Loft9 Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
EDWARD BEALS, MARK BIRZELL

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing place to work!"

I worked at Loft9 Consulting full-time

Pros

I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work at Loft9 - it's one of the best career decisions I've made. I wouldn’t be where I am today or have the marketable skills I have if not for the opportunities and mentoring support provided to me at Loft9.

Cons

I had such a great experience there - any cons are far outweighed by the pros.

Sep 5, 2017 – Founding Partner

Thank you for the amazing review. We have a strong commitment to personal development, connection and culture. We are glad to hear that our coaching and mentoring were of value to you and hope that... More

2. "Loft9 Consulting Review"

I worked at Loft9 Consulting full-time

Pros

The HR and recruiting team was very helpful and responsive. The company hosted quite a few happy hours and other events to get to know co-workers as well as chat with company leadership which was great.

Cons

I would have appreciated a formal written job description and detailed explanation of what the contract entailed (i.e. if it was a managed service and what that meant, especially being a first time contractor).

Advice to Management

I would suggest assigning an appropriate co-development partner to any new hires right off the bat and have regular check-ins with this person to ensure success.

Sep 5, 2017 – Founding Partner

Thank you for your review, we appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that you valued our HR team’s efforts. They work tirelessly to see that our associates have... More

"Refreshing Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Loft9 Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Loft9 Consulting because of the positive culture and focus on professional development. It is truly refreshing to be a part of an organization that values its people in genuine and tangible ways. I appreciate that Loft9 allows their associates to take control of their own development, while providing a robust professional development framework. The Loft9 culture promotes collaboration, not competition, and therefore our associates seek our ways to support each other. Glad to have landed at Loft9 Consulting!

Cons

None to speak of. Keep attracting top talent and focus on thoughtful growth.

Jun 19, 2017 – Founding Partner

Wow, thank you for the great review. We are glad to hear that our culture is refreshing. You’ve probably heard that we want to ensure we are fully aligned with the needs of our clients and... More

4. "Just another staffing company"

I worked at Loft9 Consulting full-time

Pros

If you're looking for a contract type of "gig" but with full time employee benefits, this might be a good fit for you (assuming they find you a "role" or you don't get paid till then). Go in with your eyes open.

Cons

They seemed to be struggling to find new business the last I interacted with them. Take their spiel about "company values" with a pinch of salt. Immature leadership.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves.

May 23, 2017 – Founding Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. It seems you didn’t have a great experience and for that we apologize. We’ve heard from our associates and our clients that our delivery model... More

5. "Expect lower than market compensation"

I worked at Loft9 Consulting full-time

Pros

When things are going good, you will be taken care of and treated as part of a flourishing organization.

Cons

Silos of information, employee ideas used without crediting contributors. Green managers put in charge of services, dooming them to fail because their drive to leave their mark outweighs their experience.

Compensation is lower than their competitors, with little show for the difference

Advice to Management

Leverage your resources more constructively and ensure your value of feedback isn't selective.

Mar 1, 2017 – Founding Partner

Thank you for posting a review and for taking the time to share your perspectives. We strive to take care of all our associates as well as our clients. As noted here and elsewhere we have seen some... More

"Great place to work! Smart and driven people with an entrepreneurial vibe."

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Loft9 Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! They have full benefits medical/dental/vision, 401K and yearly performance bonus.

Cons

As most consulting jobs are concerned, the work can be temporary.

Mar 1, 2017 – Founding Partner

Thank you for the great review! I loved the heading you used – ‘smart’ and ‘driven’ are the two qualities that we feel best describe our fantastic Loft9 associates. We’re happy that you’re enjoying... More

7. "Great place to work , but going through changes"

I have been working at Loft9 Consulting full-time

Pros

Loft9 is a fun place to be as a consultant, their focus on building connections among their associates has made an enjoyable environment where people value learning from each other. Considering most of us work on client sites independent of each other, this goes a long way towards employee satisfaction. The majority of associates are fun and friendly people to be around. They also keep a heavy focus on work/life balance, virtually all their roles are 40 hours per week max.

