Looker Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Looker CEO Frank Bien
Frank Bien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Not to mention a great office environment with plenty of perks in beautiful Santa Cruz" (in 13 reviews)

• "Company is growing lightening fast and benefits from a C-suite team with a proven track record" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typically Santa Cruz liberal people here, and that's the way they like it" (in 13 reviews)

• "It's growing really really fast, so there are of course some growing pains" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Rewarding and exciting time at Looker"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

An incredibly fast-paced and exciting company, with an unparalleled team of dedicated, inquisitive people. The learning and growth opportunities are vast, and the company is full of momentum. Users and creators love the product.

Cons

Demanding work environment can lead to long hours, but the team and enjoyable work help balance things out.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on scaling solutions, and preserve the strong company values to keep Looker a supportive and rewarding place to work

2. "Culture not just a selling point"

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the reasons I chose to join the company over an alternate offer was the culture that made me feel they were investing in me, pushing me to be as successful as I could be, and setting me up to grow in the organization. That rang true during my tenure at the company and that willingness to educate and encourage employees to advance and take on different projects has been super important to me.

Cons

Certain level of bro-y culture across some of the offices, as is standard in sales organizations. I think having more women managers would counter this.

"Everything but engineering/product are excellent"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone in marketing, strategy, sales, professional services, alliances, recruiting, finance, customer success, customer support, etc, are top-tier. Probably best in class.

Company is positioned very well for IPO.

Business is doing really well

Good culture, people really do care about customers, the product, and others

Leadership in general (outside engineering/product) is very competent and transparent

The mission is very clear

Cons

The Engineering org is toxic. The tech debt in the product both FE and BE is beyond belief. Simple features that normally can take a few hours end up taking days. More "advanced" features take months to do.

Original engineers dominate discussions and hold heavy decision weight, some would derail product decisions due to silly reasons, or be no help in making the code better.

Just a very poorly run engineering organization that has too many problems to list.

Pay is bad in engineering, especially for Bay Area standards, so are perks (SF office only offers lunch two days a week)

Some of the engineering executives.. we wonder what they do all day

Many loyal and talented PMs/engineers have left the company due to these reasons, so we wonder who's next.

Advice to Management

Fix the engineering and product organization. We are truly concerned about the state it's in. But every other department, keep making Looker Looker

"Great culture, future feels strong"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

It's a Santa Cruz twist on a startup vibe. Everyone works hard, there's a lot of support and collaboration (at least on my team) and we're doing a good job keeping our values while growing. The future feels bright here.

Cons

Cramped space (for now), still working out some org chart kinks as we grow, it's a startup so it's not a good environment for anyone who wants to slack off.

Advice to Management

Stay on course. Maybe more formal cross-functionality and professional development as we grow, because we're going to size out of ad hoc kitchen table conversations fast.

5. "I like working here"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

The people and the work

Cons

Can't think of anything.

"Summer Camp"

I worked at Looker full-time

Pros

The Santa Cruz Office is one of a kind. Feels like summer camp compared to most Bay Area startups. Company is growing like crazy so if you befriend the right people here your career can grow like crazy too. Senior leaders here really know what they're doing to build a successful company. Better work life balance than most startups, but the pressure is still real.

Cons

Culture demands drinking the kool-aid. Typically Santa Cruz liberal people here, and that's the way they like it.

Advice to Management

The never-never land vibe is nice but employee development means management has to be able to give criticism, not just a rosey outlook all the time.

"Best Place I've Work Thus Far"

Current Employee - Professional Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work/life balance, supportive and welcoming environment, free food, generous vacation, great product that actually makes you proud to sell it and work for the company, office culture is amazing

Cons

upward movement and next steps can be hard to find as things aren't written in stone and always changing. You really need to constantly be on the look-out for your next step and be very motivated to find your way

Advice to Management

develop more processes and procedures for regular reviews and career mapping

8. "Love Looker Love"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

-Fast paced, you're never bored here
    -Great people, great company culture, great food!
    -Great location, so many folks here commute by bike
    -The product is amazing, well respected in the field and getting lots of attention
    -A commitment to D&I and being an ethical company that lives by its values

Cons

-Can be many hours of work #startupculture
    -We're cramped for space, it's hard to get a meeting room but really, just go sit on the rooftop patio

9. "Great culture. Fantastic product"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

Free food. Work-life balance. Great people. Awesome location. Amazing company overall

Cons

parking in Santa Cruz sucks

10. "Engineering Intern"

I worked at Looker full-time

Pros

Good work culture
    Relaxed city to be in

Cons

Needed more mentorship or guidance