London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames Mayor Meena Bond
Meena Bond
1 Rating

1. "Volunteer supporting art workshop"

Former Employee - Gallery Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Gallery Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A love and caring environment with amazing and talented people! Everyone was fantastic, approachable and highly professional too.
    I learned about different art techniques and materials as well as how to conduct and plan an art workshop.
    The surroundings are beautiful! Lots of green areas, parks and the river.

Cons

The location is a little too far, it took me 1.5 hr to get there.

2. "ghfhgh"

Former Employee - Administrative in Twickenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Twickenham, England (UK)

Pros

Security, Easy Job, Bare Minimum Expected, Great PEension

Cons

Security, Redundancies, Lack of Opportunities, Small Minded Management, Lack of Innovation

3. "Don't work too hard"

I worked at London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames full-time

Pros

As a local authority, it embraces the idea of social inclusion even when it comes to employment. You share an office with people from many different backgrounds and different incentives. Mothers are allowed to take 6 months paid maternity leave and of which 3 months are full salary. Generally speaking you get the flexibility to fit work into the life-style you desire. Richmond is also one of the most beautiful boroughs in London and its Civic Centre is right by the Thames in Twickenham

Cons

If you like fast-paced working environment, this is not going to work. Like any government job, the bureaucracy slows down decision-making so it takes a very long time to get anything done. Charming co-workers and colleagues in other department becomes important if you want something done fast.

People also don't generally feel obligated to correct any error. I've experienced some salary payment delay, under and over payments but Payroll were not very apologetic and were not willing to amend the issues immediately.... told me to wait until the following months. It was only after I managed to complain to the head of HR directly that I got them to treat the matter as priority.

There doesn't seem to be any incentive for staff to perform better so employees generally do bare minimum to keep their job.

Advice to Management

Whilst it is great to promote flexibility to accomodate staff's needs and lifestyles, it is imperative to train staff re: working ettiquette and reporting guidelines. There should be more incentive for staff to perform better and sanction bad behaviours.