LogMeIn Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
LogMeIn President and CEO Bill Wagner
Bill Wagner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work life balance even in most of the sales departnets (in 13 reviews)

• Great Culture and work environment (in 17 reviews)

"Used to be Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers - we all worked our butts off to try and make the changes/requests we'd receive from management all while trying to keep a positive attitude

Fun atmosphere - young culture which brings energy and fun into all work activities

Ability to travel abroad to different offices multiple times

Cons

Management lacked guidance and strategy - we were often just rushing from one fire drill to the next without really knowing why

Don't understand the value that some of their employees bring to the table - I worked with a lot of very smart people who were undervalued & unappreciated at times

Advice to Management

When I joined LMI in 2014 it was a great place to work, but the last 6-8 months of employment were brutal and exhausting with the lack of strategy, insight and guidance on what we should be doing from a product perspective. Provide your teams with the visibility that you keep promising, but never deliver.

Don't just focus on this years shiny object, there was a lot of wasted budget, time and energy put into things that brought nothing to the table because we were not strategic.

May 10, 2017 – Employer Branding Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. From when you started in 2014, you saw much growth in our Boston office. It is great that you formed strong bonds with your co-workers over... More

"Alluring yet Deceptive"

Former Employee - User Services Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - User Services Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

-Strong training and great training coordinators.
    -Complementary snacks, fruit, coffee, and tea.
    -Beer cart.
    -Foosball and pool table.
    -Awesome, large rooftop deck.
    -Company lunches.
    -Fun yearly kick-off.
    -A relaxed, easy-going office culture. No strict dress code. Shorts and sneakers in the summertime.
    -A very playful atmosphere. 'Work hard, play hard!'

Cons

-Management is unprincipled in their decision-making. I worked for nine months as a contractor, and in spite of my dedication to my work and my performance, I just wasn't getting hired. I was convinced time and again that I would be converted to a permanent position, and I held out for far too long, giving in to their false hopes. It ended up feeling disposed and expended in the end, after some specious decisions regarding policy violation, which also left permanent employees with one-time violations terminated with no verbal or written warning. I find this to be poor judgment on management's part, and should only occur because of a serious violation (assault, harassment, theft, insubordination).

-Consumer ethics are questionable. Product prices were raised 50% with little additional features or value. The BBB is watching.

-Too much gossip.

-Limited advancement opportunities.

-Too large an emphasis on metrics and standings. This promotes a cut-throat (please pay attention, management) atmosphere, with colleagues pitting themselves against each other. Not enough attention is given to development, achievement, accolades, and even conduct. Be more people-oriented, not just numbers-oriented. Praise often given to workers whose standings were not accurate (which could be proven through real-time data that was sorely under-utilized). Metrics are important, but lay off them just a bit.

-The median age of the company is 29. If you're 30+, you may feel like a bit of an outsider, alienated even, due to the lack of life experience and relative maturity levels of younger colleagues. I will say, however, that I made some great friendships with some of the brighter, more mature and insightful young folks I worked with.

-A very siloed organization. Poor communication between marketing, development, sales, finance, and customer care.

-I sensed a bit of favoritism. If you did not fit a certain mold or were not willing to be a sycophant, you would likely be invisible.

-Poor communication. Often there would be little to no adequate preparation for those handling inbound calls once a marketing or product change would go into effect. In some instances, inbound call takers would be aware at the same time, or even after customers were made aware.

-In retrospect, it felt too much like a corporate wolf in 'fun start-up' sheep's clothing. It reminded me too much of Dan Lyons' experience in his book 'Disrupted.'

Advice to Management

-Management: during job interviews for an internal position, do not ask the interviewee for information on a co-worker or their opinion on that co-worker. This is inappropriate.

-Transparency is important. When management appears secretive, there will be little chance for a team's trust to be cultivated. With a lack of transparency, your direct reports will follow your lead, as you lead by example. I think this can and has affected integrity for this particular department.

-Avoid poor choices for leadership roles. It was uncomfortable to see an interim team-lead vocally reprimand co-workers in plain view, and allow non-work appropriate discussions to take place on the floor.

-Give your dedicated, high achievers more recognition for the hard work they do. Sure, free snacks and beer are nice and all, but I feel that these 'perks' are more to appease, to pacify. Expand options beyond gift cards that may take months to receive. How about mentoring, 'Employee of the Month', more announcements showing appreciation? Throw a few more bones here or there. You'd be surprised at how much it can change overall morale.

-Learn to better develop your weak performers, because, more often than not, your weak performers aren't weak because they are inherently incapable. Take into consideration different learning styles, personality types. Not every user services rep can be a GO-GO-GO HEY LOOK AT ME extrovert. Introverts can be your most valuable talent if you pay them some notice.

-Ruminate on diversity and how it may be important.

-Be honest. I said it. Be honest...

Oct 13, 2016

Hello - We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. You addressed some important points that we shared with senior management in that department. They are discussing and raising... More

"Big name company, but doesn't respect its employees"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good company to have on your resume, as they are a fast growing and big name organization. They have cool offices and my peers/coworkers were mostly great.

