Lockheed Martin Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Lockheed Martin Washington DC Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Washington, DC Area

Cons

1. "Great Place, But Always Keep Your Options Open"

Former Employee - Senior Market Research Planner in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Market Research Planner in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, Great Pay, and Great Benefits

Cons

When they want work force reductions and no matter how long you worked for them or how many awards you got from them, it will be a done like a mob hit and you won't see it coming.

2. "Review of Syst Eng"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job, good structure, stable pay, decent benefits

Cons

advancement and movement may not happen easily

3. "Lockheed Martin only cares about Lockheed Martin, not it's employees."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience is good for your resume with regards to company name recognition. Company has many locations, so if you need to move, transferring within the company is at least an option.

Cons

You are on your own if you are working on a contract that expires. Find yourself a new job in the company or get laid off.

"Don't let the image of Lockheed Martin fool you"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Integration Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Integration Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The image of Lockheed Martin is great for the resume. I had the opportunity to travel the world and work on some very meaningful projects. Most of the people I worked with were very bright and I was fortunate to report to some very good first line managers. The tuition reimbursement and training opportunities are note-worthy.

Cons

Constantly hearing about 'affordability' and 'alignment' made me sick. Holiday parties, family picnics, even plastic silverware and coffee are now a thing of the past despite $40B+ yearly profits. Talk about poor financial management and a major hit to employee morale. A lack of growth opportunities if you are not a minority or a female... the executive leadership team made a 180 change to nearly all female in the 8 years I was employed there. Females are absolutely capable of performing any job, but Lockheed Martin took this to an unethical extreme.

Promotions are much more difficult to come by than they should be. I was promoted to a senior systems integration analyst, but was move to Lockheed Martin's SWIFT financial ledger for no legitimate reason. This cost me $15k in yearly salary and a day of vacation each year. It was the final thing that caused me to look for employment elsewhere. Speaking of that, I found a job at an 87% increase in pay, so don't let them keep convincing you that they pay 'competitively'. That 'total value' the speak of is garbage... health insurance premiums are through the roof compared to other employers and the employee out of packet maximums are absurd.

I must also mention that when I left (on good terms with a previous 3 years' rating of '1', which is the highest possible), I was hassled for repayment of the tuition assistance I received. Lockheed Martin also tried to illegally deny my wife health coverage the week after I left (premiums are paid a week in advance), and I had to appeal to them, which I won... although I got a nasty email from the LM service center.

Advice to Management

Give your first line managers more power. Things are over-structured to the point that people are treated like robots and those who are truly able to provide an impact to the company/customer are driven out by a lack of growth opportunities, poor salaries, and a round of 'threatening' layoff nearly every year.

Advice to job seekers: there are so many other companies that treat their employees like true assets. Don't let the image of Lockheed martin fool you into working for them. You're better than that!

6. "Varies based on location"

Former Employee - Project Control Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Control Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers. Boss trusted me to just get the work done without micro-managing but offered any support needed

Cons

Only 10 days PTO per year, occasionally worked late due to management's poor planning. Experience depends on location and client as there is a surprising amount of variability between locations depending on the local management team and the work being done.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees

7. "Finance and Business Operations"

Former Employee - Contracts Negotiator Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contracts Negotiator Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was in the finance group, first in the Finance Leadership Development Program and then on to other roles within the F&BO org. Generally worked with great people, supportive managers and ethical leadership. Had one issue with a team leader who created an ethical issue, but it was addressed quickly, thoroughly and adequately. LM is an industry leader and a solid company.

Cons

Getting recognition for your accomplishments can be a challenge. You have to know when to be the squeaky wheel. The performance recognition system is very formulaic and it can take some practice to make the system work for you. Also, even if you are at the top of your game performance wise, pay raises are very modest.

Advice to Management

Continue working on improving your performance measurement, feedback and compensation system. There's not enough differentiation between an average performer and the top performers in terms of pay increases.

8. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Editor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Editor in Arlington, VA

Pros

Coworkers were smart, great team players

Cons

Salary, time off was a bit short, but comparable to industry

9. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid every Friday and have every other Friday off. They have great networking opportunities and great Employee resource groups. if you work hard you can find great mentors who will advocate for you in close door meetings. There are tons of job openings and depending on what group you are in transferring can be easy and recommended by management.

Cons

The great leadership is not all around the company. They have great personal development resources for employees but they are not marketed enough.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at letting employees know what personal development resources are available and make sure all management is taught the benefit of allowing people to move around in different groups.

10. "Typical Large Company, Your Just a Number"

Former Contractor - Computer Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Computer Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate manager and his boss were extremely supportive. They had my back 100%. They did what they could to help me grow in my career but still had limitations due to upper management. Also, Lockheed does have excellent branding which helps with your next jobs. I received a 40% salary increase at the next company.

Cons

Very cheap company. Hardly ever paid for any training or IT certifications that was related to the field. They would only pay if the agency demanded it to fulfill contractual requirements. They make you work HARD, often 10-12 hours per day since I was doing the job of 3 people due employees leaving and not being replaced. Of course when I quit soon after they hired 5 people to do what I was doing for 1.5 years. Basically, they will take advantage of you. Also, there is terrible company morale/culture. Everyone is sad and wishes they were elsewhere besides upper upper management whom get to work only 40 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Help employees with growing and getting all the top IT certifications. This is why so many people end up staying at companies like Deloitte for many years.

11. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and fun people

Cons

Very political and work is not function specific. wear many hats.

Showing 574 of 4,816 reviews