Lonely Planet Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 14, 2019

Found 4 reviews

4.3
Luis Cabrera
  1. "Great and always improving"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time for more than a year

Pros

As an engineer, I have a voice in the company and the direction of our product. We are free to work remotely at will. There is a collaborative culture and great camaraderie. Focus on continuous deployment and high quality work with a leading edge tech stack. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Benefits around time-off could use standardization across the company, which would benefit the US locations quite a lot instead of meeting regional minimums in each location, which hurts US employees comparatively, and communicates a lack of value for, and lack of thought into, employees' standards of living. Remote teams are rarely connected face to face, below the senior level.

Advice to Management

Proactively seek to create consistency & intentionality around employee compensation, time off, and internal connection & culture.

Lonely Planet2019-06-14

Lonely Planet Response

June 18, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave this review. It's encouraging to hear that you value the culture at Lonely Planet, as maintaining a positive working environment is something that is really important to us. We encourage you to get in touch with someone from the HR ...

"Lots of freedom."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Franklin, TN

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment with a good balance of fun and innovation.

Cons

Senior leadership was weak during my time, but that may have changed now with a new CEO.

Advice to Management

Spend some real effort monetizing something besides ads.

Lonely Planet2019-05-30

Lonely Planet Response

June 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Maintaining a positive working environment is important to us, so it's great to hear you enjoyed your time at LP. We appreciate all the feedback, as we are continuously looking to improve. - Lonely Planet HR Team

"Great brand, great product in need of adult management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lonely planet is absolutely brand you should work for if you like to travel. You can't beat Lonely Planet content. On the content side they have awesome machine that keeps generating great content and ideas.

Cons

If you look at LinkedIn you will see lonely planet has had revolving door for CTOs. This is a company that can't figure out how to develop technology that surfaces great content they have. Their management doesn't communicate at all, you will be happy if you receive some note from CEO once in 6 month. They take on product development with goals, milestones in mind. There is no reason why certain projects are done, they...

Advice to Management

Hire someone who know how to manage, communicate with employees. How can you run a company without single person in charge of HR issues. You have no process in place for 6 month/12 month reviews, this is not how you run company.

Lonely Planet2016-12-21

"Can still be great."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melbourne

I worked at Lonely Planet

Pros

If you love travel Lonely Planet is a really good place to work. You get to do travel related things all day long and get paid for it. People are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Lonely Planet has lost its way to a certain extend. Even though the company was an early adopter of technology (iThorn Tree was one of the earliest travel Forums. It was one of the first companies to digitally edit books) it fell behind the industry and is struggling to catch up.

Advice to Management

Too much focus on products, technologies, techniques, markets and not enough thinking about what makes people travel leads to lacklustre offerings. Go back to the original idea - how can Lonely Planet get travellers to connect with the world? The rest follow from there.

Lonely Planet2015-09-11