Long View Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Long View Systems Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great People, great atmosphere and great clients (in 15 reviews)

• CLPs (Career Life Planning meetings) exist to establish appropriate expectations and a roadmap for advancement (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Consequently, work-life balance isn't always easy to achieve or maintain (in 16 reviews)

• s a boys club and promotions and leadership roles are just filled with random guys who have been there forever (in 9 reviews)

"Systems Consultant"

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with. Alternative work schedules allowed me to be available for my family and work from home when needed.

Cons

Pay and location wasn't ideal.

Mar 8, 2016 – People Services Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! It's unfortunate to hear that you felt that your compensation wasn't ideal, and that you considered the location of our office a con. However ... More

"Disappointing"

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are spectacular. Talented, generous, truly a family.

Long View enables you to grow your skill-set in a way that is unmatched. If you are willing to put in the effort, you will be able to experience any technology that Long View supports. Long View encourages and finances certifications/education which is great.

CLPs (Career Life Planning meetings) exist to establish appropriate expectations and a roadmap for advancement.

Those employees that have survived the last year at this company still remember the excellent, fun, and supportive culture that is possible in the Denver office. I hope, for the sake of those still here, that culture returns.

This can be a great option for someone new to IT that would like to build their resume but understand that you will have to work harder than is comfortable and you will be underpaid while you do it.

Cons

Management is failing and it is driving away the spectacular people here. There have been very large talent gaps created recently by the continuing significant loss in staff. Management has continued to preach that these losses are not a problem which is mind-boggling.

If you are willing to put in effort, they will take everything you have and ask for more. Long View has an incredible team still and yet, they are riding their best and brightest into the ground. The pace at which employees are asked to work (24x7 on-call year round without break; frequent late night projects) is unrealistic and unhealthy.

Compensation is not competitive at entry-level despite the value an employee might bring. Benefits are good though.

The poor Oil/Gas industry has caused the recent revenue drops at Long View and pressure from that has caused questionable decisions to be made by management that fall from the 4 Pillars (Integrity, Competence, Value, Fun) that were so highly praised only 18 months ago.

Advice to Management

When I was interviewed 3 years ago, a member of the Long View family (he has since left) told me that Long View's strongest quality is the understanding that their product is people and they pride themselves in the way they prepare, handle, and reward those people. I was lucky enough to see that and benefit from it for 18 months. But now that's gone and we've seen the massive levels of turnover in the past year. Return to that mindset.

Mar 8, 2016 – People Services Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post this comprehensive review about Long View - we value your opinion and transparency. You took the time to explain some things that we would love to delve into ... More

"who hasnt quit ...yet"

Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

when I started there in 2010, the (4) core pillars were treated like gospel, today theyre more of a suggestion. I miss the Old LVS, no doubt best place to work and really thought it would be the last place id work..... today, integrity is out the window..... if youre interviewing.... ask this question, how many people have left (fired/quit or got laid off) in the last 12 months....

Cons

be a smart person - read all the reviews on Glassdoor, ask good questions about the direction of the company, how many people (in all departments (Sales, Accounting, Project Mgmt, Architecture, etc...) have quit/laid off or fired..... then make your own decision

Advice to Management

doesn't matter anymore, you never listened to your employees then - you wont do it today.... ill be shocked if the doors of LVS are still open in 12 months....

Feb 2, 2016 – People Services Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and opinions about Long View. We're happy to hear your experience at Long View started off on the right foot, but are sorry to hear that things ... More

"Horrible experience. Possibly the worst of my professional career. Sorry guys."

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some very sharp, well credentialed people within Long View. They are resources that you have access to and can learn from when you have the chance to interact with them.

Downtown Denver has some location based advantages.

Compensation was competitive for the Denver market. I will give them that.

They do at least try to improve things as evidenced by the repeated responses to these negative reviews.

CLP's (Career Life Plan) do exist, but you get out what you put in to it. Exhausted employees with low morale don't plan well.

Cons

Being headquartered in Alberta, Canada, Long View has historically been heavily dependent on Oil and Gas customers. Given that O&G is flailing in the worst possible way as reflected in gas prices, Long View Systems is going through significant turmoil. They are struggling to make up for the lack of project work with managed services and hosted cloud customers. They do not have the resources to competently support managed services. Their cloud offerings are very pricey compared to other options.

That said, this is a very difficult place to work. The managed services team is expected to be responsive 24/7/365 with no breaks. Work a 14 hour day and the next day you'd better be at your desk by 7:30a or you will hear about it. Your weekend and evening time will be constantly interrupted. There is no on call rotation.

