Lockheed Martin Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lockheed Martin Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Cons

1. "Great work, mediocre compensation"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job security is high, the work is typically interesting, and the people were great.

Cons

The bureaucracy of getting through to higher levels of management. The employee review process is very long and tedious. Depending on the program you work, career advancement may be slow.

Advice to Management

Continue tweaking the employee review process. It's good that you gather input directly from the employee, but the stakeholder feedback gets to be too much for higher level employees.

2. "Soul-sucking institution"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid me more than any other software internship in the twin cities would. I learned I never want to work in the defense industry.

Cons

I worked most of the time in KShell(80s technology) on software that had been written in the 90s and abandoned. They never implemented anything I made, so the internship was basically a joke. The environment is very gray and when you look at the corporate hierarchy you realize it's 9+ levels of management that don't do anything but come by once a month to recite platitudes and corporate propaganda. Most of the people here sit on six figures while the air traffic control software hasn't changed much in decades. Don't go here if you want a modern software environment to build useful relevant skills for the 21st century.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the absurd management hierarchy, come to terms with modern software development, find useful stuff for the interns to do so they don't get bored out of their minds in a sea of gray cubicles filled mostly with old people.

3. "Purchasing, Customer Service and Logistics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Unfortunately, they closed their doors in my area.

5. "former"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Farmington, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Farmington, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, challenging work, great people.

Cons

industry (DoD) can be challenging at times

Advice to Management

none

"Loved working for Lockheed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have previously worked for LM a total of 10 years and at 3 different locations. Each time, I liked the people, the work environment, and the company mission. LM does a nice job trying to insure their employees are comfortable and well trained. Depending on your division and position, the hours are flexible. The last division I worked for had 9/80 work weeks. It is like getting a long weekend every other week.

Cons

The downside is you are working in an industry (defense) that is subject to lots of layoffs and uncertainty. During layoff times and plant closings, the mood of employees is sour. Even so, most people still tend to try to do the best they can for they dying position. Pay could be better.

"Senior Staff Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Major programs and advancement opportunities. Potential for long-term career with programs sometimes running decades. Various U.S. and international locations, providing the opportunity to relocate. Stable company with highly experienced employees.

Cons

The defense industry is cyclical with war efforts. Lockheed Martin consolidates and closes facilities during market downturns, which is understandable, but the closures may be perceived to be politically based instead of due to sound business decisions.

Advice to Management

Continue to successfully deliver on complex technology programs, thus making the company eligible to win new contracts. When closing facilities, select those based on sound business analysis vs. what's politically expedient or easier.

8. "Not sure...new hire"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Associate in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Associate in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, potential tuition reimbursement for grad school

Cons

Lack of young people; older demographic

9. "Great company with fantastic talent management"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Project Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Project Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internal and external education support and plenty of internal advancement opportunities presented to those who care to pursue their career.
    9/80 work hours with every other Friday off was a great perk.

Cons

Massive size of company can be daunting for those who aren't proactive. Existing policies can deter some new ideas.
    Company success tied to government political relationships which vary regionally.

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue and share long range strategic vision internally to keep the spirit alive.

10. "As a government contractor never working at a company facility I still feel included."

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

extensive benefits and stock purchase and other financial benefits along with training and tuition/certification
    reimbursment up to $5400 a year

Cons

feeling dislocated from management and benefits it took me over two years to find out the opportunities available.

Advice to Management

HR needs to have a presentation of benefits and when they are available to new employees.

"Don't know if it was the corporation or the division"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Exciting opportunities
    - Working with high-tech solutions
    - Very defined culture, comfort of business expectations
    - Supporting our nation's warfighters; feeling to contribute to our national defense
    - Mission focused

Cons

- Management sometimes forgot who we were working for, despite the company slogan; in decisions, what was best for the company was the primary motivator, and often times what was best for the customer (warfighter) wasn't even a consideration
    - Management instituted a time recording system in which excess hours worked on a project beyond 40 pr week were NOT to be recorded, resulting in some unethical practices that I didn't feel right about (5-o'clock programs)
    - No clear path to move up. Despite management promises, it took me quitting to finally get offered the promotion that was denied to me over several years. Had they offered me the promotion earlier, I would not have left to go to another company.
    - You are treated like just another cog in the huge corporate machine. To the company, you are just a number. That would be okay if the middle tier and local management didn't also treat you that same way.

Advice to Management

- Making profit and supporting the customer are NOT mutually exclusive
    - Invest in your employees. Don't expect the government to continually foot the bill to train and educate your employees.
    - Have a plan to move high performers into higher positions; don't make them feel they have to leave the company in order to grow
    - Don't ask your employees to engage in questionable time-keeping practices. Defense contractors got slammed for this twenty years ago during Operation Ill Wind; don't make the same mistakes again. Just because you can't plan for adequate schedule or priced your contract to win without any idea of how to actually accomplish it, don't put it on your employees to donate countless long - and unrecorded hours - to save the corporation money.
    - Ensure your employees are feeling valued.

Showing 35 of 4,956 reviews