Longs Drug Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Longs Drug CEO, President and CEO, CVS Caremark Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice benefits, flexible schedule, not bad place to work (in 4 reviews)

• friendly staff, flexible hours, good management, friendly customers and everyone's nice (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It no longer felt like the family run business that it once was (in 3 reviews)

• For those who don't know, Long's is owned by CVS, but we're different than other (in 12 reviews)

1. "Company acquired by CVS"

Former Employee - Corporate Pricing Analyst in Kannapolis, NC
    Former Employee - Corporate Pricing Analyst in Kannapolis, NC

I worked at Longs Drug full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Each of its stores was autonomous and catered to the community in which it was located.
    It was a family owned business of 400 stores.

Cons

Company no longer exists since it was acquired by CVS

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "not an open minded company--only the idea of the management team and owners matter--do not treat employees with respect-"

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Longs Drug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

hours better than most retail places, pay better if you add in bonuses (but up to management team if you get bonus-not based on job performance but on how much they like you or not)

Cons

very biased work place, nothing based on knowledge of job or job performance, HR dept very biased along with management team, lets techs run everything, pharmacist have no authority

Advice to Management

need to treat all pharmacist as equal, need to take pharmacist complaints serious, needs to listen to employee concerns and ideas

3. "Former Employer"

Former Employee - Manager in Lodi, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Lodi, CA

I worked at Longs Drug full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company that rewarded the entrepreneur

Cons

CVS takeover destroyed all that was good about the company. The CEO basically was hired to get the company ready for a takeover, not to progress the employees.

4. "Working there beat me down, now I am rebuilding my pride."

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV

Pros

I was able to work hard to become part of the team and earn hours to become a Pharmacy Technician. In truth I was paid the least and my new manager wouldn't teach me anything or allow me to do my job well and made me work the most out of all of the staff. I was stuck in the front typing up prescriptions and was threatened to be written up if I went into the back to find the right manufacturer for the medication I was typing the prescription for. I was only allowed to ask the pharmacist what manufacturer to use and he didn't want me to take the time to look up the information for me. I use to be able to do it but he was the new big bad boss that had to have his say about everything. In short the lines got long, patient's were not helped in a timely manner and I got yelled for not having my work done when he wouldn't give me the correct information.

Cons

My boss would put me down all of the time because he knew that he could and get away with it.

Advice to Management

Don't keep bad bosses around. Make sure your employees are treated with respect.

"Longs Drugs, inside and out."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Its a good starting job in that it shows you what the real world can be like, or if the only money you want is pocket change, then you will get it. oh and if you hate a set schedual, again you will like it at longs, or atleast the one on Elkhorn. There arent really that many good reasons to work there.

Cons

Well the pay for one thing, because I have been there for 1 year, 7 months, and 9 days, and I only make $8.00 an hour. And that’s only because of the law. The always changing schedules. I used to have a set schedule every week, but then all of a sudden, my boss starts changing it on me. I put my availability as cant work past seven pm, but for the second week in a row, I have worked till 8:30pm on Monday, and 10:00pm on Wednesday. I also wish i had more hours as well. I'm also not being recognized as a valued employee. I'm afraid that if I quit, no one will notice, except for a select few. My best friend would be one of them. I so feel unnoticed there, that it’s not even funny. And the really not attractive uniforms. No customer really cares what we wear. We could wear clown suits and they wouldn't care. Aprons, and then whatever we want underneath would be a perfectly fine uniform. For example, Lowes and Home Depot. I also don’t like the, "no jeans" rule. My old boss didn’t mind, so when we changed management, I kept wearing those same pants. But apparently I was wrong and got in trouble for it. The only problem was, I was the only one who got in trouble. Even with our green shirts and black pants, customers will still ask me, "excuse me ma'am, but do you work here?" My best friend said she gets asked that same question as well. The "no cell phone on the floor" rule annoys me as well because what if there is an emergancy, and we cant access the store phones? Tehn what? We are asked to keep our phones in our lockers, but the combinations to the lockers are kept in the managers office, and the door is rarely closed when not being occupied. So theft is another reason why i dont like that rule. I would understand if they said, "we prefer that you dont carry your cell phone on you, but if you must have it, then at least turn it off." I would be perfectly fine with that. But unfortunately, that is not the case. My other issue is with the breaks. We only get ten minutes. I believe we need fifteen. Home Depot gives fifteen minute breaks. And today my coworker took a 21 minute break and didn’t even get into trouble for it.

Advice to Management

I would let them know about a few things to make Longs Drugs a better envirement. Those items are; a set schedule, better pay, more hours, and better uniforms. For example, stop changing our schedules everyweek. Keep them the same and consistant. Provide your employees with six month reviews, along with a pay raise if applicable. Also, give your employees more hours a week. And last but not least, throw out our ugly green shirts, and give us aprons.

6. "Longs was a miserable company to work for."

Pros

Flexible, low hours, low time commitment and accountability.

Cons

Low hours, low pay, no work advancement.

Advice to Management

Higher pay, better hours.

7. "very disappointing and unfair"

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

Pros

good pay.
    made good contacts.
    got my first look at management and how lack of structure can bring down a good company

Cons

lack of structure and organization brought down a good company