Lockton Companies Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau
John L. Lumelleau

Pros
  • Lockton really does its best to make sure you have a happy work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great company that is growing very fast - lots of opportunity internally (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Not great for social side or work life balance issues (in 29 reviews)

• low pay, can be a lot of work but fun (in 14 reviews)

"Some much potential with zero follow through"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Manager and team are incredibly knowledgeable. Culture and volunteer opportunities are second to none. 401k is the best out there.

Cons

Income and bonus inequality between department and unfulfilled promises make for unmet expectations and high turnover. They will lure you in with false promises and then guilt/shame you into staying until you leave in tears.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring with promises of job duties/responsibilities you don't plan to actually give. Many of us were told the position would be going remote and haven't. That there was upward mobility- there isn't. That bonuses would make up for low pay-they don't. Unless you work in Construction- you won't get recognition or pay and we see qualified workers leave for better paying opportunities with growth potential everyday. Stop complaining about training people for them to leave. Start incentivizing them to stay

"It's Okay for Now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a "work hard, play hard" culture. They like to socialize with weekly Beer Fridays and company events. Training, upward movement, and staying for the long haul is encouraged. The health plan is good if you like a very low monthly premium (approx $40 per month) with a high deductible plan.

Cons

As much as I like the laid back culture, it does have it's faults. Adequate, living pay seems to be substituted with Beer Friday's, etc. I signed up to work for money, not food and beer. I have a college degree and 5+ years in a corporate environment, but Lockton does not pay me enough to be able to live without roommates and I'm a stingy spender with no debt. I have felt pressured to work off-the-clock, unpaid hours. The work load gets ridiculous and there is no relief or sympathy. The health benefits package is great at first glance, with the ability to lower your premium to as low as approx $20/pay period. However, they only offer a high deductible plan. The prescription benefits are poor as the plan does not recognize all generics and so you pay higher cost. Lastly, I could probably count on one or two hands the number of non-hispanic minority employees. Although there are several high ranking women, it is in general a white, Republican, good ol' boys type of company in the higher ranks.

Advice to Management

Pay all employees a decent living wage--you can only entice employees with free beer for so long before they finish their training and development and leave for a company who will pay them not only a real living wage, but will pay them their worth.

"Communications Specialist"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits. Decent pay.

Cons

The "Communications" department is really a Word Processing department. This job requires you to silently work at a desk all day and make redline corrections to unexciting insurance materials with very rare positive human interaction. There is absolutely no upward mobility available in this department. They only give raises once a year, and it is a very menial raise. You are constantly working under tight deadlines, as they understaff the department, and people are not often friendly whilst their projects are in the process of completion. The manager does nothing to make the job fun or even bearable. You are treated like an emotionless, thoughtless robot for the most part. This is not a job for anyone with actual ideas or aspirations. I got catfished into this position - they really sell it as something it is not. I stayed for the pay and benefits but found out after two years of no professional or personal growth, that it was a mistake to do so.

5. "Employee Benefits Account Administrator"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 401(k) match, maternity/paternity leave policy, company culture is very social

Cons

Very old school when it comes to working remotely. You now must be a Senior Account Manager in order to work remote (maybe) one day per month. A lot of pressure is put on perfection and competition for advancement is fierce.

Advice to Management

Create flexibility with remote policy.

6. "Lcokton"

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lockton is a great place to work. Great culture. Great people. It's fast and furious but rewarding.

Cons

You can get overloaded with work and accounts. Not sure if the pay is comparable to others in the industry. That's why I'm filling this out to find out.

Advice to Management

I would pay me more money. That's why I'm Filling this out. I need a benchmark on salaries.

7. "Lockton"

Current Employee - Colorado in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Colorado in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, client focused, fast paced, career development opportunities, thought leadership, creative, ever evolving, great platform for experienced insurance producer

Cons

Internal conflicts arising from competition within offices, turnover of account teams, alignment of values and business practices often overlooked in desire to close new accounts

8. "Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Account Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, good senior management.

Cons

Insurance in general is a tenure based business, not necessarily merit based.

9. "Injury Counselor"

Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great company, competitive, great managers, professional atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes heavy on work load, other times not enough to do. Still there are opportunities to work on projects and classes when not as much to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- provide training
    - promote from within
    - regular reviews/pay increases
    - great company culture

Working for this company has been a great experience. Even with no prior experience in commercial insurance, Lockton not only trains their employees but they also cover the cost of classes related to insurance designations through the Institutes, as well as providing their own continuing education classes.

Office culture is great, no micromanaging (at least from what I have experienced). Beer Fridays every week where employees are encouraged to relax and socialize. Competitive benefits and no problems getting time off. The Denver office has around 300 employees and turnover rate is fairly low. If anything, they are growing rapidly.

Cons

Learning the internal systems can be challenging, but associates are more than willing to help.

"Must be extremely hard working and love fast paced environments to make it here"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Team environment (mostly at the AM/AA level), good 401k, good (and getting better) internal resources (word processing services, office services, educational opportunities etc), onsite gym, covered parking, Highly committed to community involvement. Truly believes in delivering superior service and doing the right thing for both their markets and clients.

Cons

"High Level" associates who haven't come up the ranks unfortunately do not seem to know or understand what it takes to service accounts (from both a technical and operational perspective) which can be a burden to their fellow associates who have to pick up their slack. Staffing levels not adequate given that most accounts are being marketed annually, although it is admittedly difficult to find the right talent at certain levels. Commission compensation to individual producers seems excessive compared to base salaries of those managing their accounts. Internal certificate management system seems archaic.

Advice to Management

Require "High Level" Senior Vice Presidents and Account Executives to have an understanding of internal systems, policies and procedures, and continue to improve internal educational opportunities for all. This can only happen if you adequately staff so that accounts can be handled to allow for some breathing room. License AMs. Prequalify clients so as not to waste resources on accounts better suited for a smaller agency.