London Borough of Camden Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
London Borough of Camden CEO Mike Cooke
Mike Cooke

1. "LBC"

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall the London Borough of Camden is a great place to work, in my experience all the people I have had contact with have been supportive, I have had access to new technology & training.

Cons

Commuting to work has always been a grim experience.

2. "Camden Council rev"

Pros

Located at the newly developed and highly rated Kings Cross St.Pancras Square area.

Cons

Very low pay for workers, this is especially a problem being that the location is in Zone 1. - Advise, apply if local, not if you travel from outside zone 2 I would say.

3. "Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Camden you get job satisfaction, managers are very supportive of training.

Cons

It can be hard moving to various departments and teams.

Advice to Management

allow more staff work life balance and flexibility

5. "Stagnant enviroment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Distance working saves a lot of time commuting + transport costs. The jobs are good for the unambitious and relatively stable so not much chance of job loss.

Cons

Poor management, lack of focus, no personal or career development, organisation severely hampered by lack of critical thinking. Very passive aggressive culture with no rewards given to top achievers. Pay rises severely limited by job banding and unions so likely to see real term salary cuts due to inflation.

Advice to Management

There is a serious lack of career development available and you will continue to lose the best people to the private sector if this continues. Training and development may be expensive, but ensures your best staff benefit from more than just salary.

"Work culture"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

Pros

Very dynamic and flexible place to work

Cons

None at the moment

Jan 17, 2017 – Resourcing Adviser

Thank you for the positive feedback especially as Camden is working hard to ensure our place of work is diverse and accommodating to all.

7. "Lovely place to work very flexible"

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time

Pros

Very flexible with the ability to work from home regularly allowing you to complete your work within specified deadlines, whilst balancing your personal requirements.

Lovely people, everyone is friendly, accommodating and try to help where they can.

Everyone is hardworking and when held to accountant will complete their work to their best ability.

All the teams i have worked with in order to complete my working tasks were always willing to help, only problem is that for some task no one is sure who exactly is accountable or responsible.

CEO Mike is a lovely person, very friendly and associates with all colleagues regardless of your level, he even sits on the same floor as junior staff members, i found that really refreshing.

Cons

Too much planning and not enough implementation, we tend to plan and then re-plan, it is important to actually get the work done.

Accountability - in some cases it may be difficult to tell who is accountable for a particular process, we must ensure all elements of a process is delegated to an accountable individual to ensure the work is actually done and this must be captured within performance appraisals. (this is been noted and is being improved)

Too segregated - work streams are far to segregated meaning you have to work with many people to get your job done

Pay is far too low in comparison to other local authorities in London.

Staff turnover is extremely high

Advice to Management

Pay should be inline with other London boroughs, might help reduce staff turnover.

Jan 17, 2017 – Resourcing Adviser

Thank you for your feedback. There are some very positive comments here for which we are grateful but equally we welcome the negative. I will be glad to pass on your feedback to management but ... More

8. "Senior Officer / Librarian"

Former Employee - Senior Officer in Camden Town, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Officer in Camden Town, England (UK)

I worked at London Borough of Camden part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of latitude in managment style

Cons

Limited budget responsibility when most of the other responsibilities are devolved.

Advice to Management

Rethink funding pathways

9. "Camden is a great place to work"

Former Employee - Records Administrator
    Former Employee - Records Administrator

I worked at London Borough of Camden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with was great and made working enjoyable.

Cons

I'm not sure there is anything bad I can say about Camden.

Jan 17, 2017 – Resourcing Adviser

Thank you for the positive feedback, all the hard work we are all doing is paying off.

10. "Leaseholder Services"

I have been working at London Borough of Camden (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, allows for flexible working.

Cons

No chance for advancement or innovation. Not a place for someone who wants a challenge.

Jan 17, 2017 – Resourcing Adviser

Thank you for you feedback. I agree its a friendly place to work as well as allowing flexible working for our diverse workforce, I would be keen to find out more about the not so good aspects ... More

"Good organisation"

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organisation is definitely working hard to improve its practices. They constantly seek to better their equipment, find easier ways to do things and achieve their targets. The working hours are fine, flexible working is definitely respected, as are working from home days and vacation time. Salaries are exceptionally high for the effort one is required to put in one's job. Definitely a place to explore for a while, and get some valuable experience, as the Council can at times attract top graduates and interesting people.

Cons

The Council is extremely hierarchical (although they will deny this). It is common to see executive positions filled by unqualified but politically cunning staff, and under-performance can only rarely be challenged. Organisational politics are very hard to navigate, and every senior manager seems to be playing one type of game or another. Depending on whose toes you thread on, it can become a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Put an end to the obsessive micro-management. You are effectively deskilling your workforce.

Jan 17, 2017 – Resourcing Adviser

Thanks for the feedback, some good and some not so good. I agree we are working hard to make everyone's working life better, still some work to do but we are getting there. I would be keen to hear ... More