Lookout Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Lookout CEO Jim Dolce
Jim Dolce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance the best I've seen in any Bay Area company" (in 13 reviews)

• "Extremely promising market opportunity; mobile security is where the puck will be" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lot of growing pains - not everybody seems to appreciate difficulties with such growth - leading to friction in a number of places" (in 8 reviews)

• "Constantly high attrition rates have lead to a turnover of basically the whole company" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible product. Super smart people. Leadership is really strong. Lots of opportunity to do great work. Employees are really caring. Very little politics.

Cons

Lookout is a hidden gem of a company. Highly recommend it as a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

2. "Great place to grow professionally"

I have been working at Lookout full-time

Pros

This is truly a place you can advance your career in. Best working environment I've been in vs last 4 companies. People are smart, professional and supportive here. Being at this size, there are enough problems to tackle as both IC or manager. If you have an idea to improve something, you'll most likely get the support and endorsement you need. You'll also get recognized well which is encouraging to all, no matter what level you're at.

Cons

A little bit of bureaucracy in a few departments regarding low performers, but not widespread at all.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring!!

3. "recommending"

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for Lookout and produce very interesting and useful mobile security apps. The variety of products that we work on and the modern tools that we use don't let engineers to get bored or so.
    There are many activities besides coding. My favorite is - three paid volunteering days per year that I use for volunteering at tennis tournaments.

Cons

Project management needs some improvements.

4. "Lookout is a collaborative, open and exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Marketint in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketint in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lookout full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From my first day, I could tell that everyone respected and enjoyed working with each other. Everyone is supportive and wants to see their peers succeed.

Cons

I cannot think of any

Advice to Management

Keep hiring leaders that are open and foster a creative and collaborative atmosphere.

5. "Leader in a great market"

I worked at Lookout full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Top-notch talent across the board. Very strong sales team.
    - Disciplined leadership that knows how to make a great company and grow for the long term
    - Mobile security market is huge and still in the early part of the growth curve

Cons

- Great place if you want to contribute and be a part of making a good company. Not great if you aren't motivated and excited by the change that comes with growth.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and keep the product lead in the market.

"Horrible Employee Morale and Bad Work Environment"

I have been working at Lookout full-time

Pros

Finally moved to a better space. Product has potential but revenue is low.

Cons

Good employee's constantly leave the company...no trust in mgmt and no help from HR. CEO has no personality and is rude to his employees. Leadership does not know how to motivate and engage there teams.

Advice to Management

Company needs a complete culture shift. NEW leadership is desperately needed before the exodus continues from this toxic environment.

"This is a test one two three"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great potential and amazing product.

Cons

Too much politics and nepotism.

"March 2018 Sales Kickoff Event - Rooming Requirements"

I have been working at Lookout full-time

Pros

Really enjoy the company but I am really offended and uncomfortable about the below

Cons

No longer looking forward to this and stressed.

Advice to Management

Executive Leadership needs to please reconsider their recent decision to have employees share a hotel room for upcoming sales kick off meeting in March 2018. There is an option to get a single room but the company is having the employee pay out of pocket difference of185 a night (3 night event). I don't know about management but thats a lot to have to personally pay for a mandatory company sponsored event. So the option is to give up personal privacy/comfort or pay out of pocket...doesn't seem right and the following considerations seemed to have been completely overlooked and considered:

"Negatives about Shared Rooms on Business Travel. Employees should never be asked to share a room with a coworker, not under any circumstances including saving money during tough economic times. While I'm not certain it's a legal issue - although I can certainly conjure up harassment scenarios - it is a respect issue.

Employees who travel for business to benefit their employer should be treated with the respect and regard that they deserve. This includes privacy, a place for downtime away from coworkers, and the opportunity to relax without having to worry about the opinions, feelings, habits, and stuff of a coworker.

Possible violations of ADA by placing an employee with an accommodated medical condition in a situation where he or she does not have full privacy for the medications, medical equipment or room accommodations they may require. By requiring employees to share rooms, you violate their privacy and may cause them to disclose medical information they don’t want to share. Even if you require sharing rooms, an employee with a medical condition should be able to ask for a single room.

The potential benefits of camaraderie and team building are overwhelmed by the lack of privacy and the stress engendered by sharing a space with a stranger with whom the employee is not intimate. Employees are vulnerable when they sleep and even well-liked coworkers in the same room can interfere with sleep. And, in a shared setting, the employee gets no real downtime after working or traveling all day.

If you respect your employees, your employees should not have to listen to a coworker snore, smell their stinky socks, work around their toiletries in the bathroom, share the soap in the shower, listen in on their phone calls, deal with their clothing and hygiene habits, or put up with their late night work habits.

Working effectively daily with coworkers requires a certain amount of respect and privacy. Asking employees, who maintain their self-determined professional distance from each other at work, to violate these rules of conduct on the road destabilizes patterns of interacting. Employees develop their comfort zones and behaviors that help them cope with the workplace over time.

Employers cannot expect that the disruption of these distance and space needs will benefit employees. Seeing your coworker walk around a hotel room wearing a towel when you're used to seeing her across a conference table wearing a business suit creates discomfort. While some employees may be unphased, others will be deeply uncomfortable. Why risk it?

An employee who is giving up hours of his or her free time, and spending time away from the family for a business purpose, should have a private room to retire to for breaks and in the evening. The employee should be able to call home without an audience, drink a few cocktails without a disapproving observer, work until the wee hours of the morning, or call it an early night without worrying about the needs of a coworker.

Employees who have just spent breakfast, lunch, and dinner together plus attended all day meetings with fellow employees, deserve a place for solitude and rejuvenation. Sharing a room is not a team building event and it may result in damaged work relationships even if both of the employees are respectful and mindful of adult behavior.

Business travel is stressful enough, and your employees are already voluntarily giving you hours of their time, without adding one more layer of potential stress and offensiveness. Give your employees the respect they deserve. Unless good friends ask to room together, employees should never be asked to share rooms.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborate work culture, Great mix of startup and experienced cultures, Super flexible on work schedules and understanding of work life balance

Cons

Distance from public transport in MA

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to recruit top talent

10. "Growing company with growing opportunities for employees"

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lookout full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lookout values diversity and gives flexibility to employees while keeping the work challenging. Since the day I joined I have been learning a lot about the industry, our products and best practices in my filed from my team and this experience has been truly enjoyable.

Cons

I am looking forward to move to the new office space. The current space lacks a bit of energy.