Lonely Planet Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 7, 2018

Found 9 reviews

3.1
Luis Cabrera

"Great People, Great Company"

I worked at Lonely Planet part-time

Pros

The people are great, very flexible hours and fantastic support system. The projects are interesting but may get mundane depending on the cycle.

Cons

Very little room for growth. Especially with the recent restructuring, many employees (senior and junior) were laid off.

Advice to Management

Give employees more potential for growth. There could be more support from the higher-ups.

Lonely Planet2017-05-27
  2. "Freelance Travel Writer"

Former Employee - Travel Writer in Austin, TX

I worked at Lonely Planet for more than a year

Pros

Get to write for Lonely Planet. Get to travel. Get to own your creative voice.

Cons

Pay is minimal to start with. Tough pool that you pitch against.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

Lonely Planet2017-03-09

"Good place"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lonely Planet for less than a year

Pros

- There is a lot of good energy because of the great brand - You have access to a lot of data - Salary was good - Team was friendly

Cons

- There is a lot of turnover because of lack of management - They don't have a clear digital vision

Advice to Management

Move to digital with all the effort

Lonely Planet2016-11-16

"Appalling treatment and business practices"

I worked at Lonely Planet for more than a year

Pros

Employees are generally kind and helpful. Brand is well known outside US.

Cons

LP has fired multiple teams of people over the last several years with no notice and no explanation. Imagine waking up to check your company Slack and email only to discover that it no longer works. That is how LP does business. There is no regular communication from senior management. They do not communicate to employees a vision, a strategic plan, objectives, or goals. They do not provide employee reviews or any written...

Advice to Management

Hire a professional HR department and empower the HR VP. Get training on standard business practices.

Lonely Planet2016-10-13

"While trying to stay competitive in a increasingly digital world, LP has slid downhill quickly in the past few years."

Former Employee - Author in Oakland, CA

I worked at Lonely Planet for more than 8 years

Pros

People jacked up by travel and adventure.

Cons

Uncertainty. Decreasing budgets, near constant changes in strategy, poor author appreciation and attention.

Advice to Management

Make it about people again. Not just content.

Lonely Planet2014-05-28
      • "It's a great team to work with"

I have been working at Lonely Planet for more than a year

Pros

- The staff treats me like one of the team, although I'm a freelance contractor - Editors are strict but I end learning a lot from them and improving my writing - It's a prestigious publication with a strong set of guidelines and values

Cons

- I wish their monthly budget for freelancers was higher, although they never request more work hours than the ones they can pay

Advice to Management

Now that Daniel Houghton is no longer the CEO, I don't know what to expect but I sincerely hope there will be an improvement. The next person in line must not treat the company like a content mill or a click-bait platform (sometimes it's hard for writers to fight against it, although there's a high standard for every written piece).

Lonely Planet2018-08-07
      • "Lost its Way"

Former Employee - Freelancer

I worked at Lonely Planet for more than 10 years

Pros

If you're passionate about travel, this is one of the few guidebook publishers still making waves. Some wonderful people have worked for LP, and, if you're lucky, you may stumble upon them or deal with them. Perks for in-house staffer have often been generous and/or sensible.

Cons

Woeful lack of communication from the top, cluelessness and confusion from middle management, an overall sense that the ship is sinking and taking former LP values with it.

Advice to Management

Get a real plan and communicate it to your employees and freelancers. Reinstate some real values and vision and stop letting in-house people feed at the freebie trough, which muddies the waters. Stop implementing major changes unless you are actually ready to follow through and have all your procedures and systems in place -- forcing freelancers to sort out the mess created by management only leads to bitterness and corner...

Lonely Planet2017-01-31
      • "Great"

I worked at Lonely Planet

Pros

great company, great culture everything was likeable.

Cons

The company is smaller than what you'd expect no other cons as such

Lonely Planet2016-11-28

"Clueless and dying"

Current Employee - Editor in London, England

I have been working at Lonely Planet

Pros

The company still has plenty of kudos, and brand recognition is excellent. Travel is obviously part of the package. Opens doors.

Cons

As a freelance editor and writer Lonely Planet was a huge chunk of my life for over 10 years. More and more ridiculous demands are being made of us and the bureaucratic overload is appalling. A near-endless number of manuals and styling guides make getting anything done nigh-impossible. The atmosphere is toxic in the London office with Destination Editors hiring their non-qualified mates to do plumb jobs and taking freebies...

Advice to Management

Hire some publishing professionals. You had a terrific pool of talent. LP's internet presence is still poor and way less respected than it was in the days of the Thorn Tree, 10 years ago.

Lonely Planet2016-02-25