Logos Bible Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not transparent"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people work at logos with talent

Cons

The company is not honest about payment to its employees.There is no HR department to talk about pay discrepancies. Management avoids putting compensation in writing.

Advice to Management

Be open about how you compensate employees in writing.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent coworkers. Open environment where you can talk to almost anyone if they're free. Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Passive aggressive behavior to avoid confrontations. No formal PTO and pressure to not take time off even to avoid bereavement. Very poor work/life balance. Hit or miss team structure or quality. Little inter-team communication. Expensive Healthcare for family.

Advice to Management

Add some formal structure at least with minimum requirements. At least some regular feedback process. Method of reporting poor team leader/ group leader.

"Awesome"

Pros

Great place to intern. Really loved all the kind people and the good environment.

Cons

Did not find much negative.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance is fantastic for the person employed, I've never had this good insurance. The people you work with are amazing and you feel like the company is really for you and willing to work with you.

Cons

Pay is minimal but the experience and skills you learn make up for it. When you take into consideration how much the company pays for insurance on our behalf it also doesn't seem that bad. And if it is a problem, you can always grow higher

Advice to Management

Honor everyone have a voice and when we offer solutions to problems we see, please talk to us like equals and hear us out.

"Great as a Stepping Stone, but Don't Stay Too Long"

Pros

Great place to learn. Simply by working here, in any department, you constantly face new challenges and acquire new skills. You will meet some wonderful people, and live in a beautiful part of the world. You are encouraged to take initiative and use your own brain- this is a rare thing.

Cons

Not always a great place to stay long term. After two or maybe three years you are either getting promoted, or you are not. The people who are only getting minor promotions get increasing responsibility that is far out of proportion to their pay. Don't stay if you are not finding yourself on the upward path. Leave before you become part of the furniture.

"Great product, great people, poor management"

Former Employee - Marketing Team in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Team in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working on the product and enjoyed serving the customers. The bulk of the product is, after all, the Bible and associated literary products (in electronic form). The other aspect of the company product is its proprietary software to access digital stories of electronic books. The software is fantastic and a great aid to research and study, especially of philosophical, humanities, and religious texts. I can’t praise the software enough. And the customers are people I enjoy and have a lot of compassion for: academics, community leaders, pastors, ministers, and students.

As for the work culture, my coworkers and peers were largely awesome. I worked in the marketing department, so there were lots energetic, young people getting lots of marketing stuff done and there were always opportunities for great discussions. The free coffee and espresso was a huge boon, as well as the access to voluminous stores of always cold beverages (I had more than one liquid lunch consisting of a very large glass of free V8 juice!)

Cons

However, the free espresso, colas, and juices are a sop to the workers. Yes, it’s fantastic I don’t have to subsist on water, but what would really make the workplace shine is some sense that management actually cares about individual employees and is willing to help them grow. However (at least on the marketing side of the company), were were told “You should thrive on stress. Stress is an opportunity to rise to a challenge.” This is fine if the stress is merely about workload or a challenging problem. But when the stress is, “Is today the day I’m getting fired?” it’s simply not healthy. You are expected to sing your own PR—constantly—management will not notice, care, or promote you without extensive self-promotion—and there is little regard as to whether your self promotion is at anyone else’s expense.

The marketing department has become extremely heavy: I’ve worked at firms that made 4x the annual revenue with literally 1/4 the marketing staff. The overall marketing strategy seems to be: Flog the whales who buy our product until they die. The old-school marketing blasts always generate revenue… from the same customers. Every. Single. Time. Growing their customer base will require a new kind of long-tail marketing approach that LBS is simply unable to embrace right now.

For a company that markets religious product, it is a remarkably unreligious environment. On one hand, this is good: it means that there’s no bickering over theology or church practice. On the other hand, there was not a single meeting that ever opened or closed in prayer. There was never a sense that the actual Gospel enterprise was ever considered. The dollar is the top line, the bottom line, and everything in between. You would do well to memorize this mantra: What have you earned for me lately? If you work in the marketing side of the company and cannot tie your work directly to a significant dollar figure, you will be let go.

There is very little or no transparency in the termination process. When I was let go, I was given no warning, no opportunity to change any behaviors that were not liked, and I was given no feedback during the exit interview as to what I might have done to offend management. This is also the case for coworkers I know who were also let go summarily.

As an employee, I never felt management valued me, my contributions, or my input.

Finally: You will need to cover your family’s healthcare insurance. Be prepared to deduct $500-$1K from your monthly salary to cover that.

