Lockheed Martin Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

4.2
Lockheed Martin President and CEO James D. Taiclet
James D. Taiclet
Pros
  • "Great work life balance, bright people(in 642 reviews)

• "Good benefits, above average pay(in 419 reviews)

• Cons
  • "large company/organization can make design process slow(in 188 reviews)

• "work life balance depends on department(in 141 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Lockheed Martin and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great place to start and end your career

Jan 19, 2021 - Contracts Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience upfront, impressive as a first job out of college. Great place to end your career, excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Growth opportunity and cutting edge/competitive experience not here after initial learning curve (not transferable to other companies really)

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company with good benefits

Jan 16, 2021 - Associate Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Diverse work and project opportunities allow for you to never stagnate or be bored and to continue building skills and interact with different people and build relations. People have complained about HDDP, but I'm finding that I hit the out of pocket max after 4 months (I pay for the max plan). Good work life balance; I plan my weeks really well and focus really hard and have never had to work overtime.

Cons

I started my job the week covid shut down my city, so I've had a hard time getting to know coworkers and have been mostly working remotely. That said, people don't seem to want to talk or share anything about themselves and it's been hard building a work community or getting to know anyone. It's a pretty lonely job overall. Thankfully, I have an amazing manager who really listens and helps me as much as he can. Salary should be more for the area. Lack of diversity among the team.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to be!

Jan 17, 2021 - Software Engineer in Littleton, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Super flexible work schedule * Transition(ing) to 4/10s so work life balance on work days isn't the best, but every long weekend is really nice! Though I imagine it'd be more difficult with a family. * Overall not a lot of stress, and you can really get out of work what you put in (whether that means you coast in your position for years or push through radical business transformations) * Plenty of room to make improvements/drive change if you want to

Cons

* Pay is generally below market * You can clearly see the 80/20 principle at work in a lot of areas... * If you're driven to make change/impact there is a lot of bureaucracy, though it's possible to cut through, it's not easy * Depending on your overall org management generally gives a lot of lip service often without much to back it up * The talent density on most teams is pretty sparse. There are some rock star teams and definitely some rock star people, but they're few and far between. * Most managers aren't really technical, so they really have no idea what you're doing/how to judge your work, and as a result, how much of a merit increase you should get. Ultimately, this creates a culture (at least partially) where many people just try to seem important/busy, the old don't do anything all day, but send an email at 9pm makes it look like you're working late into the night trick.

4. 4.0

Flexible Company with Exciting Missions

Nov 16, 2020 - Software Engineering Manager in Boulder, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission(s) can be extraordinary. LM is very flexible and people focused. You get out what you put in--if you want to excel and grow, you always have the room to do that. There are so many opportunities and different growth paths. Truly something for everyone.

Cons

YMMV on flexibility as it will depend heavily on your direct line leadership and specific program culture. However, general LM policies give a lot of great options for employees. Culture around the company can vary significantly from program to program. This includes everything from growth opportunities to recognition and work life balance to team interactions. Funding is very rigid and implementation of new innovations / technologies is typically slow (similar to healthcare, often there are many regulations to keep in compliance due to risk of life and risk of security breaches). If you aren't driving your growth, it isn't likely to happen in most areas. There is no common set up path for training and growth. You have to be proactive here; when you are, there are numerous resources and people that are more than happy to help you once you ask.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

My thoughts

Sep 22, 2020 - Software Engineer Manager in King of Prussia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at LM for 16 years now and I will have to say that they are extremely ethical and care more about their employees than their bottom line. Maybe not surprisingly, it seems to help our bottom line more than anything. Now I can only speak to my experience, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at LM. I've had some managers who weren't the most involved in my career, but they definitely cared about me and treating me fairly. We also get to work on the coolest missions. The salary/benefits seems to be very competitive when I talk to my family/friends/neighbors. Work life balance has been awesome for me. I've been able to flex my schedule and work from home when needed.

Cons

Classified programs mean you can't work from home very much. It's a big company, so there are chances you can get missed depending on your local organization.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0

Great career so far

Jan 24, 2021 - Quality Engineer Staff in Littleton, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is huge and I have moved a couple times. Tons of opportunity. Promote work life balance, great about bringing up diversity in the wokplace, and strong values. Very exciting projects to work on!

Cons

It is like a big, slow moving train. Change is sometimes difficult and there is some bureaucracy to deal with. Leadership promotes innovation and change but it is taking time to trickle down. Sometimes resource constricted to achieve succeess.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid

Jan 9, 2021 - Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on cool stuff, further education, generous pto, flex-time, work life balance, 9/80 or 4/10 schedule.

Cons

Just bc I have a good experience doesn’t mean everyone does. Some programs/positions are very slow moving, some are very fast paced. Some programs are made of older guys and gals who have been doing the same thing for decades, some are made of mostly fresh-outs. If you’re not in the right fit it’s tough

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This is the best company to work for

Jan 10, 2021 - Associate Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, bright people

Cons

Health insurance plan is designed for people who make a lot of money

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Jan 11, 2021 - Financial Analyst Associate in Grand Prairie, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- people - work life balance - benefits

Cons

- location - work life balance depends on department

10. 5.0
      Former Intern

Fantastic Experience!

Nov 9, 2020 - Quality Engineering Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, mission, and competitive pay! They also automatically consider you for returning offers (both another internship or full-time if you are graduating by the next year). The work-life balance is a priority (every other Friday off! and some teams even do every Friday off).

Cons

Since it is a huge company, things can be slow at times. Consistency is difficult and getting answers to questions takes a while which can slow your project's progress.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 776 Reviews