Lockheed Martin Reviews in Richland, WA | Glassdoor

Marillyn Hewson

1. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richland, WA

Pros

Benefits are good. A lot of good people in the office where I worked. Plenty of training opportunities, including conference attendance. Work/life balance was pretty good as well.

Cons

My pay was extremely low to start out, but my manager was aware of this and did work to bring it up pretty quickly.

This may just be my location, but it was way too difficult to actually get anything done in my office. There are so many regulations and overbearing rules that must be followed that things move at a snail's pace. One top of that, there were a lot of people that were so used to this that it seemed like they dragged their feet during the process. I was there for 3.5 years and each of my projects took probably 50% longer than it needed to. The reason felt like it was mostly cultural and not because of a lack of skill.

Advice to Management

I was right out of college with this job. While there was training on specific technical skills, I didn't receive much help in the area of soft skills. I picked everything up just by watching what others were doing and realizing that I did or didn't want to be doing that. I think some more intentional general training/guidance for younger employees could go a long way.

2. "Share the wealth...Please!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

Pros

Pretty good job, good people, pockets of insightful, helpful, competent management

Cons

Lackluster performance of peer groups, morale in a race for the basement, Richland business unit treated like the redheaded stepchild by Corporate.

Advice to Management

LM top management receives multimillion-dollar raises and bonuses, while they proport that there is no money available for anything but a 1.5% raise. A good performing employee can't get a raise that even keeps pace with inflation. Money is a serious motivator. Marilyn & Co, push some of that down to us! Or, abandon the Hanford contract and focus on something where you can treat your people with dignity, respect and pay them at truly competitive rates.

"Financial"

Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst in Richland, WA

Pros

I have worked for Lockheed for 11 years and have been happy with my job and learning new things.

Cons

It can be very clickish

Advice to Management

Be open and honest and respect your employees.

"#1 in Goverment Contracting, but Worst in Employee Treatment / Compensation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job.
    Probably looks good on a resume.
    Now I know better than to work for them.

Cons

Cheapskates on pay, benefits, raises, etc.
    Built on the typical Good Old Boy network, where only knowing people outside of work gets you anywhere.
    Filled to the brim with incompetent workers...probably because they're cheaper.
    Working with 80% of the workforce who doesn't know what they're doing is very frustrating for those who do know what they're doing.
    All of the typical giant corporate contracting B.S. but multiplied to the max.
    Good luck getting anywhere/promotion without changing jobs and moving to a new state.
    Poor job availability.
    Worse than the government. If you worked for the government before and thought to yourself you had no idea how they managed to function, Lockheed is worse somehow.

Advice to Management

I don't think anyone can fix this company. From my experience, it's trash from the top down.

"Don't look for longterm here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richland, WA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin (More than a year)

Pros

paycheck, learning experience, flexible schedules

Cons

low pay, bad morale, older employees will flatly say (and do on a regular basis) get out when you can, bad 401k outlook which is easily lost if/when company loses contract, no matter how well you do pay will always be based on years experience with no other considerations (i.e. education, track record, etc)

Advice to Management

Stop taking such an old school one size fits all approach to your employees

7. "Positive experience, but couldn't stay there forever"

Current Contractor - Imaging Operations Clerk in Richland, WA
    Current Contractor - Imaging Operations Clerk in Richland, WA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and willing to help, positive atmosphere. Not an overly difficult job and you get on the job training.

Cons

Job depends on amount of work available and contract. If there is no work, you don't work.

"Low Pay"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richland, WA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the coworkers I work with on a day to day basis.

Cons

Low pay, not very good benefits, low company morale.

Advice to Management

Learn some ethics

9. "A good exeperiance"

Former Employee - Data Network Analyst in Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Data Network Analyst in Richland, WA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a large variety of work available in a multitude of industries. A very strong sense of team work, like a second family. Supported education goals and while expected to work when work was needed, also supported the need for time off and a work/life balance.

Cons

It is challenging to get a promotion along with a raise. A lot of "latteral" moves, with more responsibility.

"Work there for a few years to get some experience, then move on to greener pastures."

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Richland, WA

Pros

Lockheed has very mature Dev, Test, and Production operation processes, and well-enforced operation policies, which leads to a nice, stable environment.

Lockheed also supports and frequently wins new government and commercial contracts, so you'll get experience supporting a variety of different agencies & industries.

Technical leadership is strong - at least in terms of familiarity with existing contract support.

Cons

They're extremely cheap. No bonuses, and the below-average raises often don't cover the annual cost-of-living increase OR the increased costs employees pay for their "benefits". This is partially a result of being a government contractor, where income is somewhat fixed.

Uncertainty over contract renewals can also be stressful.

Advice to Management

Hope that someone eventually replaces Linda Gooden...

"Good place to work, Great people, recongnition not the best"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richland, WA

Pros

Work your own hours, working with your own customers. Friendly people, and good benefits. The management is excellent when it comes to letting you work independently. I would say that the teams that I personally work with are some of the greatest people. There is freedom of religion here, making it a great place to work without being uncomfortable. All in all, I would rank Lockheed Martin as being a wonderful work place. There is also opportunity around the country if you were to ever want to transfer or move. This is also one of the great benefits of working for such a company.

Cons

Lower pay scale, not much recognition for accomplishments.

Advice to Management

I would recommend giving more recognition to associates, so to retain them. They should feel they are wanted and appreciated.

Showing 10 of 4,878 reviews