Unless you come in as an Architect or some other high level position, everyone gets the same title of Systems Consultant. Someone with 15-20 years experience gets the same title as someone with 2. Does not matter what you do. You don't know this until you get your offer letter.

Very high churn rate. People would be there one day and gone the next. The Denver office is not that big. I saw at least 10 people leave...including the two that provided references for me. This was at all levels and departments. The only people that had more than 1 year under their belts were brought up from the NOC/Service desk. New recruits from outside have a 90% failure rate given the environment (per my manager).

Typical silos that you see anywhere. Project/ Architect resources are hesitant to wade too deeply in to operations, Service Desk reps don't want to touch something due to the way costs are billed inter-department, managed services is hamstrung by the contract verbiage meaning work needs to be kicked up to a project resource.

Constant chaos and stress. You are only as good as your last billable hour.

Technical talent is exploited while Account (Sales) and Project Managers reap the rewards.

Voice valid concerns to People Services and get vilified for it.

Advice to Management

You cannot expect employees to always be responsive. IT is what it is, but people need time to themselves. No one can work that kind of schedule without burning out.

Come up with an on call rotation or something to give people some space to breathe.

You are working people to unhealthy states. This will never yield positive results.

As you shift away from projects and move more towards managed services, you will slowly lose the talented MCM's and other Architects everyone depends on there.

Jan 11, 2016 – People Services Manager

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and post a review about Long View; we are sorry to see that you have negative opinions about the company that were formed during your time with us. As you ... More

"Stay Away!!"

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Certifications are paid for by the company which is a nice to have.....the office location is awesome because you can light rail in which is also paid for.

Cons

The above pros are not worth signing on to this company. The management is poor and unqualified to do the majority of the jobs they need to be. You will end up doing far to many jobs than you are actually compensated for. Sales doesn't know how to sell anything but oil and gas contracts and in the other spare time they are golfing and taking clients out to fancy lunches/dinners. Meanwhile back at base camp the others are working away for little compensation. At the end of the day they preach about being proactive and all you get is a reactive environment. I am happy to say that the grass is greener on the other side. Don't let the flashy office and false promises confuse you. IT A TRAP!

Advice to Management

Start taking a look at how you are treating your actual hard working employees. Pay them at least market value. For those that are going above and beyond, trying giving them a raise for once instead of a pat on the back and a 5 dollar gift card. If you really cared and understood your people, then you would see that most are unhappy and leaving for better opportunities. you CAN change that and it all starts with you following your own core pillars. I worked here for a long time and it was not always this bad. Trying cleaning house starting with the top and working your way down from there. You cant solve any problems if you are only looking at the bottom of the barrel. Put actual managers in charge and stop promoting people just because they have been there and can fake like they know what they are doing.

Nov 5, 2015 – People Services Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions about Long View. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our Denver office, as well as the fact that Long View pays for ... More

"Great Company - Cares About Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

The Company has alot of activities to bring the entire office together. The benefits are above average in the area.

Cons

If you have an issue with a coworker management has a hands off approach and you feel you have no other option than to just ignore it.

Advice to Management

Human Resource department needs to be more involved with employee conflicts.

Oct 9, 2015 – People Services Manager

Thank you for your review; we are happy to hear you enjoyed our very comprehensive benefits package as well as our social events that help to promote our culture. We have an open door policy at Long ... More

"Your working experience can vary greatly"

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location of the office downtown is convenient. You might end up at a good client site depending on which contract you end up working. Paid training. Average benefits.

Cons

Severely overworked and stressful work environment. Bullying can and does occur from some coworkers or leadership at times. These issues can be brought up to other leadership or HR but at least in my experience after multiple people brought this to HR's attention these individuals still received promotions.

The work environment is very male dominated and heavy on cliques. Long View seems to hire tons of people with the same type of personality traits. If you don't fit these traits well you aren't right for their "culture" or "this job isn't for everyone."

Long View likes to push its core pillars which it identifies as values essential to the organization such as work life balance. There isn't any work life balance but this is completely determined by where you work. Maybe you end up at a cushy client site or at a decent internal position or maybe you end up in a worst case scenario – it is a roll of the dice.

Internally they like to push career development when in many cases there isn't really anywhere to go. Those that move up may pay their dues for years being rolled out all over the country or working any number of varied sites before getting a different position which may not be better than where they were before. Many get their training and then leave. For the years I worked here there was never an opportunity where a big client was gained and a number of internal employees were needed to fill new positions.