Advice to Management

Your business ecosystem depends on product, customers *and* employees. We give of our time, talent, and energy to help you succeed. Monetary rewards are not the only kinds of compensation that make working for you worth it: Giving us an annual picnic, free beverages, and a trip to the theater now and then are mere sops.

Having a sense of mission and purpose beyond the bottom line of profit (and lining your pockets) would go a long way toward helping us maintain our passion on your behalf.

"Good Company, Expensive City & Healthcare"

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company, it's pretty easy to jump in and understand the culture and company priorities. Expectations are clear and there are tangible metrics and a good amount of feedback whether you're doing your job well or not.

The culture is laid-back and is pretty flexible. I love having unlimited time off, free coffee and drinks etc.

Compensation is fair from my perspective. Very much on par with other companies.

Company seems to be very transparent and the CEO is more than willing to talk to anyone. This is refreshing. I really feel like leadership tries hard to live out it's own values.

Cons

There is a cost to work here; if you have a family you can just assume that you will want to explore alternative healthcare options for your spouse and your kids. To expensive to go through Logos. There are options, we made it work.

The area is pretty expensive too. To live close to work, you'll spend more than 250k for a decent home. If you're willing to live farther out, it's not as bad.

In terms of the company, being a culture that changes rapidly and starts and kills projects fast you'll have to get used to shifting focus constantly. Which for some, it's great. For others it can be overwhelming.

8. "Great People, Great Workplace"

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people working here. They make the job!
    - Unlimited Vacation
    - Flexible work Schedule
    - Awesome workspace
    - Fair compensation
    - Manager is Awesome (In my dept.)
    - Team leaders are Awesome. (In my dept.)
    - Lots of Freedom and Trust
    - Skill level of co-workers is great. (Makes me better at what I do)

Cons

- No health benefits for spouse/children
    - Work content is often boring with bits of excitement.
    - CEO can be a bit harsh with criticism.
    - At times, quantity trumps quality
    - Process for approval is tedious and micro-managed.

9. "At Logos you get to work with amazing people on projects that matter!"

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO is a visionary leader who sets the pace for the company culture (He's like the Steve Jobs of Bible Software). I appreciate how transparent Bob is, I've never worked for a CEO quite like him. His brother is the VP of Marketing who is a brilliant fellow with a wonderfully dry sense of humor and a big heart. I really appreciate these two. All of the managers are also incredible. Needless to say the leadership is sharp and passionate about the work.

There is a great emphasis on company culture with freedom to do great work. Tons of perks like free coffee & soda, an outdoor center with lots of cool stuff, and more.

If you are lucky enough to work on the design team you'll find yourself working with some of the most talented people in the country. Everyday they inspire me and they've been a huge part of my personal and professional growth!

I've never worked somewhere with such awesome people across the board in every department. It's really an incredible.

You get to equip people with powerful tools that make the Word come to life.

Cons

You will work with people who aren't perfect. Crazy huh?

Sometimes the FREE espresso machine will break down and you have to walk over to one of the other buildings that all have FREE espresso machines to get your caffeine fix! ;)

Even though it's a fun work environment it's still work and sometimes you are challenged to work on projects you aren't particularly interested in. It is the same anywhere you work.

I feel that I'm compensated fairly for the most part, I think it's normal to feel like you deserve a raise when you work hard and see successes that bring in decent revenue. At the same time I realize that's what I was hired to do.

Cost of living in Bellingham is high for such a small town.

Advice to Management

Sadly some people will complain, look at the Isrealites while they were being lead out of slavery. Just keep casting the vision. Keep loving people. Keep rewarding hard work. Keep pushing forward as an industry leader.

Give the project managers in marketing some extra special love because they have one of the most challenging jobs in my opinion. They're all amazing!

"Good people working on some boring stuff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time

Pros

There are lots of smart people who work here, and all pretty easy to get along with.

Cons

Over the last couple years I've grown to disagree with the direction the company is going, investing a lot into projects I don't think anyone outside or inside the company will actually use. They feel like pet projects gone awry. I can understand the desire to expand into new markets, but nobody inside the company is excited about these new things.

There is also a meritocracy problem among the development team. Of course, having good performance is good, but Logos seems more interested in developers who live to work rather that work to live. This is probably also related to a problem they have giving good feedback to employees on their performance.

Advice to Management

Stick with what you're good at, and don't burn out developers on projects that nobody is actually interested in working on. Give better feedback on employee performance, don't leave them guessing what the standards are.

Logos Bible Software Response

Oct 3, 2014 – CEO/President

I'm sorry you didn't like the direction -- or that the whole strategy wasn't clear enough. It's true we're working on a lot of projects. We have a big-picture strategy that involves building out a... More