Lonely Planet Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Luis Cabrera

"Vision"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lonely Planet is one of the best travel brands in the world. The vision of where we're headed is one that makes me so excited to be a part of it. We want to help the world travel, and get to the heard of our destinations. We're doing that through collaboration with design and development in the most fantastic way possible. Using React, Redux, ES2015, Node, etc, we're building a platform upon which travelers will be inspired,...

Cons

There's always room for improvement. As with any company we have struggles. The struggles of our past however have faded away, and we're on a path to amazing success.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Lonely Planet2016-04-08

"Great people but inept leadership"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people working at the company are hard working, great teammates who will help with anything, friendly and truly believe in the brand.

Cons

Inexperienced, immature, and at times inept leadership that want to do good things, but truly have no idea how to do it, or build teams that are enabled to solve difficult problems.

Advice to Management

Honestly, the leadership team just needs more experience. They are all very green. Listen to the truly senior people in the organization.

Lonely Planet2015-05-12

"Could have been so much more"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Franklin, TN

I worked at Lonely Planet

Pros

Diverse co-workers, interesting company history, great work-life balance, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Incompetent leadership, no real product direction, no collaboration, little room for personal growth, high employee turnaround, surprise layoffs

Advice to Management

Please figure out what you want to build

Lonely Planet2015-03-20

"How to stifle innovation"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Melbourne

I worked at Lonely Planet for less than a year

Pros

Lonely Planet is the best challenge ever - take a strong brand with a history of partnering people on the greatest adventures of their lives and make it work in the technological age. And of course the people who actually write, produce and distribute the content are without fail enthusiastic, intelligent and delightful.

Cons

For reasons that may forever be a mystery to me upper management seem to actively dislike software engineers. They have no interest in understanding the work that goes into great tech and demonstrated no trust in the people that build it. The company has had four CTOs in the last two years, the last three of which were fired because the reality of tech innovation they attempted didn't match the delusional expectations...

Advice to Management

Don't expect instant miracles. Play the long game and the smart game. Learn to recognise the value of smart, capable experts. Learn to recognise blow hards who throw around a lot of big words but have no real world experience or knowledge.

Lonely Planet2015-09-29

"Worked with online team in London"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good holiday perks, nice offices.

Cons

Most of people are very incompetent, Aussie people think they are privileged and lack professionalism, nobody wants to do any really good work, lack of project management ability in senior managers, fouling with language, micro-management, during my presence there was no progress in any project etc.

Advice to Management

Hire professional, competent IT consulting company.

Lonely Planet2012-10-27