Logica Reviews in Leatherhead, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Logica President & CEO Michael E Roach
Michael E Roach

Pros
Cons
  • Low salary in certain areas where market value is higher (in 9 reviews)

• Not many projects in Chennai Centre (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good people and technically first class. Commercially could be better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Pros

Down to earth, good employees. The engineers and technical staff are first rate. Historically innovative and genuinely shapes the way we live.

Cons

Get closer to client decision makers.

Advice to Management

Reward good performance to retain good staff

2. "A once great company gone to the dogs"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Logica full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pension (for now), great people and interesting work

Cons

salary poor compared to competitors, weak management, lack of well defined career progression

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff, demonstrate leadership and sell them a vision they can believe in

"Nice people but no progress or pay increase"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Pros

Nice people
    Some interesting projects but they tend to be slow moving and bureaucratic
    You can work 9-5.30 if you want. Your salary is low enough so you should demand over-time if you work more than your contracted 37.5 hours a week at the junior career levels. Forget over-time if you are senior where you should go work for another company that pays market rates
    Logica still has a good reputation so if you are a graduate work there for a year or two then leave as your salary won't get any better but you would have built up your CV

Cons

Bad performance review system which doesn't recognise talent so star performers leave the company leaving behind all the mediocre staff
    Rotting from the inside as moral is low
    Salary is low and will not increase if you stay at Logica as they don't reward staff for performance
    Big gap between what the CEO's say and what happens on the ground
    People are not proud to work for Logica. They make jokes like calling it 'Bodigca' or "of course I'm poor, I work for Logica"
    Logica can't hire the right staff. Struggle to fill positions on projects while the company is hiring graduates who sit on the bench (no work to do) because they don't have the right skill set e.g. no development skills or can't get SC.
    CEO is very focussed on outsourcing and automated services. He is moving away from what made Logica a great company doing all the bespoke software.
    Strategy is concentrated on reducing costs and increasing productivity. This means lowering salaries.

Advice to Management

Reward and keep your top talent. Drive for success and make people proud to work for Logica. If your staff are not happy how will you win big contracts? Focus on quality employees not on quantity....paying to keep the best will pay dividends in the long run.

4. "Logica's grad scheme was awful"

Former Employee - Developer in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Pros

variety of roles
    talented and hard working colleagues

Cons

slow career progression
    low salaries with a culture of pay freezes
    employees are resources to be used
    short term vision

Advice to Management

value baseline staff more. do not disperse teams to cut short term costs at the expence of long term profitability.

5. "Out at last"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Pros

Logica is a large company so there are a number of projects to work on. Although if you are on the bench it doesn't always seem so

Cons

In a word - management. Of all the companies I've worked for I've never met a group that are so poor at staff managment. Logica are -Feb 2010- about to launch a new catch-phrase "Be Brilliant together ". at the launch a magic wand will be waved and, among other things, managers are supposed to be become inspirational and offer honest feedback. Honest feedback. Logica managers seem just to spout phrases learnt from "Management for Dummies" and love playing games like the silence gaem. The game where if you ask a difficult question and they sit and keep quiet waiting for you to break the silence.

So in summary, if you need a job OK but don't expect to join a compnay with high levels of morale

Advice to Management

To start listening to your employees and stop believing that just because you have been made a manager that you are suddenly all knowing and that no-one below you knows anything. Acyually give honest feedback, stop playing games and you might actually become inspirational

"Terrible for Graduate career opportunities, career advancement and being rewarded. Good benefits + flexibility."

Former Employee - Started As A Graduate Recruit, Progressed to Test Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Pros

I've worked for Logica for almost 6 years, and I would say the positives are a good benefits package, good people to work with in your colleagues, (not your management though) and excellent flexibility on your work in terms of working from home, excellent flexibility in your working hours.

