Long & Foster Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
P. Wesley Foster Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great training, especially the Launch program (in 12 reviews)

• Strong brand recognition across the region (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication is rampant- company exists completely in silo's (in 4 reviews)

• The commission split is not advantageous to agents and eventually drives many good agents away (in 6 reviews)

1. "Realtor"

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Does not pressure the realtors into sales. A lot of technological advancements are free of charge.

Cons

Company takes a huge chunk of the commission

"L&F - All talk, No follow-through"

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible hours and paid lunch (half-hour)

Cons

- Most managers within the company are just real estate agents who have been promoted...they do not have the skills or knowledge on how to manage and operate a business and/or employees (which is understandable because they are SALES people, not business people).
    - Employees voices are never heard...whether it be a suggestion about using a new system, doing tasks a different way, requesting access to certain things, etc there is a general feeling that the employees are not being listened to or respected.

Advice to Management

Over my years it became painfully clear that Long & Foster management does NOT care about their employees. They'll sell you on the idea that they do, but it's simply not the case. I've spoken to numerous L&F employees, and the general consensus is that L&F underpays and under-appreciates their employees. Some more tenured employees have told me that L&F has been on a pay "freeze" for 5-7 years...which is absolutely absurd when you consider that L&F is recognized as one of the largest privately held real estate brokerages in the country (based on revenue). The office in which I worked sold over $1B in sales multiple years in a row, yet none of the employees processing all of those sales received a single dollar in bonuses or any other type of compensation. Management doesn't have a clue - prospective employees STAY AWAY!

"Processor"

Current Employee - Mortgage Processor
    Current Employee - Mortgage Processor

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, PTO is ok, HSA/ 401K contributions are a benefit and they are big on family. If you have an issue and notify them they will work with you. Hours for processors are Monday thru Friday.

Cons

The biggest con is the culture of this company. It lacks diversity and acceptance of diversity. This probably more true outside of head quarters, which is based in Virginia.

Advancement opportunities and treatment is biased. It is based on who you know, net worth, and not the quality of work you produce. Also, it's the finance industry so if you are not a follower and voice full, there will be no room for advancement.

Trust no one. Gossip is big among all the employees.

There is always a charity for you to donate to so the company gets a tax break.

Benefits are high with high deductibles. I'm currently paying $200 per pay period with a $3, 000 deductible. Never again.

Management is learning just like you most of the time. Alot of time it seems they are very incompetent but they have seniority over you usually so you are always wrong somehow.

Definitely not a place for the passive aggressive type. I repeat, you will be stuck standing still here or even fired if this is your natural personality. It's a sea of sharks here and everyone is out for self advancement mostly.

If you are a women, be prepared to work twice as hard as usual. If you are a minority women, be prepared to work twice as hard and some. If you are a minority women, be prepared to work without any of achievements being recognized but yet passed off as someone (More prominent than you) else's idea.

If you work off the clock as a processor, be prepared to receive more loans and recognition after putting in alot of time off the clock. Many of the processors I work with work on the weekend with no pay. I do not since I have a child but those who do tend to receive more loans.

The bonus program is okay but for the amount of stress involved, I believe it should be more. Not to mention the incentive sheet they give you, no one can explain to you what you are getting per loan. Not management, not HR, Not Payroll, not even another processor. So bonus checks weeks I'm usually just grateful there are a few more dollars then the last pay period no matter how hard I worked that month.

You can try to speak up about these issues but if you are not a whos who, your comments will fall on death ears.

No where is perfect, but if you think you can withstand these conditions then go right ahead. Just make sure you have the right goals, background, and personality to fit in. If you do not, I repeat you will be stuck standing still!

Also, some people get away with murder while others can not mess up even once. I mean drugs, calling out, stealing, (there are no cameras in the offices) and much more. But these individuals receive incentives or promotions while others who are exemplary employees will never be acknowledged.

As a result, I have decided to change my career path. This industry/company is not for genuine, good hearted working individuals. If you know your self, I repeat, please think before accepting the position. I wish I would have listened to my grandmother and accepted another job offer personally.

Advice to Management

I do not think the culture of this industry will change anytime soon. I do think however, that the type of culture this company fosters will continue to leave them with high turn over ratios and push good team players away. But that is name of the game. Only the strong or entitled will prevail.

4. "Mailroom Clerk"

Former Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People care about you and your family.

Cons

Some people are biased about...

5. "More politics than Congress, be carful"

I worked at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

Very good benefits, and pay scales.

Cons

Work is good for good pay, but if you step on someone's toes, they will assure your career is over. My staff printed out every single email, and said they were worried about management. The IT dept recorded all of our computer screens.

Advice to Management

Try to lower the level of politics - start with relocation president

6. "Real Estate Professional"

Current Employee - Realtor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Realtor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice and friendly. Most agents will help you out in a pinch. Excellent training classes.

Cons

Very hard to find clients. Salary split is 50/50 until you start to bring in business. Split is determined once a year for the next year. If none or little business, the split goes down.

7. "admin"

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

low pay and expensive benefits

8. "Realtor"

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Excellent chance for great success

Cons

Commission only, Also a chance for failure

9. "Real Estate"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Long & Foster (More than a year)

Pros

organized company when it comes to real estate

Cons

a chaotic environment in a very fast-pace setting

Advice to Management

none

10. "Great company!"

Pros

Great training & support. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Start up fees. It takes awhile to begin generating solid income.