Lonely Planet Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 31, 2016

Found 2 reviews

1.3
Luis Cabrera

"Great people, changing company"

Former Employee - Editor in Melbourne

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of smart, thoughtful people who care about the LP products, with a great office culture. I'm still friends with many of my former co-workers.

Cons

Lots of restructuring and mission changes over the last several years after the company was sold to NC2 Media. Upper management not very good at communicating with employees. Not a lot of opportunity for internal advancement.

Lonely Planet2016-08-31

"Clueless and dying"

Current Employee - Editor in London, England

I have been working at Lonely Planet

Pros

The company still has plenty of kudos, and brand recognition is excellent. Travel is obviously part of the package. Opens doors.

Cons

As a freelance editor and writer Lonely Planet was a huge chunk of my life for over 10 years. More and more ridiculous demands are being made of us and the bureaucratic overload is appalling. A near-endless number of manuals and styling guides make getting anything done nigh-impossible. The atmosphere is toxic in the London office with Destination Editors hiring their non-qualified mates to do plumb jobs and taking freebies...

Advice to Management

Hire some publishing professionals. You had a terrific pool of talent. LP's internet presence is still poor and way less respected than it was in the days of the Thorn Tree, 10 years ago.

Lonely Planet2016-02-25