Lockerz Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Don't even bother."

Former Employee - Advisory in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Advisory in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lockerz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working here. They are not kind people and they do not value hard workers.

Cons

I was with Lockerz from 2009 till 2014. It was my dream job. I loved it and never had any complaints. My naive dream was to work for them until I got old. Once Lockerz/Ador was bought out by LightInTheBox, I was immediately laid off. I was told an hour before my shift ended. There was no warning. I have yet to find another job. It's been six months. I'm not qualified for unemployment benefits.

Advice to Management

Never, ever sell to a foreign company. Why did you have to destroy Kathy's vision? This is not what she wanted.

2. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Lockerz (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros of working at lockerz. It was an ok place.

Cons

It was a mismanaged company with a lot of turnover.

3. "Good idea but never got traction in the marketplace"

I worked at Lockerz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to make an impact and work with some really talented people. High traffic website that looked pretty cool and had some good products.

Cons

Inability to change course or direction when users were leaving service. Too much bureaucracy for a small startup. Negative energy.

Advice to Management

Change to fit the markets needs needs to be faster. The vision was not working. Needed to change direction sooner.

"Hello... do you guys know what you are doing?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Lockerz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

we have moved into new offices that are in a good location and clean
    you can play ping pong at work
    there is free food

Cons

no direction, strategy or business model
    we are at the verge of running out of funding
    management team is a clique

Advice to Management

we need new management. management is the problem. there is a ton of talent in the organization but not for what we are trying to build. no one knows what we are building or who we are building it for. isnt that a problem?

"Getting Acquired"

Former Employee - Director, Lockerz Photos in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Lockerz Photos in San Diego, CA

I worked at Lockerz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lockerz acquired the company I built and was the CTO of, Plixi. Being an integral part of a KPCB backed company is a great learning experience for anyone that works for Lockerz. You'll hopefully grow lifelong relationships with the leaders, mentors, and investors of Lockerz.

If you work hard, you get to work on things that interest you and have a big impact to a wide audience. Also, the pay was good for senior people.

Cons

There was always a Seattle vs. San Diego attitude once the Plixi team was acquired and there were two offices. Even two years after the acquisition when most of the people in Seattle were new, there was still this animosity between the two offices. Everything is 100% in Seattle now, which is a good thing for the company. Working remotely was never set up in the companies culture, thus the company never strongly benefited on the strengths of remote workers.

For a small company, there were a lot of politics involved. People were more worried about he-said-she-said stuff rather than just working on the product and making it better for the users.

For a startup-type company that doesn't have its product quite figured out yet, and doesn't have crazy growth traffic, there's no need to have a huge enterprise software/hardware stack. It was the opposite of the Lean Startup.

Advice to Management

1. Don't assume you know what the users want. Use the data you gather to make product decisions. Though at the same time don't be afraid to put something out there. If you just keep building and rehashing the same idea, no one will get to see the awesome things the team built.
    2. Try to find partners that have no contracts or 30-day out contracts.

"Continuous Abysmal Experience"

Current Employee - Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Lockerz full-time

Pros

* Food
    * Pay

Some co-workers provide a good support structure to get through another day at Lockerz.

Cons

* Getting ahead is all about politics
    * Innovation is stifled
    * Still don't know what Lockerz actually does
    * Employees are treated like assets to be used, then tossed
    * Management lacks fundamental leadership skills
    * Company lacks direction
    * No focus on data to support decision-making

Advice to Management

No more lies, no more politics, and figure out what Lockerz' actual product is.

Most of all, please stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor.

7. "Great talented team and on the right path"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Lockerz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very talented team
    Much improved DNA in areas of need
    Fun working environment
    Some great initiatives underway
    Leadership is great and committed to make this a great place to work

Cons

Unfortunately there are still some misconceptions about working at Lockerz. Team is working on it, but you might hear out of date information.

Advice to Management

Keep on making company more open and transparent. Take proactive steps in the community to show that things have changed. There are some great opportunities ahead.

8. "Great place to work, will miss it"

I worked at Lockerz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- CTO & CPO are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable, great people to work for
    - Marketing team is fun, smart, amazing
    - Entire team in general is talented, culture has 180'd to awesome, they've done a lot in the last year and am so excited to see what they pump out in 2013
    - Catered lunch 3x per week

Cons

- Stop printing, it's 2013! ;)

"Abysmal Leadership, Confused Product and Continued High Turnover = Avoid This Place"

I worked at Lockerz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Three free lunches a week and a snack bar. The company seems to spend money liberally, and this perk is a byproduct of that.

Cons

First, the leadership doesn't have a clue as to how to run a business. The well-publicized acquisitions are a great example. How did any of the acquires (AddToAny, Plixi, VodPod) help this company? That's a great question to ask leadership, and one they wouldn't be able to answer without sounding like a sugar-coated PR machine. The company shut the San Diego office down (where the former Plixi team resided) two years after they acquired them.

Second, the company still hasn't managed to accomplish anything. Who talks about and uses Lockerz? More importantly, who can answer what Lockerz is? The product has gone through such a radical metamorphosis yet they still can't figure who or what they are. First they were like Facebook, then they became like Pinterest and now they're an affiliate network?

Lastly, the fact that the former CEO, Kathy Savitt, left the company three years after she founded it speaks volumes. Don't get fooled into the fact that she's the company's "Chairman" (just a friendly way of saying she'll fly up to Seattle once every three months for a two hour board meeting). She ran this company into the ground. Just ask the hundreds of former employees (yes, hundreds as this company has laid off a record amount of staff over its tenure) what they think of her. My prediction is that the overwhelming majority would have a negative perception of her. Out of touch with reality and too impulsive, these are qualities that make a bad CEO.

Advice to Management

Shut down and rebrand yourself. You're still perceived as a free prize site (and quite frankly, when you were, you had a better tangible idea).

"Lockerz is an AWESOME company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Lockerz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Leadership, Great CTO, great perks, Voted Seattle's #1 Start-Up 2012

Cons

Had technical troubles with the site for a long time, but the new CTO turned it around.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to customer experience.