Lonely Planet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Daniel Houghton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Diverse co-workers, interesting company history, great work-life balance, relaxed atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

• If you're passionate about travel, this is one of the few guidebook publishers still making waves (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not very good at communicating with employees (in 5 reviews)

• Have let go a lot of important staff, remaining staff just keeping it all together (in 3 reviews)

"Great People, Great Company"

I worked at Lonely Planet part-time

Pros

The people are great, very flexible hours and fantastic support system. The projects are interesting but may get mundane depending on the cycle.

Cons

Very little room for growth. Especially with the recent restructuring, many employees (senior and junior) were laid off.

Advice to Management

Give employees more potential for growth. There could be more support from the higher-ups.

"Confused Brand"

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers and people are awesome at LP

Cons

Growth Opportunities, Upper Management, No direction, Communication, Compensation way under averages, No real review process, Ethics

Advice to Management

Communication, lack of empathy for employees

"A re-aligned and exciting future"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The negative reviews, while all hitting on very rational issues, are absolutely dated at this point. If you look into the history of the company you can see that there was a shift in management and complete restructure of the company. These reviews were all in the wake of those restructuring pains. Today, LP definitely thrives in the following:

- A very talented and passionate digital product team
    - New, very senior leadership with a shared vision for the future
    - Opportunity to create and have an actual impact on experiences for thousands of truly loyal users
    - The ability to wear multiple hats and be involved in every facet of the design/development process
    - An extremely generous work/life balance that stays true to the companies core travel values

Cons

While so much has changed in the past few years for the better, there are still many political battles our digital team is faced with. All verticals of the company have really began to align on our shared vision for the future of LP and it's very exciting.

The biggest con is that the talent pool for digital designers and developers in Nashville is exceptionally barren. Our mission to only hire the best definitely has our team feeling under-resourced but doesn't affect how much we ship.

Advice to Management

The unique digital product team at Lonely Planet is really under the wraps. It would be wise for management to make the team a bit more discoverable to potential candidates.

"Great brand, great product in need of adult management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lonely planet is absolutely brand you should work for if you like to travel. You can't beat Lonely Planet content. On the content side they have awesome machine that keeps generating great content and ideas.

Cons

If you look at LinkedIn you will see lonely planet has had revolving door for CTOs. This is a company that can't figure out how to develop technology that surfaces great content they have. Their management doesn't communicate at all, you will be happy if you receive some note from CEO once in 6 month. They take on product development with goals, milestones in mind. There is no reason why certain projects are done, they don't measure anything. Think twice before accepting job offer from lonely planet if you are tech minded person. If you just want to float along and have very low stress job sure go ahead and join this company.

Advice to Management

Hire someone who know how to manage, communicate with employees. How can you run a company without single person in charge of HR issues. You have no process in place for 6 month/12 month reviews, this is not how you run company.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Though I cannot speak for all teams at Lonely Planet, I strongly believe that LP is a place where you can come work and feel at home. People are engaging and creativity is constantly flowing. I would be willing to bet the majority of negative reviews on this site are from disgruntled past employees that were stuck in their old ways and didn't like change, ultimately parting ways with the brand. Management seems to do a great job motivating their employees and promoting a culture of free thinking and innovation. Be ready to hit the ground running from day one.

Cons

Although I do not have any cons in this point of my career, I feel that the overall Lonely Planet mission could be communicated throughout the organization a little better. This would help all teams understand the greater product of Lonely Planet and how each teams part plays into the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your team below you and remember that they are the brand's greatest asset. Continue to promote to your employees that we are one big family and loyalty to the brand will continue to rise.

"A storied past and a promising future"

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company has an incredible history and despite the ups and downs of the book industry, it has stayed the course and continued to provide travelers with amazing content
    - Definitely more focus on driving a technology transformation considering where the company was during the BBC days. The progress seems to now be coming thick and fast
    - Management team that is deeply invested in the future of the organization.

Cons

- Being a global company, it's not always easy for us to find a single-minded culture across the organization. That at LP, as in any other company is a work in progress.

Advice to Management

I know it's hard to turn a company like this around but despite a lot of criticism and challenges, the management team led by Daniel Houghton (the CEO) try really hard to steer the ship in the right direction. Despite Daniel and some of the other senior leaders being young, they have learned how to keep the company striving forward. Keep driving what y'all are driving and things will finally move in an upwards trajectory. It's good to be a part of that journey.

"Turning around an iconic brand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have some pretty incredible assets: a decades-old brand, a world of content, loyal fans and customers, and inspiring subject matter. Building products in that space is really fun.

We are developing a culture that leaves no room for egos. We're all here helping each other succeed and grow into one of the strongest tech teams in the industry. It's really fun watching the dramatic shift.

Cons

There is still a bit of old guard left in the business, which provides some challenging obstacles and unnecessary politics. Some of the leadership should be replaced and getting some basic processes in place can sometimes prove to be challenging.

Advice to Management

Trust the people that are doing the hard work of overhauling and fixing the company. Get rid of people that resist the change or don't show up and embody the ethos that is starting to take shape.

"Creative and hard working team with values to be proud of"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for many agencies, both very large and small - I can honestly say that I've never worked for a more pleasant team of creative minds that support each other like no other. It's motivating to work for a company that holds strongly to the ideals of serving the traveler first without selling out to the highest bidder.

Cons

Expect a lot of hard work, needing to be flexible, and resourceful. Many people here come from agency backgrounds with the ambition & energy to hit the ground running - it may surprising to some that you have to bring your talents and skills to the table, offering for the good of the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to those in the trenches, your best asset are the people that are committing themselves heart & soul to a brand they believe in, and will stand behind with true leadership at the helm.

"Freelancer"

Current Employee - Freelancer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Freelancer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lonely Planet (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, great community, exciting company, fun!

Cons

book industry seems to be declining with internet. not a lot of opportunities for freelance to full time

"Vision"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lonely Planet is one of the best travel brands in the world. The vision of where we're headed is one that makes me so excited to be a part of it. We want to help the world travel, and get to the heard of our destinations. We're doing that through collaboration with design and development in the most fantastic way possible. Using React, Redux, ES2015, Node, etc, we're building a platform upon which travelers will be inspired, and you'll have a heck of a good time building.

Cons

There's always room for improvement. As with any company we have struggles. The struggles of our past however have faded away, and we're on a path to amazing success.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!