Long Island University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Kimberly R. Cline

Pros
Cons
  • The changes our new President implemented terminated the efficiency and reliability of this place (in 9 reviews)

• There is almost zero room for growth and little chance of having any real decision making responsibility (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fun team and a lot of latitude to take initiative"

I worked at Long Island University part-time

Pros

The job allowed for a lot of independent work, so you had a lot of room to make positive changes within reason

Cons

There was very limited team capacity, and sustainability wasn't at the forefront of the new administration's priorities

2. "Best Pharmacy school"

Former Employee - GEA in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - GEA in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Long Island University (More than a year)

Pros

High class pharmacy faculties and management

Cons

too expensive, less on campus jobs

3. "Beautiful Campus, Management Could Do Better"

I worked at Long Island University part-time

Pros

The campus is beautiful, especially during the spring/summer semesters. Good friendships between colleagues and clean facilities.

Cons

Things haven't been great since LIU Post got a new president.

Advice to Management

Focus less on trying to create a good image and more on supporting professors, staff, and students.

5. "Strategy"

Pros

Good Benefits, lovely physical plant

Cons

management needs clear long term strategy

Advice to Management

do not micromanage

6. "Learned a Lot!"

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Long Island University (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Environment, Nice staff, Gives you opportunity to learn many new things. Its good to be part of it.

Cons

no cons to share here!

7. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ozone Park, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ozone Park, NY

I worked at Long Island University (More than a year)

Pros

good enviroment, lot to learn, clean, guidance, transportaion

Cons

less pay, not enough instruments, some labs are not good, NA, NA

"Trauma"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Long Island University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our students are marvelous and a joy to teach. Our faculty are first rate scholars, colleagues, and love teaching our students.

Cons

The president has utter contempt for the faculty, students, and academic integrity. She schemes, lies, and destroys. She locked out faculty last September in a nationally unprecedented move just before classes began and just before faculty were to take a vote whether to strike because there was NO MOVEMENT IN CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS. She has outsourced building maintenance and security. The results are that classrooms and halls are filthy and computer thefts from locked faculty offices has become an epidemic. She does not communicate with faculty except to announce another destructive decree. She's the devil in a business skirt.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Cline and add people to the board that know something about higher education. She has destroyed all that was good about this place and replaced it with fear and dread.

9. "I work part time at the Tilles Center for the performing arts at LIU Post and love it."

Current Employee - Freelance Stagehand/Light/Sound in Old Brookville, NY
    Current Employee - Freelance Stagehand/Light/Sound in Old Brookville, NY

I have been working at Long Island University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management and bosses are all really great people and so are the vast majority of coworkers there. There are a lot of great shows coming through Tilles and it's fun and fulfilling to be a part of. Very flexible work schedule, freelancing with this concert hall is a great second job. Great work atmosphere, great people, and reasonable pay

Cons

One time I signed up for my first and last page turning gig for Joshua Bell. I had no idea what I was doing and got fired from that role by the piano accompanist during intermission. My bosses were all super cool and supportive about it and ripped on me haaha. My heart was racing so fast trying to read classical music(I'm not great at reading music) and turn pages (for the first time) in front of over 2000 people. I look back on it and laugh. In case you haven't noticed by this point, there aren't really any cons to working here, just had to fulfill a 20 word minimum

Advice to Management

Bob Tom Pat JD Laura you guys are all awesome, it's great to work in a place where your bosses are people that you'd enjoy hanging out with outside of work

"Do Not Work For LIU"

I worked at Long Island University full-time

Pros

There are no pros at this time.

Cons

The entire Long Island University system is full of staff who are managed and led by incompetent people with hidden agendas.

There is no communication between higher administration/senior staff and the LIU faculty and staff, with total disregard to the students. The salaries that are paid are in no way fair to the amount of work that is piled-up on every individual, no matter what department. Positions are dissolved and all responsibilities of said position are put on another individual, with no salary increase or title change. Comp/overtime pay is not granted to anyone regardless of how many weekends and late hours you work. President Kimberly Cline instills fear in all of the faculty and staff. She doesn't commit to anything unless it is appealing to her personal bank account, hence the LIU Brooklyn Lockout that caused hundreds of faculty members to lose their jobs and family health insurance.

This entire university system is corrupt, full of bribery and red tape. LIU is a prime example of why society is fighting against privatizing institutions. If you are looking for employment at LIU, my one word of advise to you is: RUN.

Advice to Management

Start caring about the faculty and staff.

"Nightmare"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Brookville, Nassau, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Brookville, Nassau, NY

I worked at Long Island University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have not been any pros since Cline took over in 2013.

Cons

LIU is being run like a business. The President has no regard for anyone or anything. She has destroyed not only the moral, but the reputation of a once fine institution. She has cut academic programs, staff, student services and scholarships for veterans. And most importantly she has failed to raise enrollment. Her contract was extended because she met financial goals by mass layoffs and firings.

Advice to Management

They don't listen. The BOT is stacked with her friends. They are just as big a joke as the institution itself.