Lookout Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Lookout CEO Jim Dolce
Jim Dolce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance the best I've seen in any Bay Area company (in 11 reviews)

• THE company leading in mobile security (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains of redoing/improving infrastructure (in 6 reviews)

• Success and rapid growth led to technical debt, which has been painful to pay down (in 6 reviews)

"Sr. Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are nice and smart
    Nice office with great view
    Free Friday lunch
    Gym and transportation benefits

Cons

Management problem
    Engineers do not really know what happened to company, at least second part of the year in 2017
    Lots of smart people have left the company

"Smart Engineers - Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

* Cool problems to solve
    * Smart and fun people to work with
    * Nice Office
    * Work life balance

Cons

* Removed most of the perks
    * Tech VPs don't know what they are talking about. One of them caused around 15+ people to leave in his first year.
    * Promotions are awarded based on politics instead of merit.
    * Deployment pipeline has been broken for 1.5 years now.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel internally. Focus on our core competencies. Fire senior architects that have not achieved anything in years apart from making people miserable.

"Ton of potential and the Grit to make it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Endurance and iteration, experienced leadership, smart people. The company is a very visible brand in the industry with a solid, friendly team. People here aren't robots, they care about each other and are willing to fight for the team.

Cons

The company was hit with heavy institutional investment, pumping up expectations that no company at that stage could realize that quickly. Growing pains ensued; but with the appointment of smart business leadership those pains are "weakness leaving the body" so to speak.

Advice to Management

Seek out and attack promotion-by-appeasement via metric-driven engineering promotions. This has become pretty industry standard for engineering-heavy companies (I think Okta has a good, metric-driven approach).

"Experiences of an Intern"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fun place to work, smart people to learn from, and good food for catering. The office is in a convenient location, and has a great view of the Financial District. Though I expect this is true of SF in general, people there really believe in and support diversity.

Cons

Fewer intern events throughout the term. "Hackternoons" seem unimportant, which undermines the startup culture. Sometimes politics allowed for less qualified people to be in roles they shouldn't have been in (and yes, even I, as an intern, noticed this).

Advice to Management

Listen to the top people on your team(s). Assign the best people to mentor the interns (if they want to). I feel like this section is difficult to fill in, as an intern.

"Layoffs In Progress"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lookout full-time

Pros

When I joined it was a very promising company, and in my time there I was able to grow in my field and make the next step in my career.

Cons

At this time career growth is very limited, and most people who have worked in this company for 1-2 years have either not gotten a promotion or raise or had to fight or finesse their way to one.
    Year over year employee benefits, events, outings, and team offsites have been cut back.
    In addition, there's been a lot of dramatic stories of people leaving the company lately, most of them not willfully, and these people definitely didn't deserve it. Things like backdoor deals and confidentiality agreements forcing people to willfully walk away from their jobs. That's just not the way to run a company in 2015 San Francisco. Needless to say, if you're taking a job here, make sure you have a backup plan. I've never seen more people fuming mad about management's decisions in my career.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest about the status of the company. Care about the lives and future of your employees.

"Growing Company with Tons of Potential"

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The opportunity to build products that have a meaningful impact on people's lives.

- Solid work/life balance. Flexible hours. Working from home occasionally isn't a problem. One month of paternity leave.

- Lookout values transparency. Employees are trusted with information that wouldn't be widely shared in other companies.

- Lookout values diversity. A grassroots steering committee has been formed to ensure Lookout continues to foster an environment (and opportunities) for people of all backgrounds and identities.

- No micro-management. As an engineer, I'm able to manage my time independently during our 2-week iterations.

Cons

- There's been some attrition as Lookout's transitioned from a startup into a growth company.

Advice to Management

- Find creative ways to re-engage long-time employees who may be getting burnt out in their current roles.

"No career advancement in place and they just play with your career"

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* nice coworkers
    * nice office

Cons

* they don't really have plans for career advancements, they play with your career and make you made a decision. for a company this size they really need to get their act together, and this is not only the HR to blame but the Engineering, PM and the companies' leadership.
    * compensations are ok
    * promotion are far and in between and you have to beg for them.

"Going from great to reasonably good."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lookout offers very competitive salaries. Given their budget constraints, the office and IT staff really take good care of the engineers with up-to-date laptops, good screens, and good AV tools. The physical space is pretty nice as well. The benefits are well above average including very generous stipends for mobile phones and gym memberships.

Cons

The company is loth to promote from within. It's also changing from an engineering-first company to a sales-first company. Turnover is pretty high, and decision making is slow. It's hard to make a difference.

Advice to Management

Recognize and respect the talent within the organization.

9. "Very smart people, great work enviroment"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lookout as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

very interesting people, great office, interesting products

Cons

the management was inconsistent, employess sometimes lacked productivity

Advice to Management

consistency in product director

"The company of the post-pc era"

I have been working at Lookout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with talented engineers.

- Work in an agile environment (Kanban).

- Quality is at the core of what we do: dedicated QAs for each team, code review required before submitting code (and it must be tested).

- If something goes wrong, you will be heard. Management is very proactive. Also, HR is very worried about the happiness of their employees.

- Good leadership across the company. Good vision of where we are headed.

- The open culture and transparency. Everything you should know about the company is in the Wiki, and every Friday there is a company all-hands where the execs share their vision of the future.

- Kitchen full of snacks, drinks. Also don't miss, frittatas on monday and waffles on wednesday :)

Cons

Nothing. Oh, may be you should work out while you're there given all the sweets that you might end up eating (did I mention every new employee gets to share a couple of cupcakes or cookies, courtesy of Lookout, on his first day to get to know his/her coworkers?) But that sounds good, you will get a refund on part of your gym membership!