Lockheed Martin Reviews in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Palo Alto, CA

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

"Real rocket science here; satellites and missiles."

Current Employee - Materials Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Materials Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a viable idea, you may get funding to develop it. If not, there are many other projects to work on. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

It's easy to feel lost or isolated in this enormous corporation. Horrid commute and ridiculous housing cost in SF Bay Area.

2. "Really Depends on Team"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Because it is a large company there was a lot of freedom to mess around with the data as I wanted in order to show case my own ideas and show them to management. Because of this I was able to be recognized early on and get a lot of interesting projects.

Cons

The downside as with most companies is that it could be really slow with too many levels of management to really affect anything.

Advice to Management

To really hold more meetings that take in the opinions a lot lower than you. A lot of people have really good ideas they just don't know who to tell it to!

3. "Very Good Company - STAR Labs (formerly Advanced Technology Center)"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern

Pros

People are understanding, helpful, and kind.
    The work is cutting edge and interesting
    The location is fantastic. Very bike-able.
    Competitive salary, good benefits, even for interns.
    Stable business

Cons

Difficult to shift roles, both vertically or horizontally in the company. If you are the type of employee that likes to get their hands in on many very different projects, or wants to move up in the ranks quickly by merit alone, this may not be the perfect environment. Also, the work culture and "vibe" is quite stable and at times stale, very much the opposite of a start up in that way. This, though, is very typical of a very large, defense-oriented company, and is less a "con" and more simply a reality.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, maybe do a bit more with publicity vis a vis projects that have a publicly view-able component. This could give more of a face to the otherwise obscured visage. And maybe the culture could benefit from a little more employee-interaction by way of employee events (again, I was just an intern, but it seemed as if this was lacking)

4. "Typical Engineering 9-5 job"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company, so lots of engineers to use as resources

Cons

Cube farm, projects rarely come to fruition

"Steady but not ideal for a young engineer"

Former Employee - Level II Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Level II Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job security for employees below level 5. Acceptable starting salary. Excellent health care for ~$20/week. The culture encouraged a good work/life balance where is was completely normal to work a 40 hour week.

Cons

The company is big and slow-moving. They do a poor job of capturing new business and tend to get focused on small savings at the cost of good employees and general productivity. It's difficult to get raises and promotions at low levels.

Advice to Management

Look at the bigger picture. Try to bring in new business and resources rather than squeezing what you already have.

"Stable company, slow-moving, good if you like defense"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good if you like involvement with major hardware e.g. F-35. Not so strong on R&D, heavy on bureaucracy.

Cons

bureaucracy to the max. Terrible at commercial. Only good for government stuff.

7. "Long time employee at the Advanced Technology Center"

Former Employee - Various From IC to Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Various From IC to Director in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unmatched opportunities to propose and execute highly innovative, highly complex space flight hardware development projects, both research investigation projects for NASA and technology demonstration projects for other government agencies.

Cons

Initial "one size fits all" approach to business and engineering process implementation was a mistake that has yet to be undone. Senior management was reluctant to accept higher potential risk for significant cost and efficiency benefits.

Advice to Management

Allow and enable the proven teams at the ATC to experiment with lower cost and more agile processes on the smaller NASA research and other technology demonstration projects. Find a way to better shield these groups with demonstrated successful experience from the processes necessary to the larger company.

8. "Meh"

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Decent company culture

Cons

Lack of interesting and relevant work
    Lack of transparency from managment
    Terrible communication about R&D happenings
    Little to no career mobility

9. "I have worked at LM for 10 years"

Current Employee - Optical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Optical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Technically challenging tasks, good pay

Cons

Very little possibility of advancement

"I used to be disgusted...now I try to be amused."

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

So many cool projects, so little time! Honest, if you can find a good manager who can keep you in charge numbers for projects that interest you, you will never be bored. And it's not all missiles and airplanes and shoot-em-out-of-the-sky stuff. You can hold your head high no matter what your politics are. You can be as intellectually challenged as you want to be.

Cons

After a while the paperwork/time accounting starts to get to you. And lately it's getting harder and harder to find the magic charge numbers to justify your existence. Did I mention ethics training? The buildings (in the Bay Area, anyway) are drab and the people dress to match them! Women are few and far between, BTW. But on the flip side, the're wicked smaht :-)

Advice to Management

Oh, well. That's like asking a cat to give advice to a dog. "Keep on herding, you're doing an awesome job.."? Really. You are dealing with engineers. Watch "Office Space". Don't make us do paperwork. Understand where our interests lie and help us find work in those areas.

Showing 12 of 5,010 reviews