Cons

OK, now the bad stuff. In my experience, Logica is a thankless place to work. I started as a graduate in 2004 and my experience (and the experience of countless other graduates who have all left) is that as a graduate you are not given the opportunities to progress, and there is generally a lack of plan as to your development. Training is also very tough to come by, as there always has to be 'business need'. Even though in theory Logica is a consultancy and you should be moved about, progressed and challenged, most people I know are put on a project and just left there, and even after staying for a number of years, management on that project are loath to let you leave as you are too hard to replace, as you're good at your job and of course you're cheap because you won't be paid well, leaving you doing the same role with no progression and no change in your pay.

The worst thing about Logica is the review process. You have a staff manager who is supposed to be your mentor and the person in charge of your progression, and also in charge of your pay award. But this person is often sitting in an office miles away from you with no idea what you're doing. The review for your entire year is done retrospectively, so your performance / pay award for the whole of 2009 will be reviewed in early 2010, decided in April / May 2010 and actually awarded to you in July 2010. So if you do a really good job in early 2009, you'll get rewarded... 18 months later. Also, there is no contingency for people achieving and reaching a high level quickly. I moved from a tester to a test manager in 2 years and in that time my pay went up by less than 10%, and I received no payrise the year after, when the position I was actually fulfilling (and had been for over 2 years) paid an average of £12k more than I was earning. I stayed patient and explained the situation to my staff manager, and other members of my managament team. Senior management just didn't care to listen to my issues or help me, forcing me into finding a job elsewhere and getting the extra £12k I had been telling them I was worth for over a year.

The lack of training, investment and recognition is also a big downside. The management structure of the company is very vertical, with UK senior management having no idea of who you are and what you do. To get recognised you have to either play the corporate game and brown nose, or be very lucky. Hard work and doing a good job means nothing to anyone. It's all politics. You are supposed to get training and have a development plan, etc... but in my experience, the plan means nothing, and is rarely even completed, and training is something to be fought for, not given openly.

To sum up, Logica is a good place to start as a graduate and get a name on your CV, but if you stay for longer than 2 years you're wasting your time. Your pay won't go up and you won't be invested in, progressed or recognised. If you get brought in at a higher level, you may do well, but as a graduate, the experience of countless graduates (including me) should tell you you're onto a loser here, unless you're lucky. Trust me, I slogged my guts out for over 5 years and received nothing for it. It does have good benefits, good flexibility and nice people, but this won't compensate for you for the fact that you'll be underpaid, overworked and under recognised.

Advice to Management

1. Change the review system so that the person reviewing you has a clue what you're doing and is in a position to grade you fairly.

2. Change the current system of abritrary pay rises and unstructured grades and bring in a grade system so if someone is at a level 3 in their career they are guaranteed a certain level of pay.

3. Logica claims to be 'An investor in people.' Currently it really isn't, bring in a proper training regime so that staff feel invested in and can progress.

4. Change the mentality so that graduates are a resource to be invested in, not dogsbodies to fill holes at a cheap rate.

5. Allow people to move projects a bit more freely and take career paths they are happy with. How many can you take for the team before you wonder what the team is doing for you?

"Good for home working, bad for everything else!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Leatherhead, England (UK)

Pros

If you wan flexibility in terms of work-lfie balance then Logica is for you. Their benefits package also consists of first-time house buyer help and I have heard good things about them.

Cons

If on the other hand you are looking to (ironaically) "release your potential" then dont bother. This firm is hyped up so much its unbelieveable. There are no good projects to work on and hardly anything coming in, yet they want you to join asap as there is "too much work". People are joining and leaving almost a month later. I would leave immediately if I could find anything else. There is lack of communication, no structure and serious cut-backs in place.

Their work conditions are impeccable.

Advice to Management

Respect and pay attention to your staff. New joiners should be treated in the same way as old timers ... but this is not happening. Dont lie to potential employees by telling them you have too much work because you clearly dont! Dont make stingy cut backs on stuff like hotels and fuel, it doesnt help your case in making us stay!