Lockton Companies Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

2.6
Lockton Companies President/Chief Executive Officer Ron Lockton
Ron Lockton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Superb work/life balance and much growth opportunity (in 20 reviews)

• This a great company that has an admirable company culture (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance isn't very favorable once you climb the positional ladder (in 37 reviews)

• Low Pay, Long Hours, Unreasonable timelines (in 14 reviews)

"Great Culture Lousy Pay"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Lockton culture is a learning culture. The competitiveness that they invite by encouraging a culture of ideas and learning is a real positive one. The camaraderie and comfort I have had with my co workers and the ability to know I can use them for a knowledgeable answer that I may not have shows also a great team work environment.

Cons

The pay is pretty bad, based on my market value and what people with my job title get paid. I am between 14 to 22% underpaid.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming it only on a generational gap and come to the realization how much things have changed in 20 years.

"Overwhelmed"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time

Pros

You are able to work on a lot of interesting clients who value the work that you do. Co-workers are generally great people to work with, and have a true sense of caring for each other. Benefits for the most part are generous compared to competitors.

Cons

If you aren't a producer, you are a nobody. The company likes to show how much they are growing, yet wages aren't growing at same rate, employee count isn't growing at same rate, and reinvestment isn't happening into the business. Support teams are working long hours and sacrificing work life balance, only to make the producers more money.

Very political in which people are very protective with their "kingdom", and love to throw others under the bus, not share info, not collaborate, etc to protect their own interest.

No diversity at all.

Advice to Management

To attract and retain the best employees, the company will need to recognize that a completely producer driven model isn't sustainable without constant churn of employees. The executive committee needs to include more individuals from the agency side.

Company almost need to slow down a little to address issues, polish work products, invest in IT, and formalize processes before taking step forward.

"Some much potential with zero follow through"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Manager and team are incredibly knowledgeable. Culture and volunteer opportunities are second to none. 401k is the best out there.

Cons

Income and bonus inequality between department and unfulfilled promises make for unmet expectations and high turnover. They will lure you in with false promises and then guilt/shame you into staying until you leave in tears.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring with promises of job duties/responsibilities you don't plan to actually give. Many of us were told the position would be going remote and haven't. That there was upward mobility- there isn't. That bonuses would make up for low pay-they don't. Unless you work in Construction- you won't get recognition or pay and we see qualified workers leave for better paying opportunities with growth potential everyday. Stop complaining about training people for them to leave. Start incentivizing them to stay

"It's Okay for Now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a "work hard, play hard" culture. They like to socialize with weekly Beer Fridays and company events. Training, upward movement, and staying for the long haul is encouraged. The health plan is good if you like a very low monthly premium (approx $40 per month) with a high deductible plan.

Cons

As much as I like the laid back culture, it does have it's faults. Adequate, living pay seems to be substituted with Beer Friday's, etc. I signed up to work for money, not food and beer. I have a college degree and 5+ years in a corporate environment, but Lockton does not pay me enough to be able to live without roommates and I'm a stingy spender with no debt. I have felt pressured to work off-the-clock, unpaid hours. The work load gets ridiculous and there is no relief or sympathy. The health benefits package is great at first glance, with the ability to lower your premium to as low as approx $20/pay period. However, they only offer a high deductible plan. The prescription benefits are poor as the plan does not recognize all generics and so you pay higher cost. Lastly, I could probably count on one or two hands the number of non-hispanic minority employees. Although there are several high ranking women, it is in general a white, Republican, good ol' boys type of company in the higher ranks.

Advice to Management

Pay all employees a decent living wage--you can only entice employees with free beer for so long before they finish their training and development and leave for a company who will pay them not only a real living wage, but will pay them their worth.

"Communications Specialist"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits. Decent pay.

Cons

The "Communications" department is really a Word Processing department. This job requires you to silently work at a desk all day and make redline corrections to unexciting insurance materials with very rare positive human interaction. There is absolutely no upward mobility available in this department. They only give raises once a year, and it is a very menial raise. You are constantly working under tight deadlines, as they understaff the department, and people are not often friendly whilst their projects are in the process of completion. The manager does nothing to make the job fun or even bearable. You are treated like an emotionless, thoughtless robot for the most part. This is not a job for anyone with actual ideas or aspirations. I got catfished into this position - they really sell it as something it is not. I stayed for the pay and benefits but found out after two years of no professional or personal growth, that it was a mistake to do so.

6. "Employee Benefits Account Administrator"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 401(k) match, maternity/paternity leave policy, company culture is very social

Cons

Very old school when it comes to working remotely. You now must be a Senior Account Manager in order to work remote (maybe) one day per month. A lot of pressure is put on perfection and competition for advancement is fierce.

Advice to Management

Create flexibility with remote policy.

7. "Lcokton"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lockton is a great place to work. Great culture. Great people. It's fast and furious but rewarding.

Cons

You can get overloaded with work and accounts. Not sure if the pay is comparable to others in the industry. That's why I'm filling this out to find out.

Advice to Management

I would pay me more money. That's why I'm Filling this out. I need a benchmark on salaries.

8. "Lockton"

Current Employee - Colorado in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Colorado in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, client focused, fast paced, career development opportunities, thought leadership, creative, ever evolving, great platform for experienced insurance producer

Cons

Internal conflicts arising from competition within offices, turnover of account teams, alignment of values and business practices often overlooked in desire to close new accounts

9. "Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Account Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, good senior management.

Cons

Insurance in general is a tenure based business, not necessarily merit based.

10. "Injury Counselor"

Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great company, competitive, great managers, professional atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes heavy on work load, other times not enough to do. Still there are opportunities to work on projects and classes when not as much to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!