Long & Foster Reviews in Chantilly, VA | Glassdoor

Chantilly, VA

4.0
P. Wesley Foster Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great training, especially the Launch program (in 8 reviews)

• Strong brand recognition across the region (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication is rampant- company exists completely in silo's (in 4 reviews)

• The commission split is not advantageous to agents and eventually drives many good agents away (in 6 reviews)

1. "Provide admin support to the Pres of L&F's Title Co., including team members within all 11 cos under his lead."

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down, my boss and coworkers in our department. Remote work schedule, light travel and minimal management, allowing for self-lead productivity and success.

Cons

Encountering coworkers with different cultures and age ranges can be challenging as every person presents with their own views and tactics at problem-solving.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention, providing support and understand of the work-life balance.

2. "e-real estate specialist"

Former Employee - E-Real Estate Specialist in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - E-Real Estate Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented people in their fields
    good benefits
    good team spirit

Cons

Not much room for advancement
    Pay increases non-existent unless you get promoted which rarely happens

3. "Excellent company to work for"

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

I recently starting working for Long & Foster in Chantilly, VA, and so far, my impressions are very good! I have been impressed with the responsive IT team, the friendliness of employees, the beautiful work environment, and lots of employee perks.

Cons

I have no complaints about working at Long & Foster. The benefits are comparable to what most companies seem to be offering, and the PTO is actually better than most.

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Nice building and great location.

Cons

No teleworking benefits!!! Very old fashion rules and policies.

Advice to Management

PLEASE implement teleworking benefits and update the old school policies asap if you want to keep talented people working for the company.

5. "Seems good to me"

Former Employee - IS Department in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - IS Department in Chantilly, VA

Pros

The People are easy to get along with

Cons

The Pay was low for what i did

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

6. "Property Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The "Long and Foster" name is associated with prestige.
    Co-workers and supervisor is helpful. Great office environment.

Cons

Non-competitive salary, underpaid and overworked in especially in summer months.
    No bonuses or raises EVER.

Advice to Management

Many disgruntle employees in regards to payscale, high turnover

"Long & Foster Insurance - Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working here for almost 4 years, there is a long list of Pros. For one, management practices an "open door policy" meaning if you have an idea, a complaint or even a comment - they are more than willing to listen and have a conversation. Also, they are constantly making strides to enhance the technology within the agency - they were told the laptops were dying & phones were outdated, and they listened...if the technology stands in your way of being productive & efficient- they will fix it. Just like any job - you get what you put in. If you make the effort to go the extra mile & invest yourself, they will invest in you.

There is another insurance post which I'm almost certain references myself as I just recently resigned. The comments were taken out of context & are not completely accurate. It was an emotional departure due to my time spent there - however I would recommend this job to anyone that can work hard, with a positive attitude & willing to learn.

Cons

As for challenges - the culture surrounding the Real Estate industry can be a bit of a challenge. As most of the "leads" are provided from the agents...it has been set up as a "I demand, you supply" environment. No fault to the "core partners" - simply just old practices being carried on to current day. the key is to work well with different personalities and keep a "customer service" attitude.

Advice to Management

More sales/service contests to boost motivation & reward results

"hit or miss"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've had some great managers, and some not so great. The good ones will try to get you to go as far as you possibly can with the division/company.

Cons

Lack of training, no back up when needed, LOTS of technical issues. Many years without any raises in the past due to "economy" but only for the lowly workers. Its all about the agents and you WILL be screamed at by them if they dont get their way.

Advice to Management

Managers are there to supervise; not to just make yourself look good. When your staff suffers it will come back on you.

"THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCEPTING A POSITION HERE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you happen to work with a good group of people that work as a team you will manage OK, but that's hit or miss depending on the company or the department you are working in.
    But that is it, there are more cons than pros.

Cons

This company has too many issues from the top executives. Leadership from the Top of the House is poor, which makes it harder for the subsequent lines of management. Employees who give constructive feedback to leadership when asked are then ostracized and pushed out the door.
    The lack of compensation is laughable unless you are a "buddy" to an executive. Other employees then get sacrificed so those buddies can be taken care of.
    The employee morale is horrible at HQ. The field is grateful that they don't have to interact much with the IVORY TOWER and if you are in the field count yourself lucky if you have a good leader.
    Employees do not feel valued, there aren't any programs for employees except for "wellness" and that is fine but not what is truly needed. Other posts talked about charity for the Foster's to get their tax breaks, that may be true, but the bigger issue is that there isn't anything for the employees....ONLY AGENTS! That may never change until the company really looks at where the money and profit is really coming from.
    MAYBE replace the corrupt leadership in the bean counting department, and hire someone at the head that knows how to LEAD and knows how to run a P&L. These people have been around for 20 plus years and have know idea how to manage or how to do company finances.
    This company is marginally successful despite it's fledgling infrastructure. How much better could it be if they really tried?

Advice to Management

STOP worrying about the money that goes into your pockets MR. Executives and owner and put the money into the company infrastructure and the employees. While you're at it, look in the mirror and realize that you are not leaders and maybe HIRE some! Or get some training because you sorely need it. Until then you will make the same mistakes over and over, and the turnover will continue. The saddest part of all this is when people leave, and you don't realize that your comments reach those outgoing employees, comments like - they weren't any good anyway...
    Here's a thought - how would you know what good looks like? You're not the leaders or managers you think you are.

"Long and Foster Insurance Review"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Representative in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Representative in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

I really do not have too much positive to say about this company, The benefits are ok.

Cons

There is absolutely no structure, the company hires the kids of the high ranking officials and they receive better treatment. Management is lacking in common sense. Some employees can do anything and are almost never held accountable for their actions, The pay is horrible. They over work you and wonder why the turn over is so high. They made an ex-coworker cry by calling her names when she put in her 2 weeks notice and told her to go, This was heartbreaking because she was there for 4 years and they always treated her like she was the greatest person in the company, until she quit. Management talks about to other employees about other employees(very unprofessional). They are not honest period. I have worked for other insurance companies and this by far has been the worst experience. I am currently in the process of looking for other employment.

Advice to Management

Fire the current management team and replace with more well qualified people.