LoopUp Business Development Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

LoopUp Business Development Associate Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2020

2.7
LoopUp Co-CEOs Steve Flavell & Michael Hughes (no image)
Steve Flavell & Michael Hughes
  1. "Good starting job."

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at LoopUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, good company culture, fun environment.

Cons

Growing company, difficulty to accrue commissions.

LoopUp2020-01-23
  2. "Good paying entry level position"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate

I have been working at LoopUp full-time

Pros

Good coworkers, pay, and benefits

Cons

Cold calling and the bonus structure

LoopUp2019-09-19

"Straightforward Sales Position"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate

I worked at LoopUp full-time

Pros

Great upward mobility for the sales track for company is growing quickly

Cons

Less than market wage for San Francisco

LoopUp2019-08-13

"Absolutely abysmal"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LoopUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

-honestly, if you get hired here you will discover quickly that there are none

Cons

-Any 5 star review written about this company is either written by moronic employees of this company itself, or someone so new that they have yet to discover the complete utter disgrace this company truly is -Listen to every single 1 star review you see, they are 1,000% correct and spot on with regard to the Mt. Everest of dysfunctional issues this company has -Do not listen to any 5 star reviews, there is a reason there are so many horrifying reviews on this company so do not give in to fake ones written by management of this catastrophic company

LoopUp2019-09-05

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate

I have been working at LoopUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything is positive so far

Cons

Just typical things true to any job, nothing glaring

LoopUp2019-01-27

"Current Graduates Beware"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LoopUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The health insurance is good

Cons

I'm assuming you're a recent graduate or someone looking to get into sales. Please save yourself time and energy and dont come here. They've probably given you the story on how they are growing super rapidly and expanding worldwide. Thats a lie. They are only expanding their sales teams and not investing in innovating or improving the product. In a competitive market which requires video, LoopUp has failed to adapt. No video, no chat integration, etc. Meanwhile Zoom, Skype, WebX are all improving and innovating their products. To be fair, the engineers are all talented and work with what they are given. They are all very good engineers with great backgrounds and qualifications. The Sales teams, not so much. They hire recent grads since they know that you are perhaps a bit more gullible and will eat up the story of moving up the corporate ladder quickly. All this while paying you under market-level salaries. Now I understand you're thinking that salespeople make money through commission, and you're right. However, not at LoopUp. They have a high watermark structure, meaning you ONLY GET COMMISSION ON NEW REVENUE. Imagine you chase someone for a year and the account is worth $10k and they max out their spending during their 1st month. Well, congrats! You're only getting commission during that one month unless they go over $10k spent, which is HIGHLY unlikely. The people are no better. Management is incompetent and very irresponsible. The COO has absolutely no idea what he is doing, or at least thats projected through his decisions. The US Directors provide absolutely no leadership. Now for those in SF, your fellow BDA's and SE's provide you with very few learning opportunities. As a matter of fact, some will try to go behind your back when they see that you are working hard and doing well. A particular SE has actually yelled at fellow BDA's for booking meetings for her since she 'wasn't prepared for them'. She will stress over meetings and will perform badly in them and turn around and blame the BDA's who booked them. Whenever she is in a bad mood, the entire office will know it, as she will take it out on others. In short, the office culture and management is very toxic. It allows you to learn nothing other than how to make 100+ cold calls to people who do not want to talk to you (A skill and duty which is bound to become obsolete within the next years) . If you've gotten an offer, my only advice is to think it out. Make a Linkedin account and message former employees from the SF office and get their perspective. Most will tell you that they've left due to the toxicity of the office and its clique of particular individuals, as well as due to the incompetence of the leadership teams.

LoopUp2019-02-08

"Business Development Associate"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LoopUp full-time

Pros

- great healthcare and management is flexible with PTO

Cons

- everything done is entirely out of date. you will spend HOURS copying and pasting hundreds of emails, 90% of the time getting zero responses. - there is no organization, and management is no help - you are basically a telemarketer, expected to cold call at least 100 times a day - because management is based out of the UK they are clueless about how to operate sales teams in the US because of difference in culture - they will boast about your opportunity to grow within the company yet "growth" entails enduring a long outdated process with hardly any pay raise - commission is team based. no matter how well you do you will rely on a sales executives to actually close deals before you see anything. - the commission structure is one of the strangest i have ever seen. as a BDA you soon find out it doesn't matter how many meetings you book because you do not directly see any commission because of it. there is no incentive. - micromanagement is prevalent

LoopUp2018-12-06

"Optical Illusion"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in New York, NY

I worked at LoopUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

For the New York office, you get to work in a WeWork space. That's about it. Opportunities available to visit Boston, San Fran, and maybe the HQ in London if you're lucky. Free healthcare as well.

