Lockheed Martin Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Marillyn Hewson

1. "Review"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary, Interesting Work, Good Benefits

Cons

You are a contractor, although titled as an employee to pay a lower salary. At the end of projects, employee must find another position, or face automatic layoff. Layoffs are refined/routine to the point of being performed by email.

Advice to Management

Make HR responsible to place employees first, and layoff as a last resort.

2. "Good Luck to the LM Employees that have been sold to another company"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved my job at Lockheed. I was part of many exciting challenges over the years. The last months were very stressful as we knew a lot of people would be laid off over a period of time. I was one of those people, so I really can't give any pros for their current job situation today.

Cons

Dedicating a life-time (over 40 years) to a company and being let go because I did not have a direct charge number to use for two weeks was a real bummer. There were contracts in the works that had jobs that needed my skills, but they were not awarded In time for me and I was laid off.

Advice to Management

I don't blame my immediate manager. He worked very hard to try to find a place for me so I could stay onboard. It was the New Upper Echelon that was brought in to thin the herd. No respect for the employees. Being a widow and still having kids to care for did not matter to them. They didn't want to know how they were affecting people and their lives. Just a new rule they put in place: No work for two weeks don't let the door hit you on the way out. Advice to them: What goes around comes around, Karma will find you. You took a good place to work, and brought it down for your own benefit and greed. Respect for the individual is something of the past. Remember: There is no honey without the worker bees.

3. "Moral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

From 1999 to 2013 the company had a great culture, room for upward mobility

Cons

Poor choice in Program managers which lead to loss of programs that have been maintained by LM for a long time/

5. "Worked there for 16 years"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Make note : regardless of what they say don't ever ever ever report anything. HR and security are NOT your friends. They work for the company the company is their friend. Don't forget it!

"Planner"

Former Employee - Senior Strategic Planner in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Strategic Planner in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity and room for innovation, if you have the ability to move around well enough to find someone interested in your ideas.

Cons

Stodgy old business ways that are more bureaucratic than government and do not appreciate young employees or new thought easily.

"Engineering positions review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time

Pros

The pay is a little under the average for similar employers in the Washington, DC metro area

Cons

Poor management, no investment in our future, only interested in cutting overhead expenses

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your CFO's anus and realize you have to invest in your future and not just cut expenses - work smarter not just cheaper!

"Great Place"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the family oriented company.. The Crystal City location was the best. Many place to eat. A lot of fun activities the company partakes in.

Cons

The ability to work from home wasn't given unless it was an emergency. Room for potential growth wasn't available to everyone.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to do a great hob. Pay attention to employees request. They do all the hard work.

"Wrong Headed Management"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seabrook, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seabrook, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, most coworkers are very professional

Cons

Corporate goals preclude being honest with the customer. Over-promise, under-deliver - because of underbidding as a rule.

Advice to Management

Learn how to staff your contracts, constantly review what is working and what is not - act appropriately.

10. "Paralegal"

Current Contractor - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The name on my resume landed me a better job.

Cons

Low pay and non-responsive managers

Advice to Management

Allow contractors to move to other positions within the company.

"Avoid if you can, going downhill fast!"

Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Discounts on outside companies (but not any better than what is at any other large company)
    -Allow for telecommute

Cons

- Management doesn't care about employees at all. treat you like a cog in a machine that can be replaced easily.
    - Benefits are horrible and defined pension plan is gone and good luck figuring how to do better with 401k.
    - Health insurance is bad and getting worse.
    - No advancement at all. Stuck pretty much where you join. Also pay raises are bad. Give everyone coming in the door a raise but screw over all current employees (treating you like cookie cutter).
    - Don't listen to anything you say unless it is what they want to hear. They will treat you bad to make numbers or work you into the ground so they fail then justify to hire more people after the fail and they have burned you out.
    - Have you work the extra hours (as salary) and then if you don't use in that week you lose the chance to take some of the extra hours banked off later. (Work life balance is not here)
    - Training is non-existent. Fight tooth and nail every year to get any. Even in the cyber security world where you need for professional certs good luck in getting unless you are a buddy.
    - Evals are large company usual 10% outstanding and 80% normal and 10% dirt bag. Every year no matter what. Waste a lot of time for almost no raise and writing up just bunk to not get the bottom 10% (they already know who the favorite is and going to be in top 10%)
    - They only do enough (in cyber security) not to get into trouble. Unless you are the chosen few no chance to actually do anything interesting. Just going thru the motions to make it look good. Never listen to what anyone tells them things are not right. Just wear you down to where you stop saying anything to them about how bad things are.
    - Overall they just don't care about employees and they don't like being told what they are doing wrong. management is just out for themselves and will throw you under the bus in seconds. Any good managers leave as soon as they see how things are going. Employees always feel under the gun that the boss will ride you because they don't like you or won't go with what they want. Company has been going down hill for sometime and seems to be picking up speed. Glad to leave and happy with new company.

Advice to Management

Actually do an exit interview and see why you are losing so many employees. Start to care about your employees as the older people are retiring and no one is going to stay around long the way things are going.
    Realize you actually have to pay market wages and benefits. Thanks for cutting defined pension plan, makes it easier to leave the company.

Showing 36 of 4,869 reviews