Lockheed Martin Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

Washington, DC Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Cyber Security Sales Executive"

Former Contractor - Cyber Security Sales Executive in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Contractor - Cyber Security Sales Executive in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to launch Lockheed Martin's Cyber Security launch into the commercial marketplace

Cons

Lockheed Martin is excellent at providing software development services, but does not understand how to productize software. Every commercial sales is look upon as a new service sales as opposed to leveraging software products.

Advice to Management

Need to understand that selling to the commercial marketplace is completely different than selling to their traditional government market.

2. "Little Design, Much Integration"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

9/80 Work schedule (every other Friday off), flexible hours. There is some technically challenging work to be had, but there is also competition to get those assignments.

Cons

Vast amount of monotonous design-entry work keeps many younger engineers underutilized. Limited path for advancement unless you leave engineering and become some sort of manager (either line manager or project / program manager).

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for technical people to advance while staying technical.

3. "Good company but changing climate"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and job stability

Cons

Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Work to understand the employees and improve morale

4. "Meh"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, Good entry-level position to learn from.

Cons

Pay, Pay, Pay, Low raises every year. Very low incentive to stay. People are nice, but management sets unrealistic goals. Hard to move up without leaving then coming back.

5. "Business Development Intern"

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA

Pros

Great bosses, pay and insight to the overall corporation.

Cons

Wouldn't hire before I graduated- Experience should count as much as education. Bosses fought for me to stay to make money during my school year. Corporation wouldn't allow it.

Advice to Management

Let interns work throughout the school year.

6. "Great Place, But Always Keep Your Options Open"

Former Employee - Senior Market Research Planner in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Market Research Planner in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, Great Pay, and Great Benefits

Cons

When they want work force reductions and no matter how long you worked for them or how many awards you got from them, it will be a done like a mob hit and you won't see it coming.

7. "Review of Syst Eng"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job, good structure, stable pay, decent benefits

Cons

advancement and movement may not happen easily

8. "Lockheed Martin only cares about Lockheed Martin, not it's employees."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience is good for your resume with regards to company name recognition. Company has many locations, so if you need to move, transferring within the company is at least an option.

Cons

You are on your own if you are working on a contract that expires. Find yourself a new job in the company or get laid off.

"Don't let the image of Lockheed Martin fool you"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Integration Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Integration Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The image of Lockheed Martin is great for the resume. I had the opportunity to travel the world and work on some very meaningful projects. Most of the people I worked with were very bright and I was fortunate to report to some very good first line managers. The tuition reimbursement and training opportunities are note-worthy.

Cons

Constantly hearing about 'affordability' and 'alignment' made me sick. Holiday parties, family picnics, even plastic silverware and coffee are now a thing of the past despite $40B+ yearly profits. Talk about poor financial management and a major hit to employee morale. A lack of growth opportunities if you are not a minority or a female... the executive leadership team made a 180 change to nearly all female in the 8 years I was employed there. Females are absolutely capable of performing any job, but Lockheed Martin took this to an unethical extreme.

Promotions are much more difficult to come by than they should be. I was promoted to a senior systems integration analyst, but was move to Lockheed Martin's SWIFT financial ledger for no legitimate reason. This cost me $15k in yearly salary and a day of vacation each year. It was the final thing that caused me to look for employment elsewhere. Speaking of that, I found a job at an 87% increase in pay, so don't let them keep convincing you that they pay 'competitively'. That 'total value' the speak of is garbage... health insurance premiums are through the roof compared to other employers and the employee out of packet maximums are absurd.

I must also mention that when I left (on good terms with a previous 3 years' rating of '1', which is the highest possible), I was hassled for repayment of the tuition assistance I received. Lockheed Martin also tried to illegally deny my wife health coverage the week after I left (premiums are paid a week in advance), and I had to appeal to them, which I won... although I got a nasty email from the LM service center.

Advice to Management

Give your first line managers more power. Things are over-structured to the point that people are treated like robots and those who are truly able to provide an impact to the company/customer are driven out by a lack of growth opportunities, poor salaries, and a round of 'threatening' layoff nearly every year.

Advice to job seekers: there are so many other companies that treat their employees like true assets. Don't let the image of Lockheed martin fool you into working for them. You're better than that!

10. "Varies based on location"

Former Employee - Project Control Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Control Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers. Boss trusted me to just get the work done without micro-managing but offered any support needed

Cons

Only 10 days PTO per year, occasionally worked late due to management's poor planning. Experience depends on location and client as there is a surprising amount of variability between locations depending on the local management team and the work being done.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees

Showing 589 of 5,215 reviews