Cons

I want to be completely transparent with who ever reads this review, because if I can guess, you're about to graduate college and are looking to move to NYC for your first job and are considering applying or have done so already and have accepted an offer from them. I'll start with the culture. When I started at LoopUp, the culture and office and environment was very relaxed, collaborative, and you actually felt like you were coming into a family. We had happy hours, we hung out outside of work, it seemed like the perfect mix of work and play which is important to have. But after a few months, the culture slowly shifted from that to something that requires you to walk on egg shells, to not feel like you have a voice, to literally dread coming into work everyday. You are also singled out and made to feel like a pariah if you don't eat, sleep, and breathe conference calling, and are made so uncomfortable and alone until you start faking positivity and then management will leave you alone. Which leads me to my next point: the job, the day to day, and the perception of the job versus the reality of the situation. The job, albeit being advertised to be a very dynamic position, is nothing like it. You're a telemarketer. You're a telemarketer with a fancy title to hide the fact that you're a telemarketer. y Management will say that it's not luck, but thats false. It's 100% luck. Maybe you'll have someone answer, but 75% of the time they hang up on you, unsubscribe from your email, or tell you no thanks on linkedin. There's nothing else you can do, but management doesn't see it like that. They've been with the company for so long, and if you're struggling, be prepared for incredibly uncomfortable and threatening conversations where you're constantly asked "what can you do differently?" and you just sit there because you both know that there's nothing you can do. This ties in to my next point about the pay and commission structure. If you didn't know already, LoopUp is an English company, and with that, you're pay frequency is once a month. ONCE. A. MONTH. So if you're moving to the city from out of state, you're going to struggle extremely hard to pay rent, pay for your subway card, and basically have a social life and you're going to have to rely on your parents or whoever for financial aid. The only redeeming quality is that this past January as an act of desperation the senior level executives raised the base salary by $7k because a lot of people were leaving because of it. This wouldn't be an issue if you were constantly getting commission every month, but this isn't the case. And commission is the only reason why anyone gets into sales. At LoopUp the commission structure is incredibly perplexing and complicated. It's not like in a normal role where you close a client and then get commission based off of how much the annual reward would be, here its based off ramping, usage, watermarks, etc. B. Also, there is a 401k plan, but the company doesn't match, which is pretty demoralizing as theres really no point of contributing to one if there's no match. Perhaps the biggest issue here is that there is no HR. There is no managerial training, and management is disrespectful and uses fear mongering as a tactic to try and motivate you to perform. There is not a single person who is happy in that office. In any sales environment, you're never as good as your last month. So if you had a good month, and then a slower one the next, be prepared to go from being praised to ostracized in a matter of days. They will ask you to stay late to call, to come in on Saturdays and give up your weekends. Completely ridiculous. This office is the most toxic environment I've ever seen.

LoopUp2018-05-10
  9. "LoopUp: A great company and a family for life"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at LoopUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are thinking about applying for the BDA position at LoopUp... do it! The first time I interviewed with LoopUp, it was very professional and I felt like the company was genuinely interested in who I was and the type of skills I could contribute. As a psychology major, I was nervous about working in a sales position. I didn't know if I had what they were looking for, but LoopUp is not your typical company. They are looking for a variety of people from different backgrounds and stress the importance of diversity. When I was first hired 9 months ago, I was given exceptional training and was welcomed into the LoopUp family with open arms. Over the past year I have built great relationships with peers and mentors from all over the world. Another thing I love about LoopUp is the fact that teamwork is highly encouraged. Here, hard work does not go unnoticed and individual success is also celebrated. If you are looking to join a company that has great benefits, career progression, and a happy and healthy work environment, this is the company to work for.

Cons

Honestly, there isn't anything negative to say. My experience has been overall pretty great.

LoopUp2017-05-16

"Amazing opportunities for entry-level employees"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at LoopUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

LoopUp is truly a wonderful company to work for. They provide all employees with excellent training, pay, and benefits, especially for entry-level positions. Career progression is based on merit; everyone you work with has been in your position before. There's also a great emphasis on teamwork.

Cons

Really nothing. I've been with the company for five months and I'm extremely happy.

LoopUp2017-04-24