Looker Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Looker CEO Frank Bien
Frank Bien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Exceptional management in Santa Cruz provides great support and direction for the Dublin team (in 11 reviews)

• Great office vibe; I enjoy going to work everyday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you're not already in Santa Cruz, finding a place to live that won't break the bank can be a real and very difficult pain in the rear (in 11 reviews)

• It's growing really really fast, so there are of course some growing pains (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great product, great people, great food"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Looker (Less than a year)

Pros

No egos here, employees from the founder to the receptionist have input and dialogue on equal standing and everybody wants to make Looker better. Not to mention a great office environment with plenty of perks in beautiful Santa Cruz.

Cons

Growing pains, were cramped for space and have outgrown or kitchen space. Business processes are sometimes ad hoc but we're working on that!

2. "Rewarding and exciting time at Looker"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

An incredibly fast-paced and exciting company, with an unparalleled team of dedicated, inquisitive people. The learning and growth opportunities are vast, and the company is full of momentum. Users and creators love the product.

Cons

Demanding work environment can lead to long hours, but the team and enjoyable work help balance things out.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on scaling solutions, and preserve the strong company values to keep Looker a supportive and rewarding place to work

3. "Great Company with good Benefits"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Looker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, lots of room for continued education and growth, great culture, great benefits

Cons

It's growing really really fast, so there are of course some growing pains. You need to really advocate for yourself to get noticed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and make sure that pathways within the company remain clear.

"Amazing culture in a unique company"

I have been working at Looker full-time

Pros

Great people that are positive, hard-working, willing to help each other and are comfortable sharing their ideas. Culture values are spot on for the company and are felt in the atmosphere. These values are looked for in candidates in the interview process.

Cons

Managers need training so they can grow and improve and therefor help guide their direct reports to also grow to their greatest potential.

Advice to Management

Since the company is growing quickly, have direct reports do reviews of their managers to make sure there is transparency about performance from all levels.

"Great team, product, and things to come."

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mentors and teammates. Great environment to grow in. Good pay.

Cons

Growing quickly so culture could change but so far so good.

Advice to Management

Continue leading by example and with lots of transparency - we like and respect you all due to this.

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working here is great from a sales perspective. The team is awesome and you have a ton of autonomy as to how you want to approach a sale. We take a consultative approach and aren't forced into hard selling.

Cons

I would say the lack of any sort of advancement plan. It seems like all of the AEs are expected to be in the same role forever.

Advice to Management

Start some career coaching and actually talk to your employees about their future / what they want to be learning.

"Looker - great company, great people!"

Current Employee - Manager, Enterprise Sales Engineering in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Enterprise Sales Engineering in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy of job, hours aren't crazy. Great company culture, I actually like the people I work with, a lot. Great product, doing well. Constantly learning new skills, and meeting new interesting people.

Cons

Still a nascent company, some quirks to work through, still experiencing growing pains. You will work hard, that's for sure.

While the salaries are competitive, you'll likely be able to find something higher elsewhere with technical skills.

Advice to Management

Need to stay ahead of growing pains problems. Need better communication from top down.

"Excellent company and culture"

Pros

Smart people, great leadership, awesome technology

Cons

Growing like crazy, hard to keep up with all the new hires

Advice to Management

Keep it up, an IPO would be nice.

"Nearly Perfect with small growing pains."

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is growing lightening fast and benefits from a C-suite team with a proven track record.
    Positive workplace environment that encourages a work life balance while inspiring people to give their best.
    Fun culture with many perks.
    Very young workforce - a great place to start a career.

Cons

Because this is a young, fast-growing company some managers have been promoted based on tenure or relationships and suffer from a lack of experience/qualifications. This can show in disorganization, unclear communication, and an inability to address problems effectively. The commitment to a positive culture sometimes inhibits people from being straightforward about offering helpful criticism. You'll need to be self-aware and self-reliant when it comes to your own shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Consider leadership skills and experience/education when choosing team leads and managers. Being well-liked and successful in ones' current job doesn't mean one has the organizational and communication skills to lead a team. Provide more structured training and mentorship to help your talented team develop. Consider implementing development plans and quantifiable benchmarks to measure performance/growth.

"Software developer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Looker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The honeymoon period at Looker is over as I've worked here for over a year now and boy do I have a lot to say. You're not going to like this...

Still the best company ever. Ultra competent, humble, and transparent management and executive team. Culture is amazing and clearly communicated. The business is growing like a rocket ship. Work can be challenging but incredible intellectually stimulating. Can also take time off to recharge. Frugal - we don't burn money for unnecessary things which I think is great for the long term. It's very discouraging sometimes to see lavish perks in other VC backed companies knowing it's not money spent efficiently. Very helpful mentor ship culture - never feels shameful to ask a question. Offices almost everywhere in the world. I can keep going..

Looker is a really really special company.

Cons

New faces all the time because of the growth we are experiencing.

Not a con for me personally, but no one will hold your hand at Looker - you define your destiny here (which is perfect for me).

Santa Cruz may not be the best place to find housing, but it's still cheaper than the general Bay Area like SF.

Advice to Management

Maintain the special bond and culture that Looker has. Don't get distracted by other things and keep executing!