to. Also need to train more managers in the middle: there is great "leadership" at the top but we need to train more people to facilitate communication and training.

Finally, what is the plan for the next year or three? Are we going to work more closely with AVG or continue to focus on our own business?
    And how do we hire faster? Some of our teams are drowning with all of the work!

"Great culture and opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Culture: there's a huge emphasis on creating a positive culture and people are down to earth and have pride in the products we create. We always have company events, in and outside of the office. I've worked for many other companies where hand-holding, micro-management and awful attitudes was the way, LL is not that.
    Growth: teams are encouraged to keep learning, they promote professional development. You are treated "like an adult" and motivated individuals move up the ranks.

Good benefits, Friday lunches, great work/life balance. Senior management folks are approachable and down to earth.

Cons

We still run like a start-up, sometimes the small community feel is great, but sometimes it's a bit unorganized. Although, I have been seeing some improvements in HR, IT and other teams that are currently growing within the last year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love working at Location Labs.

"The bad reviews are accurate"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Location Labs (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, snacks, perks, and hours.

Cons

No faith in middle/upper management, especially since the buyout.
    If you're not tight with the ultimate frisbee players, expect to get passed over

Advice to Management

Cronyism leads to bad morale. Don't be surprised if you keep losing great employees.

"I need to speak up this is not right"

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse co workers with a varied breadth of knowledge among them. Free food on Fridays and unlimited snacks throughout the week

Cons

Low Morale, absurd IT department, you will only move up based on who you know and if they are personal friends outside of work. Mischievous executives.

My title is "I need to speak up this is not right" because i felt I needed to let both glassdoor and potential employees know that the recent influx of positive reviews for this company is false and it's a directive by the CEO and other executives to bury the negative albeit correct reviews of this company for former and possible future employees.

I have had a mediocre experience with locationlabs in the year and a half that I have been employees there but both my positives and negatives ring true. I don't feel comfortable with the falsification of the positive reviews when I know they are blatantly fraudulent, that taints and goes against everything that glassdoor is here to offer for future employees of both locationlabs and other companies listed on this web site.

Please stop the falsification of bogus reviews and asking your employees to lie for you. Do something about the IT department as they are out of control and it affects all aspects of making great software. I don't need to list this issues as all you would need to do is ask any software engineer or if the "open door policy" granted true immunity then you would have the truth about how the leadership of IT affects the entire process of making great software.

Advice to Management

Stop polluting your employee base with "yes sir men" stop fabricating a false image of your company and please do something about the IT department.

Location Labs Response

Jul 2, 2015 – COO

Software Engineer in Test, lots of vitriol here directed at our small (understaffed) IT team. Very sorry to hear that you haven't gotten what you wanted from that team--I know that they are working ... More