The leadership is great, they have an open door policy and any firm member can walk into a partner's office and strike up a conversation. They seem genuinely interested in what the associates have to say, and do what they can to improve the employee experience. The directors and engagement managers are all friendly and supportive.

When Loft9 was a newer firm, they focused on hiring people that were fun and "scrappy" (for lack of a better term), yet more towards the early part of their careers. This resulted in a great culture of associates wanting to learn and advance both internally and externally, and were willing to trade some pay and benefits for this environment. As the organization has matured, this culture has as well. There's less of a focus on learning and connecting and more of a focus on selling and growing the business. Companies need to adapt as they mature so this isn't a bad thing, but it does take away some of Loft9's uniqueness. They are becoming much more like the other consulting firms in the area.

Cons

While the pay has improved in the last year, it's still below market norms in the Seattle area and benefits have been reduced. While there are some great roles that come along occasionally, it can be difficult to get matched with a role that fits with your goals and if you're not willing to take the first thing that comes along, be prepared to spend significant time unstaffed (and the bench is a very despondent place to be).

As of late there seems to be a much higher priority placed on sales and growth than learning and culture. You will be heavily pressured to work with the BD team to leverage your network and find opportunities for new roles.

Bonuses are a flat fee for taking on internal roles and selling new work rather than on performance (as are promotions).

Advice to Management

Loft9 is changing as it grows and that's a good thing. We all want to be staffed in great roles that challenge us and grow our careers, so we understand the heavy focus on growth. However, many of us joined Loft9 for it's culture, so it would be nice to see some emphasis placed on that as it changes along with the company.

Mar 1, 2017 – Founding Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts – both positive and constructive – with us. Your remarks related to our collaborative culture, open communication and focus on development were... More

8. "Great place to launch or continue a consulting career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Loft9 Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very supportive and the company culture encourages interactions between the employees. Since it is a small company there are also a ton of opportunities to fill in doing different tasks while developing and growing new skill sets. Also, they listen when it comes to trying to match with you the right customer. Even though all the initial customers I was put in front of were great, all of the engagement managers were asking me if I felt like the customer was a good fit and they didn't want to put me in a role that I might not like or be challenged by.

Cons

They are still building out their customer base, so the numbers of customers and projects can be limited at times. Also, you do have to be self-driven, no one is going to really push you to grow if you don't show interest.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing when it comes to culture. I would love to see you taking a different approach to sales and instead of trying to sell start including people on the bench to start consulting for these customers and showing them some immediate value.

Nov 23, 2016 – Founding Partner

Wow! Thanks for the great review! At Loft9, we strive to make sure that each Associate has a positive experience with the firm. Proper placement in each engagement is a critical part of this, and... More

9. "Great Company...Great People"

Pros

- Leadership actively listens and constantly seeks feedback from associates.
    - The organization is invested in developing their associates.
    - Super collaborative environment. People make themselves available to help and answer any question that may come up regarding client work or internal questions.
    - Very smart and experienced associates.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Organization empowers associates to develop themselves.

Cons

- Because of the nature of consulting work (at client sites), it is harder (not impossible) to develop relationships with co-workers.
    - Still a small company so the benefits may not be as good as larger organizations.

Oct 19, 2016 – Founding Partner

Thanks for the great review! I’m pleased that your experience as an Associate has been positive. Collaboration is cornerstone to who we are and we love hearing when we’ve gotten it right. As you... More

"My Best Career Move"

I have been working at Loft9 Consulting full-time

Pros

Loft9 is full of smart, talented folks that genuinely want to help each other grow in their careers, provide amazing client delivery and have fun as a team. At Loft9, you're treated as family.

Cons

I believe in constructive criticism, but I really don't have any to provide to the firm at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent - it allows the team to help solve challenges and provide ideas as we continue to evolve and expand our market share.

Sep 25, 2016 – Founding Partner

Pleased to see you already feel that you’re part of the “Loft9 family”. It’s been an exciting year for the firm and we’re very happy with the continued enthusiasm that our Associates demonstrate on... More