LogicBlox Reviews | Glassdoor

LogicBlox Reviews

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Molham Aref

1. "Great people, great flexibility, great vision"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at LogicBlox for almost 5 years, and have been a professional software engineer for 13 years.

LogicBlox is a special company to work for. We offer tough problems to solve, stunning colleagues to work with, and flexible working arrangements.

The work here is deep and fascinating enough to require and attract top-shelf talent both from industry and academia despite not being located in tech hot spots like Silicon Valley or NYC. We tackle big, difficult problems and insist on excellent engineering quality in our platform.

Our company is low drama, low politics, and high flexibility. We have a very flat organization (roughly 96% engineers, 4% G&A / management) with highly committed and down-to-earth management/team leads. We have trust in each other to be responsible stewards for the company, which is what allows us to have a a great remote working policy (half the company works remotely) and an unlimited vacation policy.

We have regular (probably 1 a week on average) talks open to the company either from staff, applicants or academic collaborators which run gamut from demos of ongoing work to internal design proposals to presentations of CS thesis material. Regardless of your background, if you work at LogicBlox you will (forcibly) learn new things all the time and be encouraged to do so.

Cons

For me there aren't cons. For those who prefer more hierarchical organizations, LogicBlox does not offer that. I agree with another reviewer who said that it is required to be comfortable with ambiguity and immature technology. To me that is a plus, because it means there is a lot of opportunity for new employees to have a major impact and try to pitch and implement their ideas.

2. "Fun if you are doing platform development, but application development is horrible"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LogicBlox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work on platform or application development, you'll get to write lots of new code.

Cons

The business is run by inexperienced academics and pie-in-the-sky dreamers. Application developers get no respect and are expected to create robust software based on a buggy, immature platform. Half the company was laid off in 2012, and they just laid off lots more people.

One reason app developers write so much new code is that the application projects usually fail and are thrown away -- no lessons are learned and carried forward, so if you stay long enough, app work feels like a never-ending treadmill.

3. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pound for pound the best team in the world. Working on deep and interesting problems. Strong connections to academia while being grounded in industry

Cons

It takes a while to understand the full picture. Need better training and docs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Smart people; cutting edge technology; ambitious"

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work at a place that's building really innovative technology, where you're very unlikely to be bored, where the process is light and organization is flat, where sales people are almost too good, then this is the place for you.

It's difficult to find a bigger concentration or blend of talent. You got the people with a heavy theoretical bend, working along side people who are solid, practical engineering wizards, along people who can phrase the technology in a way people will money will buy.

It's not free of office drama; but it's unlikely you will find a place that has as little drama as this place.

Cons

It's a place that people who are comfortable with ambiguity will thrive. If you like to know exactly what the roadmap is for the next year and feel irritated when the roadmap changes 3 months into the year, then this is probably not the place for you.

If you are uncomfortable with using immature technology -- supporting immature technology, then this is not the place for you. The company's product is definitely on its way to being a mature one, but by definition of being innovative, it's not there yet.

If you want a clear "career path", e.g. after 2 years you get promoted from senior to principal developer, or from associate consultant to managing consultant, then this is not the place for you. It's a small company that just doesn't have all those type of process in place yet. You need to aggressively going after the skills you want to gain, yourself.

"Sweet gig"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LogicBlox is a really special organization. The people there are incredibly smart, and have
    (mostly) great technical taste. I learn something new from my colleagues almost every day.

Our work includes interesting problems that touch on deep issues in database theory and practice---e.g. efficient incremental maintenance of views and worst-case optimal join algorithms---and core programming languages problems---e.g. module systems and type inference. We're working in a logic programming setting that is new, different, and exciting compared with the standard programming environments. I've been encouraged to pursue academic collaborations and attend conferences.

Cons

We don't have all the fancy perks of Google.

"The company has a great vision but struggles to translate it into a realistic roadmap."

Pros

The company is building its own platform from bottom (database) to top (interesting applications). The potential is obvious, and there are lots of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Strategy has not translated very well into a clear plan. Most employees operate in the dark. Application projects often fail due to changing scope or immature technology.

Advice to Management

The company needs to pay more attention to setting context with employees, setting projects up to succeed. Pay more attention to culture, also -- management needs to respect employees more rather than trying to prove they are smarter than the employees.

7. "Inspirerende werkomgeving en de opwindende toekomst om naar uit te kijken"

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (More than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

LogicBlox neemt de beste mensen aan in hun vakgebied uit de hele wereld en ik ben er trots op om te kunnen samenwerken met ingenieurs van wereldklasse! Er zijn veel (meer dan wekelijks) kennisdelingsessies die u toelaten om bij te blijven met de laatste ontwikkelingen, niet alleen binnen het bedrijf/eigen technologie, maar ook op andere vlakken.

Het bedrijf heeft een sterke visie voor de opbouw van de volgende generatie, een intelligente databank-stichting die "de traditionele barrières tussen transacties en analyses naar beneden haalt en dat kan een gevorderde planning teweegbrengen, een voorspellende analyse en zakelijke logica om het te verwerken in een verenigde, hoge performantie-motor" en het is zeer motiverend om samen te werken met een team die deze visie deelt.

Er is ook een goede transparantie naar de zaken toe, die betrekking heeft op onze missie en me vertrouwen geeft in ons product. De horizontale organisatiestructuur zorgt ervoor dat iedereen, zelfs nieuwe medewerkers, een grote impact hebben op ons bedrijf, omdat ieders ideeën/feedback worden verwelkomd en aangemoedigd.

Omdat de mensen verdeeld zijn over 2 continenten, is er altijd iemand beschikbaar om te helpen of gewoon om plezier te hebben in onze chatrooms.

Ik hou van het feit dat het iedereen iets kan schelen, ze voelen zich verantwoordelijk en willen een verschil maken. Het is echt een inspirerende werkomgeving.

Cons

De technologie is in volle ontwikkeling en dus nog niet volwassen op alle fronten.

Door samen te werken met een aantal collega's is het soms een uitdaging, want er is tot 10 uur tijdsverschil tussen sommige ontwikkelaars. Mensen zijn echter altijd flexibel en proberen dat het iedereen lukt.