Cons

I was hired on as a temp at first, with indication of being hired full-time after 6 or so months. 11 months later, they let me go without warning or without reason, and didn't even tell me themselves. As a whole, upper management does not respect its employees here, even though they will tell you over and over how valuable you are to them. Truthfully, it doesn't matter and they will drop you without reason or warning or a second thought. It felt like they just couldn't handle the fast growth of the company. They will also tell you that the career and growth opportunities are endless, although it is next to impossible to move up here.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees; transparency to middle management

Oct 14, 2016

Hello - Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. HR and senior leadership are addressing these matters with immediate urgency.

Jason

"Entry level"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of fun culturally- fun events and work perks - (march madness, beer carts, company lunches, etc). Very good on paper.

Cons

Training was minimal. Even when actively asking for help, nothing was given. Gossip on all employees took a front seat frequently. So unprofessional. Oh, and your snacks don't taste good.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping and maybe try to help your employees succeed. Oh, and stop punishing your top performers. That's why people keep leaving.

Sep 26, 2016

Hello - Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We're happy you enjoyed the events and perks while you were here. We believe formal training is key in setting our employees up for... More

"Used to be a great place to work…"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LogMeIn used to be great. Little by little the company has changed into something completely different than what it used to be. Mike Simon stepping down and Bill Wagner stepping in was a huge disappointment. Definitely good perks at the company like an indoor basketball court, fun company outings, great colleagues, free snacks, cool office. It's better than selling Cutco knives.

Cons

Complete lack of management skills across the board. Managers and Directors are hired based on favoritism. The technology hasn't moved much over the last few years. No real differentiator in the space, and the product team seems to have no understanding of the customer. Still can survive in the SMB space, but absolutely no opportunity in the Enterprise.

If you are looking to make a move here, make sure you are looking at the only innovative technology Xively. Otherwise remote access, remote support, and collaboration have been around forever.

Do NOT apply to be a join.me hunter here, unless you are prepared to be fired if you don't hit your quote for 2 months in a row, or miss 2 out of 3 months in a quarter. It's not a long term career here anymore, it's a stepping stone at best if you are just out of college and they are okay with this type of culture. I don't see how it's attractive to go into a new role knowing 2 months of not hitting quote is a ticket out the door as quickly as you came in, unless they aren't telling you that up front, so do your due diligence and connect on LinkedIn with current employees and try and get the full scoop.

Advice to Management

At a loss for words here. I don't know what to say, and I don't think it matters. If they are listening however, I would say they need to start from the top down. Time for a new SVP, and VP's. New leadership could definitely be a step in the right direction.

"They think the perks will keep you satisfied"

Pros

As a millennial coming into a cool office space with perks like catered lunches (once a month), a beer cart and a gym onsite was pretty sweet. I enjoyed coming to work because of the atmosphere - I liked that everyone had an open work space and the physical environment felt very collaborative. The kickoff trip to Cancun wasn't bad either - except the sales and marketing kickoff was geared towards the sales team and left the marketing team scratching their heads.

Cons

People cannot seem to get over their egos. Everyone is out for themselves, not the collective good. The c-suite and executives were generally likable but middle management was worthless - no clue what was going on day to day nor any interest in figuring it out. People were fired left and right, with no chance to say goodbye or even gather their belongings. One day someone would be there, and the next they wouldn't. No way to treat employees.

Advice to Management

Check your ego at the door. Foster the collaborative environment you claim to. Stop focusing on the little perks here and there and figure out how to actually invest in people.

"Perks Don't Outweigh the Job Itself"

Former Employee - Former Employee in South Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in South Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Foosball Table - Not a perk for me because I don't indulge. However, this is ALL management talks about. "Come enjoy our Foosball table during your break!" Yea, how about no.

Beer Fridays, casual work environment, free snacks, and drinks, free use of the gym.

Location - Architect District. However that can be a con for many people outside of the city.

Cons

Notice how all of my pros had absolutely nothing to do with the job itself. Well because it sucks and I don't understand how people believe all of the hype. The training is worse than your most boring class in college and no one seemed to grasp the concept of hands-on-learning. Why hire a group of contract employees knowing that many of them will leave right after training? That is such a waste of time.

Once you become a full-time employee, the hours are really inconvenient, and you don't have much of an option until you get "promoted."

Also the pay is pretty below average for all that they expect you to do.

I'm not drinking their kool-aid. Free food can only keep me for about a day.

I don't blame this solely on LogMeIn because I know my recruiter could have done a better job at explaining what I was getting into. Again, all she talked about was the perks.

Advice to Management

Train your employees in a way that will actually entice them to do a crappy job. Also, continuously bragging about the free beer and gym isn't the best way to convince someone to try and a have a career at LogMeIn.

8. "Ehh..."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks. Fun activities. Cool products.

Cons

Leadership that simply can't lead
    Salary is low relative to other players in the area
    If you don't drink the cool-aide you're done for

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"not a great sales environment"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at LogMeIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great office space downtown, generous with lunches, snacks, coffee

Cons

new sales management unwilling to learn about the market, meet customers, adopt innovative sales techniques and thinking....all about outbound calls...lazy management

Advice to Management

re-evaluate the comp structure...not competitive in the market

"They don't pay their sales reps"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at LogMeIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment that is built on a foundation of great people which makes the company tolerable.... however it can only last so long.

Cons

Don't expect to pay off a mortgage
    They give their sales reps the lowest wages in the area
    Company down the street already recruited a few of the top reps and others are beginning to target logmein sales reps for jobs

Advice to Management

Pay your employees before they leave for much better pay down the street