Payroll is a joke. Watch your pay stubs carefully and bring up any mistakes with HR as fast as possible to get them fixed. As far as I could tell this was incompetence more than anything else.

Lastly the Long View office perpetuates this cult-like atmosphere of greatness. Coworkers would refer to this as drinking the Kool-Aid. This is pushed heavily at company meetings and during career development meetings. It is depressing when everything around you is a disaster yet the perpetuated myth continues without any concerted push to improve things due to fears of upsetting a client or upsetting long established processes.

Advice to Management

Things won't change so why bother.

Oct 9, 2015 – People Services Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Long View. We value your feedback, so our Director of People Services would like to speak with you directly so that we can learn more about ... More

"Lots of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

Good people. Co-workers are great and genuinely care for one another. Recent branch management changes have made employees more optimistic. I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

Managers will not tell employees if they are not meeting perfomance expectations, but instead will wait until their project ends and then suddenly not have any work available and lay them off. Environment in the office is not as fun as it once was. Key people have been terminated and the office has become blah. It's not a fun place to work anymore and there isn't any room for career growth. If you want to move up, you have to go someplace else.

Advice to Management

Be up front to employees about performance from the start. If there are concerns, address them and work to coach employees to be successful before rushing to terminate them. Re-evaluate the interview process. Not every bad employee "oversold" themselves. Telling people here to contact their US People Services Manager? Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

Jul 24, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Your feedback is important to us; thank you for it. We will pass this onto our Houston leaders. We would also welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about your concerns and there are many ... More

"Houston, we have a problem!"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fairly good compensation package (3 weeks vacation) Medical, dental, vision.
    - LVS knows how to have fun after work. Fun Christmas parties every year.

Cons

- Pay is very low considering the bill rates.
    - Career, Life, Planning sessions don't really seem to mean much.
    - Management (CSMs) in the downtown office don't communicate much with team leads at client sites.

Advice to Management

-Spend more time with your employees at client sites. There is a big disconnect between the downtown office and remote sites.
    -More meaning to the CLPs. It just seems like something that has to be done every quarter to put a check mark next to it.

Jul 16, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your experience at Long View and the aspects that you liked and disliked. Understandably, the consulting world comes with challenges which sometimes ... More

"Exasperated with failed leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros these days. You will read about the company vision and the "core pillars" in many of these reviews. There may have been a time when the company truly believed in them and actively operated and lived by them. That hasn't been the case in the Denver branch in some time. The downtown location is great, and there are a handful of people who do truly care about what they do.

Cons

The current US leadership/management team doesn't appear to have real success as a goal. The revolving door of turnover is spinning endlessly. You're hard pressed to find too many line-level folks who have been there more that a year or two. Account managers, project managers, marketing staff, engineers...all are leaving at a mind-numbing rate. Morale is poor, and after a round of layoffs followed by steady employee attrition, there's little hope on the horizon that things will get better. There does not appear to be any real effort to improve the product, standardize any kind of process or policy, or even bring in new work. Engineers with no sales experience and no interest in sales are being harassed to become presales engineers with zero training or coaching. The bonus program is a farce being unreasonably weighted to favor the company with a penance payed out to the engineers who actually do the work. Training has become non-existent. Longview stresses "perks" like the Career/Life planning and "work/life balance" with extreme conviction during the interview, but once you're on the payroll, the work/live balance is a bad joke. You will have to fight, claw, and beg for any semblance of balance if there's billable hours sitting in a bucket somewhere. And for those let go in the too-frequent "layoffs", there's no warning, usually no explanation as to why they are let go, and virtually no severance. Oddly the team leads, and all levels of management seem immune to the mood swings of a downturn

Advice to Management

To those in Calgary...I think a complete leadership/management flush and fill is about all that will save the US market and the Denver branch. Those in charge now don't seem capable of making the kind of changes that would bring success to the branch. Worse, they don't seem interested in fixing things. Calgary HR should take an objective look at the technical people that have left Denver over the last 18 months. The talent that has left or been run out is significant. The IT market in Denver is unbelievably tight and opportunity for talented people is everywhere. Longview's reputation isn't great in this market. Convincing truly skilled passionate people to come work for Longview right now will be a hard sell.

Aug 19, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your experience at Long View wasn’t what we had hoped it would be. Our Director of People Services would like to speak with you directly so that ... More